USA "Magic is over" says this french guy. (1 Viewer)

The Orlando Magic are done ...stick a fork in em....Hornets Rule!!!!!

Stupid french guy.

In a wide-ranging conversation with Roger Cohen of the International Herald Tribune at the launch of a Forum for New Diplomacy in Paris, Kouchner on Tuesday also held out the hope of talking with Hamas, the Palestinian faction that rules the Gaza Strip but has been ostracized by the West and by its Palestinian rival, Fatah, because it opposes peace talks with Israel and denies that Israel has a right to exist.

This guy is a real winner.

As for the original point, yeh, i'm all for moving us away from the global stage, I wouldn't go as far as complete isolationism but i think Europe should have a chance to screw everthing up again. I would end immigration from Islamic nations for a decade or so (yes, there are several presidences in US history for restricted immigration)

This guy is a real winner.

As for the original point, yeh, i'm all for moving us away from the global stage, I wouldn't go as far as complete isolationism but i think Europe should have a chance to screw everthing up again. I would end immigration from Islamic nations for a decade or so (yes, there are several presidences in US history for restricted immigration)

Kouchner is actually quite pro-American along with Sarkozy. They WANT to get France more involved in taking up some of the effort at global intevention.

He's exactly what the U.S. says they always wanted in France. Can never please some I guess.

Israel's existence is a fact of life, a fait accompli. The actual morality or legitimacy of the idea of forcing it on the Arabs in 1948 is debateable. It's not shocking that they remain bitter.

If he wants to talk to Hamas, let him talk.

I'm not sure exactly when or how this started, but it is exactly the same thing from our own politicians.

Both sides jab each other constantly.

I think it stems from the fact that the we and French are almost exactly alike tempermentally: we both think we know best and that the other is incompetent.

The result is constant friction.

The difference between the U.S. and the French is all the French do is wine

While the U.S. will invade and take over your country so, we can have military bases all over the world

Last edited:
The difference between the U.S. and the French is all the French do is wine

While the U.S. will invade and take over your country so, we can have military bases all over the world

The French used to be in that game too.

They learned their lessons and we will too eventually.

The "magic" was over in the 70's and the 30's as well. Wow, actually that's just about a 40 year cycle isn't it? Coincidental though.

I do not agree necessarily with you Black on this country minding our own business. We were heavily involved in the slave trade illegally sometimes for almost 50 years even after Jefferson abolished it. The Amistad issue was a good example of that. Then their is the Native American resettlement issue that a blight on our history books and a heavy story to tell. We never were isolationist or non-interventionist either. Some how some way we wanted to protect our interests whether it was intervening in Latin America with the Monroe Doctrine to the aforementioned slave trade.
So its nice to use selective facts to support a view of history which may be half way right but not totally the truth. If you look at the contexts of the 19th century, with the Manifest Destiny and Mexico inviting the French in the 1860's to help them fight us off, you get a perspective that is way different then the one peddled out in the history books

I do not agree necessarily with you Black on this country minding our own business. We were heavily involved in the slave trade illegally sometimes for almost 50 years even after Jefferson abolished it. The Amistad issue was a good example of that. Then their is the Native American resettlement issue that a blight on our history books and a heavy story to tell. We never were isolationist or non-interventionist either. Some how some way we wanted to protect our interests whether it was intervening in Latin America with the Monroe Doctrine to the aforementioned slave trade.
So its nice to use selective facts to support a view of history which may be half way right but not totally the truth. If you look at the contexts of the 19th century, with the Manifest Destiny and Mexico inviting the French in the 1860's to help them fight us off, you get a perspective that is way different then the one peddled out in the history books

It could be argued that hemispheric affairs and border issues, war with Mexico, Indian wars were our business.

I'm refering to the phase we've entered where we are occupying countries on the other side of the globe and maintaining over 700 military installations across the globe.

That is something different.

Whoops! France has updated their numbers.

California GDP 2006, about $1.7 trillion
France GDP 2008, approximately $2 trillion

Still...2008 GDP comparison map says...

http://matthewyglesias.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/01/gdp_map.php

gdpmap.jpg

I love the countries they chose for Alabama and Wyoming. Comparisons in more then just the economic sense can be made in both cases...:hihi:

I love the countries they chose for Alabama and Wyoming. Comparisons in more then just the economic sense can be made in both cases...:hihi:

So could Indonesia and Louisiana :covri:

Meanwhile Mississippi is merely known for it's mediocre wine and military dictatorships!

As long as the world's business is conducted in English and the US leaders remain the power players in the world's global economy, his sentiments are little more than a pipe dream...

"World peace" is a mirage.

Truer words were never spoken. So the $64 question is, in a world that is and likely forever will be in constant turmoil, what do you do to protect yourself?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom