US agrees to $3.8 Billion in annual military aid to Israel in new 10-year deal (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Israel and the United States have reached an agreement that will provide Israel an unprecedented amount of military aid over a decade.

The State Department said the agreement, known as a memo of understanding, will be signed Wednesday afternoon. Jacob Nagel, Israel’s acting national security adviser, arrived in Washington on Tuesday morning to sign on behalf of his country.

The agreement is expected to give Israel as much as $3.8 billion a year over 10 years, more aid than the United States has ever provided to any country. That represents a significant increase over the $3.1 billion the United States gives annually now, a figure that increases to about $3.5 billion a year with aid supplements approved by Congress. That is also much lower than the $4 billion to $5 billion a year that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu sought.

Netanyahu appears to have agreed to some other major concessions. The newspaper Haaretz reported that he agreed to limit Israel’s ability to lobby Congress for more aid, unless it is at war. The Israeli leader also agreed that Israel will not ask Congress for more aid to develop missile defense systems.

In another concession that was controversial in Israel’s *defense industry, Netanyahu agreed to phase out a special arrangement that for decades has allowed Israel to spend 26 percent of U.S. aid on defense research, development and procurement. No other country receiving U.S. funding is allowed to do so. But Israel was granted that exception in the 1980s so it could build up its nascent defense infrastructure. With Israel’s defense industry now thriving, the Obama administration wanted U.S. aid directed to American companies providing goods and services.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl..._hp-top-table-main_israel-620a:homepage/story

OP
superchuck500

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I see this as all about Iran. Israel remains our best proxy in the region vis-a-vis Iran, despite the fact that Isreali policy is as big of an impediment to stability in the region as any. But there is so painless strategy.

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Why was/is any foreign government alloyed to lobby our US Congress? That needs to be illegal. I don't care if they're allies or not. Our congress/government should be representing us, the people of the United States. Not foreign countries. Likewise, foreign businesses shouldn't be allowed to lobby Congress, directly or indirectly through surrogates. If your company decides it wants to move its headquarters overseas to avoid paying taxes, say goodbye to your lobbying privileges.

And can anybody explain what exactly all of our aid to Israel over all these years has netted us? What is the net benefit to the US? Other than endless war and defense spending for US Contractors (which I assume is the anchor), I just don't see it. I'm not saying we shouldn't support Israel on some level, but nearly 4 billion dollars? Come On.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why was/is any foreign government alloyed to lobby our US Congress? That needs to be illegal. I don't care if they're allies or not. Our congress/government should be representing us, the people of the United States. Not foreign countries. Likewise, foreign businesses shouldn't be allowed to lobby Congress, directly or indirectly through surrogates. If your company decides it wants to move its headquarters overseas to avoid paying taxes, say goodbye to your lobbying privileges.

And can anybody explain what exactly all of our aid to Israel over all these years has netted us? What is the net benefit to the US? Other than endless war and defense spending for US Contractors (which I assume is the anchor), I just don't see it. I'm not saying we shouldn't support Israel on some level, but nearly 4 billion dollars? Come On.
I've wondered that, but apparently, the strings attached to Israeli aid includes no longer lobbying Congress. Or is it specific to just their missile defense systems? I agree though. How other countries are able to directly lobby Congress for aid and assistance has all kinds of misuse potential. It indeed should be illegal.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Lobbying period should be totally illegal. It should be representatives holding the equivalent of British surgeries when they need/want feedback from those they represent. Private citizens should be able to communicate with them, but no flights, meals, money nada. If the companies want to get influence in Congress, let them do the right and good things to influence voters, not their representatives post election.

I fail to see any scenario where the work of a lobbyist is more democratic or better for the republic than no lobbying.

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'd just like to know why it's ok for the us to be Israel's lapdog. I swear sometimes Israel holds more sway with the us government than its citizens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I'd just like to know why it's ok for the us to be Israel's lapdog. I swear sometimes Israel holds more sway with the us government than its citizens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pipe down goy, don't go listening to those alt-right kooks.

Saint_Ward

Don't be a Jerk.
Staff member
Administrator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Lobbying period should be totally illegal. It should be representatives holding the equivalent of British surgeries when they need/want feedback from those they represent. Private citizens should be able to communicate with them, but no flights, meals, money nada. If the companies want to get influence in Congress, let them do the right and good things to influence voters, not their representatives post election.

I fail to see any scenario where the work of a lobbyist is more democratic or better for the republic than no lobbying.
Lobbying to a point is necessary. Now, I don't know enough about it to know about gifts, travel, etc to know what's reasonable vs stupid.

But the average citizen wouldn't have the drive or capability to focus on the nuts and bolts of issues like tax "fairness" or specific tax policy like Citizens for Tax Justice would be able to. Even if you agree or disagree with them.

Galbreath34

Very Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think it's up to third party non-representative groups to talk nuts and bolts with representatives. Run for office or educate voters, don't tamper with those setting policy without anyone's vote. I still fail to see any necessity in a third party group meddling there. That's not because I disagree with what that group wants, but they're basically making a pitch to private citizens or corporations, taking money then paying employees to try to redirect policy based on being bought. Policy should be determined by the conscience of representatives and their responsiveness to free votes, not paid for cajoling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)