Upcoming 3-4 LB Free Agents. (1 Viewer)

Spencer and Kruger were the defensive MVPs of their teams this season. They picked a heck of a time to have career years.

Good point. What does that tell us? They under-played the earlier years of their contract and put on their best show for contract year. I wouldn't feel good about their performance after they sign a new contract.

Quentin Groves is a friend of mine from his jacksonville days. Great guy and always in the community. He is known to be seen at public parks, local barber shops or any place rich people don't go. He spent more time with us at the B-shop than he did with players at clubs and restaurants. always liked him.

We need to make big moves, which may mean that we lose some of the "stacked" offense to get a better defense. Sean has started boldly here, lets see how bold he can go. We dont need a thousand running backs or 5 extra WRs on the bench. If we can trade a RB+WR+3/4 round pick to get even one of those top named guys, we need to do it. Ellerbee, Spencer and the like, can be obtained, but we need to be smart, and willing to lose something valuable to get them.

We need to be bold. If we eye a WR than can take our crew to another level, we need to be willing (Dont faint) to move Colston. He is still valuable enough to get us something good in return. In another year or three, he may not attract the round he was drafted in, in a trade.

Part of the Saints problem, which is evidenced in other teams over the years, is that an offensive-minded coach overkills on trading/drafting for the offense...leaving the defense out there. Defensive-minded coaches have done the same, look at Rex Ryan in NY. He went out, one year and got offensive talent...and havent shopped for the offense since.

We had no business moving up to get Ingram (hindsight), but could have used that pick to move up and start working on our achilles heel.

I know what you mean Shiz but we're fundamentally an offensive club. We just need the D to play complementary football. If we deliberately weaken the offence there is no guarantee the D steps up. We will always be best as an offensive team while #9 is in the roster.

Regarding free agents, it's fun to look but honestly, where are we getting the money to sign them from? Guys like Kruger and Ellerbe aren't going anywhere and we've got enough problems trying to resign our own starters and get under the cap first. I'm not sure we'll end up with anyone in FA this year...

I know what you mean Shiz but we're fundamentally an offensive club. We just need the D to play complementary football. If we deliberately weaken the offence there is no guarantee the D steps up. We will always be best as an offensive team while #9 is in the roster.

Regarding free agents, it's fun to look but honestly, where are we getting the money to sign them from? Guys like Kruger and Ellerbe aren't going anywhere and we've got enough problems trying to resign our own starters and get under the cap first. I'm not sure we'll end up with anyone in FA this year...

Which is why we need to be willing to make hard decisions or this is all fantasy. Seriously, after reading the thread, and knowing other FA out there for DBs and DL...I began to think exactly like you. Which is why I posted what I did.

If we arent willing to lose something, then this is not a discussion.

Well not necessarily... I mean I think our Offense suffered last year from losing Nicks and I'm one of the "If Bushrod walks, we do our best to get a LT in round 1" even if that means trading back. Simply because I think the D will improve with better coaching and a better system (and a few new draft picks). The thing is, if we're putting up 35+ points power game it doesn't need to improve MUCH, if we're putting up 25 points per game the defence has got to get waaaaay better and I think that's going to see us waste Drew's window.

Well not necessarily... I mean I think our Offense suffered last year from losing Nicks and I'm one of the "If Bushrod walks, we do our best to get a LT in round 1" even if that means trading back. Simply because I think the D will improve with better coaching and a better system (and a few new draft picks). The thing is, if we're putting up 35+ points power game it doesn't need to improve MUCH, if we're putting up 25 points per game the defence has got to get waaaaay better and I think that's going to see us waste Drew's window.

No on O in first.

Always good to see your reasoning!

:aargh:

LOL, I did not want to say the same things smart folks in the "Draft an Oline before Defense" thread have already said. Olinemen coming right into the league need time...best that we continue improving what we have in stables there. Defense guys can come out and explode year one. Need to go that route.

Bring in a mix of older vets in their twilight and some non-starters. Coaches need help out there when you are short in players with 3-4 experience. Kruger would be great, but Grant and Groves/Phillips would be awesome.

Somewhat off topic, but not entirely... Does anyone know what position Braylon Broughton projects best to in a 3-4 set? I know he's still very raw, but his measurables are extremely impressive! I think he's like 6'6, 270lbs. Would he better at DE or OLB?

If we can trade a RB+WR+3/4 round pick to get even one of those top named guys, we need to do it. Ellerbee, Spencer and the like, can be obtained, but we need to be smart, and willing to lose something valuable to get them.

Ellerbe, Spencer, and "those top named guys" in the thread are all free agents. Who do you propose we send these hypothetical RB/WR/pick to in order to acquire them?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom