Updating "The 12 Yats of Christmas" (1 Viewer)

B-Rich

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Last night my daughter and I heard Benny Grunch and the Bunch's local classic "The 12 Yats of Christmas" on the radio while driving in the car, and we noted how many of the places and things listed "Ain't Dere No More" (Mckenzie's, A & G, Schwegmann's, etc.).

We started talking about how the song could be updated to current times using new things.

Here are our thoughts-- love to hear yours as well:

1. On da foist day'a Christmas ma Mawmaw gave'to me,
A Crawfish' dey caught in Arabi

(still good, though where would you CATCH a crawfish in Arabi-- in a ditch, or canal?)

2. In da Christmas Picayune I seen it dere in Section E,
A Tujague's Recipe

(still good)

3. On da thoid day' a Christmas we stopped at McKenzie's,
for Three French Breads,

Okay, so of course there is no more McKenzie's. Not that I remember them being a hotspot for French bread back in the day; more like sweet treats-- cakes, pies, etc. . What could we use now?-- maybe a bonus if it rhymes with the "ee" sound of "Me"-- Maybe use the actual French bread bakeries "Binder Bakery" "Leidenheimer bakery"--- or maybe some cool newer spot such as "Dong Phuong Bakery" or "Bellegarde Bakery"

4. On the fourth day I said OK let's get a Christmas tree,
Before ya drive me nuts

(still good)

5. On the fifth day of Christmas we stopped at A&G,
For Frrried Onion Rrrings!

So obviously no more A&G. You could easily substitute "Pic-a-dilly" if you wanted to stay with a cafeteria, and it rhymes with "ee". But I've gotta think there are some better New Orleans establishments known for their fried onion rings-- hopefully one that can get us an "ee" rhyme. Ideas?.

6. On da sixth day 'a Christmas we stopped at K&B's,
For a six pack 'a Dixie

Toughie on two counts. No K&B anymore. What other kind of local chain or quick stop would have beer and rhyme with "E"? Can't think of any. Then, you've got the issue of Dixie beer, which is still available, but is not brewed here in the area any more. So you can't get it at a cheap quick stop convenience store or drugstore anyway; it'd have to be a place with a wider beer selection for retail sale. You could also swap Dixie out for Abita to keep it local, but then you miss out on the great later "Dix pack of Sixie" line... ideas? input?

7. Cemetery traffic got backed up to Metairie,
At the Seventeenth Street Canal

(still good)

8. On da eighth day of Christmas me and Rosalie,
Ate by ya Mama's

(still good)

9. On the ninth day of Christmas we drove down Delery,
In da Lower Nint' Ward

After Katrina, there was a danger of the entire Lower 9 being 'ain't dere no more", but Delery Street is still there, and there is a mix of refurbished and new houses there interspersed with many empty lots, so this still works.

10. I used'ta be at Kaiser now I'm woikin' down da street
At da Tenneco Chalmette Refinery

Still there; just have to change it to "the PBF Chalmette Refinery"-- current owners/operators are PBF Energy-- ExxonMobil sold it to them about two years ago.

11. On the eleventh day at Veteran's Highway tryin' ta cross the street,
With Eleven Schwegmann Bags

Schweggmann's is long gone. To keep it local, and on Veteran's, and with the same amount of syllables, we'd go with "eleven Rouse's bags". Though nowadays they'd probably be plastic bags, not paper.

12. On the twelfth day of Christmas my true love gave to me.
A Dozen Manuel's Hot Tamales

We came up with the PERFECT replacement for this. What else comes in a dozen, is local and delicious? (and fits in the cadence and song)?: "A dozen Drago's charbroiled oysters"

Let's hear your thoughts and ideas....

5. On the fifth day of Christmas we stopped at A&G,
For Frrried Onion Rrrings!

So obviously no more A&G. You could easily substitute "Pic-a-dilly" if you wanted to stay with a cafeteria, and it rhymes with "ee". But I've gotta think there are some better New Orleans establishments known for their fried onion rings-- hopefully one that can get us an "ee" rhyme. Ideas?.

Good onion rings at Mahony's on Magazine. Frankie and Johnny's has good ones too but that's a little long to say.

I heard Jack Dempsey's in Bywater has good onion rings but I never had them.

Good onion rings at Mahony's on Magazine. Frankie and Johnny's has good ones too but that's a little long to say.

I heard Jack Dempsey's in Bywater has good onion rings but I never had them.

Mahony's works with the song and can easily replace A&G. (MA-HO-NY'S)

Maybe we should update the National Anthem, too. All of its references are so dated.

Also, someone should digitally replace Ivan Drago in Rocky V with an isis looking fella.

I actually like these ideas

5. Charlie's Steakhouse or Acme Oyster could be wedged in, just use Acme or Charlie's, good onion rings at both

6. Could Dorignac's & Bayou Teche be a possibility? I realize that's a Lafayette beer, but it's still South La & in every grocery store

Last night my daughter and I heard Benny Grunch and the Bunch's local classic "The 12 Yats of Christmas" on the radio while driving in the car, and we noted how many of the places and things listed "Ain't Dere No More" (Mckenzie's, A & G, Schwegmann's, etc.).

We started talking about how the song could be updated to current times using new things.

Here are our thoughts-- love to hear yours as well:

1. On da foist day'a Christmas ma Mawmaw gave'to me,
A Crawfish' dey caught in Arabi

(still good, though where would you CATCH a crawfish in Arabi-- in a ditch, or canal?)

Doesn't Arabi back up to Bayou Bienvenue? And any ditch or canal will have crawfish in them, really. They're everywhere. Not sure if you'd want to berl them if you caught 'em in a drainage canal, though.

3. On da thoid day' a Christmas we stopped at McKenzie's,
for Three French Breads,

Okay, so of course there is no more McKenzie's. Not that I remember them being a hotspot for French bread back in the day; more like sweet treats-- cakes, pies, etc. . What could we use now?-- maybe a bonus if it rhymes with the "ee" sound of "Me"-- Maybe use the actual French bread bakeries "Binder Bakery" "Leidenheimer bakery"--- or maybe some cool newer spot such as "Dong Phuong Bakery" or "Bellegarde Bakery"

Leidenheimer doesn't sell direct to consumers, do they? I thought they just supplied local stores. But anything that uses "bakery" will preserve the rhyme scheme.

For a six pack 'a Dixie

Toughie on two counts. No K&B anymore. What other kind of local chain or quick stop would have beer and rhyme with "E"? Can't think of any. Then, you've got the issue of Dixie beer, which is still available, but is not brewed here in the area any more. So you can't get it at a cheap quick stop convenience store or drugstore anyway; it'd have to be a place with a wider beer selection for retail sale. You could also swap Dixie out for Abita to keep it local, but then you miss out on the great later "Dix pack of Sixie" line... ideas? input?

Yeah, can't help ya there. And I never liked Dixie, so I haven't exactly gone looking for it to see who is selling it.

For a six pack 'a Dixie

So today I was at work, not working, and I found the web site for the company that is contract-brewing Dixie, Paulaner HP USA out of Denver. According to the "beer finder" on its web site, no one within 100 miles of downtown New Orleans sells Dixie.

At first I thought the function was broken, but when I plugged in a Denver-area ZIP code, I found plenty.

Not that I demand Dixie beer. As I said upthread, I don't like it. I just found it funny that the company that is brewing Dixie under license doesn't have any retailers here.

So today I was at work, not working, and I found the web site for the company that is contract-brewing Dixie, Paulaner HP USA out of Denver. According to the "beer finder" on its web site, no one within 100 miles of downtown New Orleans sells Dixie.

At first I thought the function was broken, but when I plugged in a Denver-area ZIP code, I found plenty.

Not that I demand Dixie beer. As I said upthread, I don't like it. I just found it funny that the company that is brewing Dixie under license doesn't have any retailers here.

Very interesting info. I haven't gone looking for Dixie or noticed Dixie in awhile, but kind of surprised it's not sold here AT ALL... Truly ain't dere no more...

A few more thoughts on the process:

1. Mongoose's whole take on tradition. I get it, and while I only meant this to be a fun exercise, there's something to be said about keeping the lyrics "as is" vs. updating. My thoughts were that my daughter-- all of sixteen-- loves the song, but has no connection to many of the things referenced in it...

It's not like some songs are NOT updated (even Christmas songs). The other day, I heard a Cyndi Lauper version of "Santa Baby" where she refers to "an outer space convertible, too" rather than "a '54 convertible, too".

And Gordon Lightfoot, after some mild protests by officials at the actual Mariner's Church of Detroit (and a visit to the actual church itself), now sings "In a rustic old hall in Detroit" rather than "In a musty old hall in Detroit", when singing "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald".

But on the other hand, I also love the fact that in "Run Run Rudolph", Chuck Berry sings, "...and then away went Rudolph, whizzing like a Sabre jet", because it is such great 50s imagery, tied into that early rock and roll Christmas song...

2. I like all the possibilities for "Fried Onion Rings": Ma-ho-ney's, Jack - Demp- Sey's, by- Ac-me, by Char-lies. All good updates!

3. There is a problem I discovered with the 10th day-- by updating it from "Tenneco Chalmette Refinery" to the "PBF Chalmette Refinery", you lose the hidden reference to the number "ten" (present in TEN-neco). Not sure if this one COULD be updated. You'd have to come up with something completely different to fit the reference to "ten"-- maybe referencing maybe I-10, I-610, or the 610 Stompers.

4. Interestingly enough, while the original song was recorded in 1990, by the time the yearly-shown video was made by the group (with the assistance of the late Frank Davis) for Channel 4, there WAS no A&G anymore, and they actually filmed that part outside of Picadilly Cafeteria (looks like the one on Jefferson Highway in Metairie, which incidentally soon will be ain't dere no more, either), with what are pretty obviously Popeyes' onion rings being used:

LINK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7rUoX5_VGI

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom