US Power Will Decline Under Trump, Says Futurist Who Predicted Soviet Collapse | Motherboard
It was good while it lasted and they say it's best to live at the end of a civilization. That may only be for the ones with all the power and money tho...All of which, Galtung said, surfaced during the Bush era, and which now appear to have come to fruition through Trump. Such fascism, he told Motherboard, is a symptom of the decline—lashing out in disbelief at the loss of power.
Among the 15 structural contradictions his model identifies as driving the decline, are:
- economic contradictions such as ‘overproduction relative to demand’, unemployment and the increasing costs of climate change;
- military contradictions including rising tensions between the US, NATO, and its military allies, along with the increasing economic unsustainability of war;
- political contradictions including the conflicting roles of the US, UN and EU;
- cultural contradictions including tensions between US Judeo-Christianity, Islam, and other minorities;
- and social contradictions encompassing the increasing gulf between the so-called ‘American Dream’, the belief that everyone can prosper in America through hard work, and the reality of American life (the fact that more and more people can’t).