Us vs. Them (1 Viewer)

Steamed crab? Sacrilege! Some started doing that a few years ago, in LA. NOT EVEN CLOSE to a boil. Instead of the flavor being in the shrimp from boiling/steeping in the highly flavored liquid, yours are steamed in relatively FLAVORLESS steam & then covered in spices. The stuff is on your hands, clothes & lips NOT in the shrimp! NOTHING beats Zatarain's liquid crab boil w/the addition of LOTS of salt, bay leaf, lemon, garlic Tabasco & pepper.

Hey Winter! I was taken to a few "famous original" places by 1 of the top chefs in Phili. Jamie Shannon(former chef@ Commander's)was from Jersey across the river from Phili. He was thrilled to make us cheesesteaks & used excellent quality ingredients. NO CONTEST!For poboys I prefer a seasoned buttermilk dip then into a mix of cornmeal/masa flour & more seasoning. For other types of dinner I do like batter-dipped, panko crusted & tempura.

For those enamored of the "French" bread of the NO poboys places, it's not French @ all. The original loaves in NO were made by German bakers @ on old bakery(can't remember the name, but they were the biggest producer for over 100 years).

For those enamored of the "French" bread of the NO poboys places, it's not French @ all. The original loaves in NO were made by German bakers @ on old bakery(can't remember the name, but they were the biggest producer for over 100 years).

I did not know that about the original breads for po' boys. Fascinating. I did a little searching and I think you are referring to Leidenheimer Baking Co.? Since 1896! They are german, but it does say on their site that the loafs are French style.

http://www.leidenheimer.com/

That will be on my list of places to visit next time I'm down there.

Yep Leiderheimer's! Definitely not French style baguette. Just look @ baked goods from a French bakery. Nothing like a PoBoy loaf. That airy texture w/just the right crunch of the crust, isn't made the same anywhere I've been(I am ALWAYS looking).
I took a seminar w/1 of the old Germans from the Bakery, when & I was @ Delgado. Damn that guy was good & FAST! He turned out perfect loaf in each hand non-stop! He couldn't make just 1, he had to use both hands.

A fried Oyster Po Boy is the ONLY thing that compares to a fried shrimp Po Boy. --Muffalatta distant 3rd. Crawfish Tails Po Boy distant 4th.
Roast Beef Po Boy distant 5th. Philly Cheesesteak tied with Cheeseburger Po Boy for 6th.. IMHO

Debris @ Mother's!
They still open?

I'll take the "Doc Brinker Special" @ the Camillia Grill(not the redo uptown, the 1 in the Quarter) before a cheesesteak, hell before a Muffaletta!
WAY BACK in the day, the burger @ Cafe Banquet was the BOMB!
Nothing beats Hatch Green Chile on a cheeseburger!

It is awesome how, at any moment, almost any thread can be hijacked with discussions of food/cuisine/restaurants and not only will people be okay with it, we all really appreciate it! Nothing shows the difference between Us and Them (whoever Them is) more than that phenomenon.

As for my preferences, I love the Leidenheimer bread. Domilise's has superb po-boys at good prices.

I also love the half and half (oyster/shrimp) loaf at Casamento's (crab fingers are delicious there also).

For me, the burgers at Port of Call are hard to beat. Get one and a Monsoon and you can't have a bad day.

BTW, if you're in the Bucktown/Metarie area, R & O's has great roast beef po-boys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom