Upcoming salary cap shrinkage (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
(Yes, some argue that the cap won’t actually shrink - but let’s go with the hypothetical that it will)
So everyone assumes that the shrinking will be bad for Saints - that it will force us to drop valued players
What I haven’t heard is perspective about the whole league
The contraction would apply to all teams, correct?
every team is going to struggle to retain its own players and won’t really have capital to shop for upgrades
Will there even be a free agency if the salary cap shrinks?

I think the problem is player values going up with cap going down. i think we will see more guarantee money. and more back loaded contract. Also slot of restructuring.

If no team has the cap to pay some player what he expected to because of the lower salary cap he will have to sign for less.

I think there is a real possibility of a drop off on contracts total value around the league.

Aren't the Saints projected to be $70 million over the non reduced projected cap?
Loomis will have to get extra creative depending on what the number ends up being.
Some teams are well below the current cap, they will be in a better position.

The reality is that the Saints have a really good and really deep team. You can't pay everyone. I'd be surprised if the Saints didn't lose at least one very important player even if the cap doesn't change. If there is a substantial reduction in the salary cap, I think that you have to be even more conservative. We are already accumulating dead cap as it is. Eventually, the bill will be paid.

If no team has the cap to pay some player what he expected to because of the lower salary cap he will have to sign for less.

I think there is a real possibility of a drop off on contracts total value around the league.
This is most logical
But PA isn’t worth it’s salt if they let that happen but get nothing in exchange

Ahhh. Huh Hugh he said shrinkage!

CF6D340B-59A8-44AA-BF79-AB7A21DEB7CC.jpegCF6D340B-59A8-44AA-BF79-AB7A21DEB7CC.jpeg
tenor.gif

Saints are 101 million over next year's projected salary cap. On paper, that's the worst in the league. If Drew retires next year, that'll recoup 13.5 million.

But it may not be as bad as it sounds. This article goes into detail.

LINK

If the cap really goes down, the only people it really hurts will be the players.
They will all test Free Agency and no one will have money to spend, so their contracts will end up being pennies on the dollar.

If anything, as an Agent I would be working with the GM my client was playing for to work on back loaded contracts.

I think you'll see a TON of extensions with backloaded deals.

Lots of players playing on 1 mill salaries next season.

I’ve been thinking about this. Hypothetically, all things being equal, if the cap drops that much, I’d guess most other teams not in tank mode would take more of a Loomis approach. Kicking the can down the road, essentially.

My question is— how much can that be done? If everyone is backloading contracts to a higher level, is it not possible for the Saints FO to ramp up their practice of this to an even higher level?

We all read about the bill coming due eventually- but wouldn’t the only cap hits that FOs can’t avoid be dead money hits? I know this probably depends highly on the players willingness to restructure to spread out their cap hits coming due. But let’s say most are willing to restructure as a result of a weird Covid year, and the promise of growing future money being better than a smaller, more up-front contract with a shrinking cap across the league.

Could the Saints actually milk another couple of seasons out of their key guys AS A RESULT of the dropping cap next year? (i.e. players get promised more money down the road since the cap should explode up in the next couple of seasons. Plus the fact that most everyone on earth is making sacrifices this year- would that make the players more likely to make some in some weird psychological way?)

not saying this is the case. Or even anything more than a shot in the dark. I don’t know all the rules. I need like a 3 day seminar on NFL Salary rules and structure of contracts from some FO guys. The whole thing has always been interesting to me.

Two words.
1. Mickey
2. Loomis

He knows, and he’s got this.
Has he ever not handled it beautifully?

Sit back and just enjoy our incredible football....and know Mickey is going to do his thing.

I'm more concerned with the dead cap money that we will be faced with if Drew retires after this year. I think we're on the hook for another 20 even if he's not on the roster.

If the cap shrinks next season then it's going to really hurt the veterans because the decision to cut the high cost aging vet vs the young guy with potential will get pushed over the top. It's also going to rip the Saints to shreds.

We don't have a single player we can cut and save a Million dollars. It's like we are upside down in 25 car payments at the same time. It may even be worse than after we resigned Roman Harper, Will Smith and Vilma to big contracts well after their prime, then signing Junior to a huge contract. That offseason set this team back 3 years.

If the cap goes down, we will have to restructure contracts that are already extremely backloaded just to stay below the cap and keep core players. It actually reminds me of the financial crisis when housing went down in value, something nobody ever factored in. If the NFL is smart, they take their lumps and do not let the cap decrease.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom