FA Upcoming FA: Gerald Everett, TE, Rams (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
Jared Cook is set to become an UFA, and with his age and inconsistent play, he should not be back on the Saints next season. Adam Trautman flashed the ability to become a complete TE, and his blocking was really a pleasant surprise. However, the Saints could benefit from replacing Cook with an athletic pass-catching TE to be a threat in the seam and viable receiver. This is also going to be difficult because of the cap situation for the Saints, so BIG name options aren’t realistic.

Gerald Everett: Everett is a pure receiving TE and would be a perfect fit in the Saints offense. He is a mismatch piece that can be moved around, and he has very good RAC ability. Everett should not carry a hefty price tag, and he is still in his prime age range. With Trautman as the in-line TE, Everett could be a very nice complimentary piece.

I highly doubt we will be spending a lot of money on outside FAs. I would bet our concentration will be on signing our own and getting under the cap. I do have some hope that the cap will be higher than previously anticipated though, given the added game next season.

For years now a good pass catching TE has been a priority. SP loves to use them in mismatches. It will be interesting to see how they approach the position.

They have one dual threat TE and one blocking TE. Cook will be gone, unless an attack of insanity strikes the front office. Two questions arise: are injuries catching up with Josh Hill? And, who will be the QB? If Winston or a new QB wins the job, then Taysom can be a third TE for some plays, and maybe Garrett Griffin (blocker) could fill that role. If Taysom wins the QB job, then Griffin simply becomes the third TE. Or, you can substitute a new player for Griffin. If Josh Hill is gone, they would need a TE who is primarily a blocker.

All that said, someone like Everett is a very low priority. Let's look to the draft.

First things first. Keep the horses in front of the cart. We got about 100 million salary dollars to knock off. So get under the CAP before talking about bringing in free agents.

Jared Cook is set to become an UFA, and with his age and inconsistent play, he should not be back on the Saints next season. Adam Trautman flashed the ability to become a complete TE, and his blocking was really a pleasant surprise. However, the Saints could benefit from replacing Cook with an athletic pass-catching TE to be a threat in the seam and viable receiver. This is also going to be difficult because of the cap situation for the Saints, so BIG name options aren’t realistic.

Gerald Everett: Everett is a pure receiving TE and would be a perfect fit in the Saints offense. He is a mismatch piece that can be moved around, and he has very good RAC ability. Everett should not carry a hefty price tag, and he is still in his prime age range. With Trautman as the in-line TE, Everett could be a very nice complimentary piece.
Not likely. Trautman and Josh Hill will be the 2 main TEs.

Payton doesn't stand for players who lack ball security. Cook wont be back. T. Hill should be concerned.
I think we still have Garrett Griffin on the PS and wasnt there a TE from ND that was in camp who they liked?

I would like to sign him. Obviously the market will likely dictate whether thats realistic

I'd prefer we roll with Trautman and instead load up our war chest to swing for the fences at the QB position, either for Watson or for Jimmy G.

Jimmy G? With all due respect, swinging for the fences would not include Garoppolo.

Jimmy G sounds like a consolation prize if you miss out on everyone else and are left holding the bouquet. I’d rather see the Saints re-sign Winston than Jimmy G, and I can’t stand wINsTon

Jimmy G is not very good. in an offense with weapons and tons of trickery he still couldn't light it up. I'll pass.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom