N/S Urban Meyer Now Jaguars Coach (1 Viewer)

If Lawrence fails...it will have zero to do with his arm strength. Whether his arm is as strong as Mahomes or Tom Brady...it doesn't really matter.
It's not a matter of Lawrence Falling.

It's a matter of someone like Fields, Wilson or Lance ascending above him.

Someone might have graded Lawrence a 92 all season long but who's to say that pre-draft workouts doesn't elevate another guy to a 95.

That's what I mean.

And for what it's worth I already rank him as my 3rd best pocket passer behind Jones and Wilson.

I feel they both see the field, read coverages and execute better than Lawrence.

Others have also pointed out that he isn't as flawless reading coverage either.

They can. I’ve seen worse teams do it. Payton rebuilt the Saints from the ground up into a championship team in four years.
NFC championship game in year one. That is impressive. We were quite literally the bottom of the barrel in 05, understandably so, at 3-13. But still, that was a major turn around.

People are already talking about putting other prospects above Lawrence not just me.

Fields threw this pass 61 yards flat-footed.

PFF has Fields with the best deep ball accuracy in the draft and this is an example of why.

Urban Meyer doesn't come out of retirement to the Jags if Trevor Lawrence isn't the greatest NFL QB prospect since Peyton Manning.

As Much as I like Mac Jones I can easily see Zach Wilson going #1 overall.

The comparisons to Baker Mayfield and Russell Wilson are spot on.

If Wilson rips it with 60+ Ball Velocity and runs in the 4.5 range I think you even have to compare him to a guy like Kyler Murray or Andrew Luck as well.

Urban Meyer doesn't come out of retirement to the Jags if Trevor Lawrence isn't the greatest NFL QB prospect since Peyton Manning.
I'll have what you're smoking.

I'm just being light-hearted so don't take offense, but Lawrence is tremendously over-hyped.

He's not even Herbert, Mahones, Mayfield or Allen and you guys can dig this quote up next year if you want if I'm wrong.

If he turns out to be a much different or better player than Colin Kaepernick I'll be amazed.

I'll have what you're smoking.

I'm just being light-hearted so don't take offense, but Lawrence is tremendously over-hyped.

He's not even Herbert, Mahones, Mayfield or Allen and you guys can dig this quote up next year if you want if I'm wrong.

If he turns out to be a much different or better player than Colin Kaepernick I'll be amazed.
You can only compare to Herbert if you want this dug up next year...the others have had 3 years

Burrow might end up the best of all of them or at least mentioned in the same breath if his franchise matches his ability with quality

For me TL will absolutely be the real deal if he gets the cast of quality around him....IMO it's Fields that is massively over rated after all how many great QB's come out of Ohio State....Haskins is an absolute bum ....The best Ohio State QB in years is Burrow and he left town quickly

You can only compare to Herbert if you want this dug up next year...the others have had 3 years

Burrow might end up the best of all of them or at least mentioned in the same breath if his franchise matches his ability with quality

For me TL will absolutely be the real deal if he gets the cast of quality around him....IMO it's Fields that is massively over rated after all how many great QB's come out of Ohio State....Haskins is an absolute bum ....The best Ohio State QB in years is Burrow and he left town quickly
Considering that Herbert and Mayfield had the best rookie seasons ever, it's a lot to ask of Lawrence to meet or surpass that.

I mean let's get serious. Herbert had great weapons and finished with 36 tds.

But like I said, Lawrence makes little sense for the Jags by three different standards.

1) he's not the best player in the draft regardless of position. Waddle, Chase, and Smith are.

2) He doesn't have the most upside or physical talent at qb. That's Fields, Wilson, and Lance.

3) He isn't as good of a pure passer as Jones and Wilson.

I'm just not seeing what everyone else is seeing here.

?
Arm-strength isn't the be-all-end-all of being an elite passer but it can elevate already good passers to be even better and mediocre passers good.
I think the latter part of your statement in your last above-written post also reveals why powerful, extremely strong-armed QBs like Jeff George, and Dante Culpepper skills sets get over-estimated and magnified where very few scouts take into consideration other intangibles like behavior, on-and-off the field attitudes, high or low Wonderlic IQ scores, ability to read and adjust to defensive shifts or complex defensive arrangements or schemes, or whether they turn out to be malcontents. Jeff George's powerful strong arm got him innumerable chances long after Indy discarded. Some teams(Atl in 1994-95, and Minnesota in 1999), others(Washington 2000, Oakland 1997-98) he just was a decent stats guy who never really won even with decent talent around him.

Culpepper certainly wasn't a malcontent, but his overall career success has to be viewed in context of who drafted him and how stacked the roster was when he got there. Minnesota in 2000 was still a championship-caliber team loaded with All-Pros and future HOFs on both sides of the ball, plus the most electrifying WR of his era in Randy Moss. Culpepper was also a very mobile, dual threat QB when he first arrived so his mobility and speed helped cover up future problems like adapting to being a pocket passer for several years. Once Moss left and Carter departed to Miami and then retired and that great O-line he inherited retired, or was traded away and he lost a lot of his ability after his ACL injury in 2005 season, Daunte had already reached his career ceiling and was a gradual downward slope from then on out.

Considering that Herbert and Mayfield had the best rookie seasons ever, it's a lot to ask of Lawrence to meet or surpass that.

I mean let's get serious. Herbert had great weapons and finished with 36 tds.

But like I said, Lawrence makes little sense for the Jags by three different standards.

1) he's not the best player in the draft regardless of position. Waddle, Chase, and Smith are.

2) He doesn't have the most upside or physical talent at qb. That's Fields, Wilson, and Lance.

3) He isn't as good of a pure passer as Jones and Wilson.

I'm just not seeing what everyone else is seeing here.
We had this discussion yesterday, money and marketing is the part you're missing( the kid is a poster guy for a young QB). I don't disagree about the X &Os part.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom