Update on Thomas and Landry (2 Viewers)

Yep, It has been mostly positive. One play doesn't prove anything. I have no doubts that you haven't actually charted every play out of that formation, you're just letting a few bad plays skew your perception of it.

You have to believe that you pay more attention to the overall success of formation than Payton did to believe that you know it's bad and he didn't.

Yet you call people out for doubting Winston? Do you even hear yourself?

It’s a very simplistic read post snap, ON THE PLAY we were discussing. At least it is at the NFL level and heck this concept is for even elite HS programs/QBs. Maybe he just missed on this one, he’s human, it happens.

But this was not a tough read, this is a read that the worst of the worst QBs would read at this level. Which is somewhat concerning because we’ve seen him do it a few times now.

Trust me, I complete understand disguising coverage and blitz with good scheming. This wasn’t really that. They dummied it down and we still couldn’t get it right.

That may be on coaches as much as Winston. Being that I’ve watched Winston play in college and the pros, I think it’s more either coaching this year or he is fighting some mental things on the field with all he’s dealt with and is currently dealing with. Jmo
On that play our bunch formation is so close to the tackle that the defensive player can easily disguise his blitz.

So, that's a no. You haven't actually charted the results of every play that was run out of that formation.

At some point you decided it was bad, because of one or more bad results you saw from that formation and are now stuck in a bias confirmation loop about it.

That's why you have links to videos at the ready to show when it wasn't a positive result. What you don't have is a link to a video that shows every play that the Saints ran out of that formation over the 15 years that Payton was a coach. I doubt you even have it for the past 2 or 3 years.

Do you not understand that the Saints chart every thing about every play, including formation, the play called and the results?

Do you really think that you have a better grasp of the overall success rate of any formation than Payton did or the current staff does?

Do you really think they would keep using a formation if the majority of the time it had negative results?

If you do, then you're in no position to criticize others for doubting Winston's ability to process the game.
Dude, I'll post Drew Brees Highlight reel and it be the same...NVMD, here you go!!!

I haven't even watched it and you may have one or two from the tight formation.

Maybe. Maybe not. But this organization has started off 1-2 with a HOF QB and Coach. I think we can give a 28 year old QB returning from injury and a Head Coach and Coordinator in their first 3 games together some time. Nobody wanted to throw Drew in the dumpster when seasons started badly. We were patient. Offer them the same energy.
Drew earned that opportunity.... Winston is on shaky ground and always has been.

Drew earned that opportunity.... Winston is on shaky ground and always has been.
Right, but Jameis is only 10 starts into his Saints career. Just over half of one season. Yet folks are ready to sign a career backup in Minshew or start an aging QB who's career is almost over. I just don't think it's fair.

For those who want to sit him because of his back injury, I understand. Those that feel like they've seen enough and don't want him at all are crazy to me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom