UNO looks to add football, build stadium (1 Viewer)

I never understood why UNO didnt have a football team - so many 2/3 star players just in GNO area that could get a great education AND stay home AND play ball.

Maybe things have changed but back when I was there (35 years ago, gulp) it was strictly a commuter school that would not have had enough support or funding to delve into the college football business….Heck, even when UNO had a good basketball team there weren’t a ton of students at the games….

Maybe things have changed but back when I was there (35 years ago, gulp) it was strictly a commuter school that would not have had enough support or funding to delve into the college football business….Heck, even when UNO had a good basketball team there weren’t a ton of students at the games….

The article said it would be funded largely by student fees ($400 for full-time, $300 for part-time). Not sure if that's per year or semester, probably year.

They had people during the Tim Floyd years. The UNO vs ULL basketball rivalry was always a sell out back when they played in Sun Belt . When Sun Belt went to football nobody said it would survive. Now the conference school's are beating Texas A&M , Notre Dame, etc.

I went to UNO 90-91 and was there during the Tim Floyd years. The men's team had that tall, talented guy who was from Baton Rouge. Can't remember his name. I had a class with him and that dude was big. But I went to many of the home games. The only person I ever saw bigger than him in real life was Shaq, when I transferred to LSU in Fall 91.

I went to UNO 90-91 and was there during the Tim Floyd years. The men's team had that tall, talented guy who was from Baton Rouge. Can't remember his name. I had a class with him and that dude was big. But I went to many of the home games. The only person I ever saw bigger than him in real life was Shaq, when I transferred to LSU in Fall 91.
Erwin "not Magic" Johnson. They found him working at a supermarket in Baton Rouge.

The article said it would be funded largely by student fees ($400 for full-time, $300 for part-time). Not sure if that's per year or semester, probably year.

I would be pe’od if I was a student and had to pay for a likely to fail football program….
Erwin "not Magic" Johnson. They found him working at a supermarket in Baton Rouge.

I remember him, he had a long NBA career….

I would be pe’od if I was a student and had to pay for a likely to fail football program….

I remember him, he had a long NBA career….

I wouldn't be universally loved, that's for sure.

why the rush to build a stadium? (other than the usual moneygrabs)

rent the dome first and see if the program flies

They had people during the Tim Floyd years. The UNO vs ULL basketball rivalry was always a sell out back when they played in Sun Belt . When Sun Belt went to football nobody said it would survive. Now the conference school's are beating Texas A&M , Notre Dame, etc.

my "claim to fame" was quoting a "draft insurance" policy for Bo McCalebb ;)

( didnt get as he wasnt drafted )

Tulane moved out of the dome for a reason. All non-ticket revenue goes to the Saints, so that would be a non-starter.
Look whose name is on Yulman field . Just FYI. The Tampa Bay Bucs owner also has his name on the club level. Both contributors of Yulman stadium.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom