US seeks death penalty for six Gitmo detainees (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
I predict we'll see a large-scale international kidnapping or hostage-taking and a demand for the release of the "Gitmo 6" in the coming year.

CBS NEWS
U.S. To Seek Death For Six 9/11 Suspects
Terror Suspects Held At Guantanamo Bay To Be Charged With Atttacks On WTC, Pentagon
February 11, 2008

EXERPTS:
Hartmann, the legal adviser to the U.S. military tribunal system, said the six include Khalid Sheik Mohammed, the suspected mastermind of the attacks, in which hijacked planes were flown into buildings in New York and Washington. Another hijacked plane crashed in the fields of western Pennsylvania...

...The other five men being charged are: Mohammed al-Qahtani, the man officials have labeled the 20th hijacker; Ramzi Binalshibh, said to have been the main intermediary between the hijackers and leaders of Al Qaeda; Ali Abd al-Aziz Ali, known as Ammar al-Baluchi, a nephew of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who has been identified as Mohammed's lieutenant for the 2001 operation; al-Baluchi's assistant, Mustafa Ahmad al-Hawsawi; and Waleed bin Attash, a detainee known as Khallad, who investigators say selected and trained some of the hijackers.

READ MORE
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/11/national/main3815952.shtml

If they're looking for a bullet donation, show me where to sign up.

If this is going to be done (no, I am not an advocate for the death penalty - I think life without parole is a much harsher sentence), it should done swiftly so to narrow the window on any possible terrorist attempts to prevent it.

If this is going to be done (no, I am not an advocate for the death penalty - I think life without parole is a much harsher sentence), it should done swiftly so to narrow the window on any possible terrorist attempts to prevent it.

I'm sure the ACLU will file multiple petitions and appeals to stall any death sentence as long as possible.

Shot while escaping. The guy who left the gate open should get a one week suspension with pay.

Put them at the water's edge, point them in the right direction and let 'em swim to Venezuela. Have a boat next to them to monitor their progress, make certain they're staying on the path to Venezuela. Call up old Hugo Chavez and tell 'em he's got some commited voters on the way to his country. Give them a sporting chance. God willing, they'll make it. Of course, if God's not willing... In fact, I say give them a little help, give them a 100 mile head start, drop 'em off 100 miles off-shore just to let them know we care.

Well, this Dem. is all for it. Think they'll get the firing squad, being a military tribunal and all? What are the chances they'll televise the execution ?
Just asking.

I'm sure the ACLU will file multiple petitions and appeals to stall any death sentence as long as possible.

Another reason I think the death penalty should be abandoned for the real life sentence. The useless waste of public funds in petitions and re-hearings of cases that drag on for years on end.

Put them at the water's edge, point them in the right direction and let 'em swim to Venezuela. Have a boat next to them to monitor their progress, make certain they're staying on the path to Venezuela. Call up old Hugo Chavez and tell 'em he's got some commited voters on the way to his country. Give them a sporting chance. God willing, they'll make it. Of course, if God's not willing... In fact, I say give them a little help, give them a 100 mile head start, drop 'em off 100 miles off-shore just to let them know we care.
That's funny right there, I don't care who ya are. I like that option. I'm sure Chavez would just love it as well...not.

Last edited:
I understand OBL's driver has already asked a judge to throw out his case based on this:

"The Supreme Court ruled Thursday that foreign terrorism suspects held at Guantanamo Bay have rights under the Constitution to challenge their detention in U.S. civilian courts."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080612/ap_on_go_su_co/scotus_guantanamo_14

Prisoners of (terror) war have US constitutional rights. Doesn't make sense to me, but I am not one of the 9 in black robes. I hope they can figure out ways to protect methods and sources of intelligence in the scores of hearings that will now be held as a result of this decision.

...Am I crazy for thinking American troops in particular, and combatants in general, are now far less likely to be treated per the Geneva conventions as a result of the inevitable conclusions being drawn? ...
When was the last time any country that held American POWs treated them in accordance with the Geneva conventions?
Maybe the Chinese in Korea?
Most likely Germany in WWII.

This will go on for a few months until Obama becomes President and he will pardon them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom