Det. Brees

E tan e epi tas
Reaction score
Upgraded because of all the bridges that collapsed and had to be rebuilt

Goatman Saint

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Really? I sure haven't noticed it in California. I was thinking they were just letting it fall apart and then sell it to the Chinese to pay off the debt.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure the ARRA had something to do with it. That was the government spending package (aka "stimulus") that was heavily focused on "shovel ready" construction projects.

I saw numerous projects over the last two years with signs that said "ARRA Funding".

Reaction score
This is the part where our roads, health, and education failures really hurt. Sure the businesses might love the tax structure, but they also have to consider attracting good workers who will be on time, educated, and healthy. Just getting the tax structure that favors them is 1/4 of the equation. I guess it becomes a chicken or the egg scenario though. But what good is a factory or business when there are no quality workers available or willing to work there.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This is the part where our roads, health, and education failures really hurt. Sure the businesses might love the tax structure, but they also have to consider attracting good workers who will be on time, educated, and healthy. Just getting the tax structure that favors them is 1/4 of the equation. I guess it becomes a chicken or the egg scenario though. But what good is a factory or business when there are no quality workers available or willing to work there.
Exactly.

It's why DOD (on more than one occasion) has said that childhood education and nutrition in the US have gotten so bad that it now poses a national security risk. Of course, you don't hear the "national security" bloc of Congress pushing anything to change it.

Does everyone realize that Congress is having to significantly change immigration laws for skilled workers because we just aren't producing enough ourselves? I hate that education and infrastructure are considered "liberal" ideas. It's the backbone of a nation.

Devildog

Combobulated
Reaction score
Exactly.

It's why DOD (on more than one occasion) has said that childhood education and nutrition in the US have gotten so bad that it now poses a national security risk. Of course, you don't hear the "national security" bloc of Congress pushing anything to change it.

Does everyone realize that Congress is having to significantly change immigration laws for skilled workers because we just aren't producing enough ourselves? I hate that education and infrastructure are considered "liberal" ideas. It's the backbone of a nation.
No it's not. Godless heathens love learnin'! :mad:

J-Donk

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
According to Republicans we need to be building more drones, and not roads......

Anyone who thinks I am taking a potshot go read Paul Ryan's budget, and come back to me.

That reminds me we probably need a budget thread. Lots of them have come out recently. The president should be releasing one in a few days.

the-commish

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Since Ryan's is so far to the right, maybe Obama's will be far to the left, and they can meet in the middle.

Wishful thinking, I know!

Jeff Miller

Shaw 1988, NYIT 2009
Reaction score
Exactly.

Education and infrastructure are primarily state and country projects, not Federal programs. The Feds have gotten their hands into local issues by giving federal funds to supplement these STATE run programs. With the exception of the Interstate system, these programs are better run and managed at the State level and the Feds need to back out of it.

Washington state has the highest gas per gallon tax in the country, and the reason so one in Washington state revolts against is because the money is actually used not only on road repair but all so road capacity expansion. Washington state has been constantly upgrading its roads for the last 20 years I've lived here with no stimulus funds from the federal government. So it can be done just fine without federal involvement. and per the 10th amendment, the Feds really have no business getting involved.

I would change one thing about education, and its funding disparity. instead of counties taking federal money, the money should instead be collected at the state level and distributed evenly across all school districts in the state, instead of each school district being responsible for its down property tax funding.

Taurus

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Education and infrastructure are primarily state and country projects, not Federal programs. The Feds have gotten their hands into local issues by giving federal funds to supplement these STATE run programs. With the exception of the Interstate system, these programs are better run and managed at the State level and the Feds need to back out of it.

Washington state has the highest gas per gallon tax in the country, and the reason so one in Washington state revolts against is because the money is actually used not only on road repair but all so road capacity expansion. Washington state has been constantly upgrading its roads for the last 20 years I've lived here with no stimulus funds from the federal government. So it can be done just fine without federal involvement. and per the 10th amendment, the Feds really have no business getting involved.

I would change one thing about education, and its funding disparity. instead of counties taking federal money, the money should instead be collected at the state level and distributed evenly across all school districts in the state, instead of each school district being responsible for its down property tax funding.
As long as those kids continue to grow up and vote in national elections, education will continue to be a Federal concern.

Ken-Bob

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
As long as those kids continue to grow up and vote in national elections, education will continue to be a Federal concern.
Exactly. Education is on the mind of many (most) legislators today and has been for a long time. It's very important to them. After all, it's really quite difficult to get an educated person to vote for a candidate based on 30 second sound bytes and good looks.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Washington state has been constantly upgrading its roads for the last 20 years I've lived here with no stimulus funds from the federal government. So it can be done just fine without federal involvement. and per the 10th amendment, the Feds really have no business getting involved.
According to the official data, Washington state received $1.5 billion for transportation improvements under the stimulus (ARRA).

Recipient Projects

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dan in Lafayette Final Saints vs. Panthers injury report: Michael Thomas ruled out SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Report: Bucs reach deal with Antonio Brown, to debut Week 9 vs. Saints SR News Page Articles 0
Week 7 NFL injury report roundup Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints vs Panthers final injury report: Emmanuel Sanders, Ken Crawley placed on Covid-19 reserved list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
bladerunner Final injury report Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Emmanuel Sanders placed on reserve-COVID list, will not play Sunday: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints vs Panthers Thursday Injury Report, Michael Thomas Did Not Practice SR News Page Articles 0
Saints vs Panthers Thursday injury report: Thomas, Fowler and Easton miss practice Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Saints WR Michael Thomas headlines the Thursday Injury Report Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Fleur-de-Links, October 22: Recent injury report has star wide receiver limited Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints vs. Panthers injury report: Michael Thomas limited with new injury SR News Page Articles 0
Saints-Panthers Injury Report: Michael Thomas now dealing with hamstring issue Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints vs Panthers Wednesday injury report: Michael Thomas dealing with a hamstring Saints RSS News Feeds 0
bladerunner Wednesday‘s Injury report Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 22
Report: Panthers shut down facility ahead of Saints game after unconfirmed positive test Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints to play Panthers in Superdome this Sunday: report Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints 1st Quarter + 1 Game Report Card (Offense, Special Teams, Coaches) SR News Page Articles 0
Report: Michael Thomas held out of Chargers game and fined, not suspended by Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: NFL owners to vote on moving next New Orleans Super Bowl back one year to 2025 Saints RSS News Feeds 0