Update on Davenport Development from Coach Pete (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
Just got finished a major downsizing move from 3,000 ft to 750 ft. Didn't realize a couple of people could acquire so much utterly worthless crap made in China- lol. Now on to the news since starting back at the gym.

Coach Pete has been talking to a couple of his former college coaches who coached Davenport at UTSA. I know a lot of Who Dats have been concerned that Davenport may not be developing as expected. I was actually starting to get a little concerned:

1) Under the guidance of Saints coaches, Davenport has been studying enormous amounts of film of the elite DEs and 4-3 OLBs since the end of last season

2) Davenport is supposedly an extremely high football IQ player. At UTSA, the coaches pretty much let Davenport try to read the offensive play and make his own adjustments accordingly. The Saints coaches know that this causes Marcus a slight delay before he unleashes his fury, but the Saints coaches believe he has the ability to be one of the greats to ever play the position. Even if it causes a temporary slowdown in his development, his coaches are committed to feed his smart inquisitive mind all the info they can about the elite DEs

3) Some of Marcus UTSA defensive teammates used to razz him during games and tell him, "Go put the Monster move on the QB next play!" They viewed the Monster move as an explosion of immense physical brutality. As Davenport grew into his shoes, so to speak, in the last couple of years, his sheer physical power and speed would have him dominate even against one of the best offensive lines in college ball, Texas A&M. The coaches, and Cam Jordan, are dumping a massive learning curve on Marcus to develop additional moves to the Monster move. They think this will take 2-3 years for full development, but that he will be on a continual improvement path over the next few years

4) The Saints coaches believe that as he becomes more comfortable with multiple moves, he will eliminate the mental pause trying to extensively read the offense before the snap

5) On a side note, the coaches always believed Henrickson was a talent but needed a few years of pro coaching and development. In the same sense, they believe that Davenport has the ability, mind and physical, to be one of the most dominant and disruptive DEs to ever play pro ball

Edit Question: How long did it take for Cam Jordan to become the dominant DE he has become? What about some of the other greats who Davenport gets compared to like Michael Strahan and Von Miller? Did any of the recent modern elite DEs become all-pro in Y2 or Y3 or did it take longer? Thx much

Last edited:
I guess fans are inpatient especially for where he was drafted and what was given up to get him. It has been a while since we had one of those 2 headed monster. We saw glimpses of what he can be last season before his injury and we expected some big improvements this year. So far there aren't many "wow" or stand out moments to give casual fans that extra excitement about him. Personally I don't take training camp or preseason as any indications. There are plenty of players in years past that had mediocre preseason but turns out to have great season. So all these concerns are pointless at the moment. But my thing is that Trey Henderickson is playing and practicing better. If he is then he should get more playing time than Davenport as he is still learning the position.

That’ll be great if he develops into a great DE three years down the road; I hope Brees is still here at that point.

The Broncos have two very good pass rushers and no QB and are just as bad off as the Saints were when they had no defense.

I was very happy with Davenport last season because he showed glimpses of elite play.

There was one particular play last season where MD crashed down the line and blasted a running back and it was like a WOW moment if this is what we have to look forward to from him as he gets better and develops.

It takes time and it's a process and I think we'll be very happy when that process runs its course.

Okay. That explains why it looks like Marcus doesn't seem to have a plan before the ball has snapped, but that still is very odd given the play calls. When you have a one-gap responsibility and the offensive line is set, you should know pretty much what you're doing before the snap.

Maybe they're giving him two-gap responsibility every single play, I don't know.

I guess fans are inpatient especially for where he was drafted and what was given up to get him. It has been a while since we had one of those 2 headed monster. We saw glimpses of what he can be last season before his injury and we expected some big improvements this year. So far there aren't many "wow" or stand out moments to give casual fans that extra excitement about him. Personally I don't take training camp or preseason as any indications. There are plenty of players in years past that had mediocre preseason but turns out to have great season. So all these concerns are pointless at the moment. But my thing is that Trey Henderickson is playing and practicing better. If he is then he should get more playing time than Davenport as he is still learning the position.

Awesome football. That was brilliant the way you expressed that and yes I too am often one of those fans who often over-reacts to pre-season. Thx muxh. Have a grand Saturday football! Who Dat!

I was very happy with Davenport last season because he showed glimpses of elite play.

There was one particular play last season where MD crashed down the line and blasted a running back and it was like a WOW moment if this is what we have to look forward to from him as he gets better and develops.

It takes time and it's a process and I think we'll be very happy when that process runs its course.

renegadewa - you really know football. How long do you think it takes a college DE to develop into a true elite pro DE? Thx

Not making excuses for MD, BUT as raw/unpolished as he was coming in, he did have 4 sacks thru the first 7 games. No doubt, that toe injury REALLY set him back. Otherwise, he may well have had 8-10 sacks last year, which wouldn’t be too shabby for alot of DEs, let alone a rook.

Davenport was graded as a 3rd rounder that would get drafted earlier due to his year 3 projection which was "elite'. This is year 2 for him. He will win often enough with his size, strength, and athleticism, but the consistency everyone seems to expect from him, the big LEAP, may still be a year away if the scouts were correct.

Hendrickson has been written off by a lot of folks. He was a 3rd round developmental DE with a high 3rd year projection. It's starting to look like he's going to be a player in his 3rd season.

On Davenport & directed at the critics:
Davenport is so SPECIAL in his abilities that IF you are a person judging him and can’t see it by watching LAST SEASON then ya pretty much don’t have an eye for ANY TALENT...

Davenport has done moves with BOTH SPEED & POWER that have RARELY been seen from an NFL Player at his size. Period...End of Discussion....

If ya can’t see it then ya just don’t know what talent of any kind looks like.

If ya think I’m some idiot OR off base then go watch Brian Baldinger’s Twitter/Baldy Breakdowns...

Baldinger A FORMER GREAT O LINEMAN agrees with Me.

Nuff Said Haters
(Trey Hendrickson has ZERO to do with Davenport, so I left Trey outta of my analysis unlike other fools on here)

Pretty sure that was vs the Giants! Crazy athletic on the play, just glad they didn’t call the face mask on the play.

Davenport is so SPECIAL in his abilities that IF you are a person judging him and can’t see it by watching LAST SEASON then ya pretty much don’t have an eye for ANY TALENT...

Davenport has done moves with BOTH SPEED & POWER that have RARELY been seen from an NFL Player at his size. Period...End of Discussion....

If ya think I’m some idiot OR off base then go watch Brian Baldinger’s Twitter/Baldy Breakdowns...

Nuff Said Haters
(Trey Hendrickson has ZERO to do with Davenport, so I left Trey outta of my analysis unlike other fools on here)
I agree with your post except for your last sentence. No need to put down other posters like that.

Nuff Said Haters
Heck yeah

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom