Unsubstantiated Rumor: Davenport Injury and Saints Looking for Speed Rush DE (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
In conversation with Guido this morning and we conferenced in Lawn Guy Dave to verify - lol, here's his update on Davenport and Saints trade efforts....

The Elbow injury happened in the offseason. It is serious. The Saints will make a decision in the next 2-3 weeks, or maybe less, on what to do with him for the year. The coaches are still concerned about his ability to push off his right foot, but this is an unknown until he gets extensive playtime.

The serious elbow injury happened during the offseason. The coaches are frustrated with him mainly because he has not participated to the level desired by the coaches in the offseason. They need to keep him constantly under guidance which was not possible the way they wished this year because of the virus. The Coaches think the offseason lack of production and conditioning has to do with Marcus depression so they are being a little light on him. If the right offer came along, they would trade him now.

The Saints have been talking to multiple other teams about trading for a strong speed rusher. Without Davenport, opponents are stacking against Cam Jordan and without a front 4 pass rush, the coaches are very concerned about the season.

I certainly understand their frustration with Davenport but if that's the case why weren't they more aggressive in the offseason. And why hasn't Zach Baun been on the field on pass rushing situations.

Elbow? How did that happen? Wait what and Lawn guy Dave confirmed it? This is Sedrick Ellis territory now.

He's flashed some great capabilities, but his demeanor has always seemed iffy. Not like Kwahi quiet, but a sad tone to him. The vibe of New Orleans may not be the best fit for him. I would hate to see the Saints give up on him with as much as they've invested. In years past he never seemed out of shape, but for a depressed person to be stuck in the house because of Covid it may have did a number on him. I hope he finds his way beyond the football field.

Caveat: Swimmer thread

I hope the part about him not participating fully in off-season work is not true.

If it is true then it feels like this is a mental factor that brass should have known about before committing two first rounders to him. If this is true, then man, . . . what an absolute whiff by the front office and CSP. What a bust.

Man, if only we drafted a young talented pass rusher in the draft this past year... oh wait.

Also, don't draft weebs in the first round.

Yah to be honest I hope we don’t trade him and IR him. Than trade a 2nd for a good DE. Can never have too many than maybe next year we have 4-5 good des

How "Unsubstantiated" is this really, when we know the Saints offered Clowney like a bizilion dollars to come here?

Really though.... this is far from Unsubstantiated IMO... they are definitely concerned with Davenport, and they have been looking for a DE because of it.

Last edited:
I certainly understand their frustration with Davenport but if that's the case why weren't they more aggressive in the offseason. And why hasn't Zach Baun been on the field on pass rushing situations.
THIS.

Another reason I get on coach Payton b/c he never has a plan B. It’s just like he says we’ll see what happens when the season starts. Everson Griffin was out there the whole offseason, yet they did nothing to get him. Ugh. Just doesn’t make sense.

Dont think the Saints can get much for Davenport at this point. Only hope is he gets healthy and delivers big, then see what offseason haul you can get for him.

On that note Granderson needs to see the field more. In the small sample I've seen from him he is a natural disruptor.

I have absolutely ZERO expectations for Davenport at this point, so anything positive he produces if he ever sees the field this season is complete lagniappe. Season-ending injuries every season as a pro, coupled with psychological issues have taken all of the shine off of his star.

Basically all that’s left in the free agent bargain bin is Jabaal Sheard and Clay Mathews.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom