USA Today article of analysis of Saints penalty disparity (1 Viewer)

I appreciate the responses guys... for those that answer #2.... do me a favor and let's get that hat size and quantity put in here so we can just make one big order before Christmas.

Thanks,

The way to address your argument is to find out what the opponents of the Whiners, Seahawks, Patriots and Ravens penalty situation looks like.

If it's about discipline and knowing you have to play mistake-free, you'd expect their opponent du jour to have fewer penalties just like ours.

I see a lot of people say while they admit that officiating is awful league wide and that missed calls and bad calls are rampant, it is not likely that there is bias against the Saints in particular.

Is it not possible that the state of officiating is awful league wide AND there is bias against the Saints? That the refs are awful and that there is some bias aren’t mutually exclusive.

I think at this point, Saints fans wouldn't believe Goodell if he said water was wet...

I don't think this is true, because we know it's true. We don't distrust Goodell because of anything he says necessarily. We distrust him because of the sham bountygate and ridiculously harsh one year ban of Payton from the team for something nearly every team was doing then. Goodell has been a terrible commissioner by many accounts, but the league doesn't care.

If he says something accurate, then fine. But when it comes to the Saints and Payton, he's never been partial. I'm sick of him treating us like crap. I don't think that will ever change until he's no longer commissioner.

I see a lot of people say while they admit that officiating is awful league wide and that missed calls and bad calls are rampant, it is not likely that there is bias against the Saints in particular.

Is it not possible that the state of officiating is awful league wide AND there is bias against the Saints? That the refs are awful and that there is some bias aren’t mutually exclusive.

Indeed. It's obvious to anyone paying attention around the league that the officials have been ridiculously bad this season. But it's also quite clear that when it comes to the Saints and their opponents, the statistics are eye opening to say the very least.

I don't think this is true, because we know it's true. We don't distrust Goodell because of anything he says necessarily. We distrust him because of the sham bountygate and ridiculously harsh one year ban of Payton from the team for something nearly every team was doing then. Goodell has been a terrible commissioner by many accounts, but the league doesn't care.

If he says something accurate, then fine. But when it comes to the Saints and Payton, he's never been partial. I'm sick of him treating us like crap. I don't think that will ever change until he's no longer commissioner.
The public outcry this year against the officiating has been loud and getting more vocal all across the country. Sadly, I do not see officiating improving until there is a new commissioner. The status quo is perfectly fine with Goodell and this regime.

You are wasting your breath, with an individual, that does not see the point of the article to begin with.

Where is there a conspiracy being said? The article and the stats provided are FACTS, not a proven CONSPIRACY! Why are YOU bringing up the conspiracy angle? Who the heck knows, why there is so much of a variance? But it is what it is and it needs to be addressed and fixed.
The OP is obviously trying to suggest some conspiracy. As are you. What exactly needs to be fixed? There is no rule saying all teams need to have equal numbers of penalties called on them. Some teams will have more penalties than others.

If you believe after reading that article and stats that every Saints opponent just magically turns into the least penalized team in the league for that particular week and we are the sloppiest regardless of opponent well there are Klingons, Rudolph, the Tooth Fairy, Santa

The OP is obviously trying to suggest some conspiracy. As are you. What exactly needs to be fixed? There is no rule saying all teams need to have equal numbers of penalties called on them. Some teams will have more penalties than others.

But that's not what's happening here. Of course some teams will have more than others. But when the teams are consistently having their least penalized games against the Saints, which is easily proven statistically, there's a problem here. And when the automatic first down penalties are as lopsided are they have been recently, you can't just chalk that up to bad officiating or one team magically not committing penalties when they have been all season. I don't know that there is a conspiracy, but I am convinced that the stats show that the games are not being called reasonably evenly.

But that's not what's happening here. Of course some teams will have more than others. But when the teams are consistently having their least penalized games against the Saints, which is easily proven statistically, there's a problem here. And when the automatic first down penalties are as lopsided are they have been recently, you can't just chalk that up to bad officiating or one team magically not committing penalties when they have been all season. I don't know that there is a conspiracy, but I am convinced that the stats show that the games are not being called reasonably evenly.

It just isn't though, which is my whole point. Looking at the graph posted ere leaves us with several options when considering the data as is:

1) The officiating is biased against the saints
2) The saints make it easier for opponents to play mistake free football
3) Opponents are more disciplined in preparing for the saints
4) Is down to chance and our sample size is way too small to accurately reflect it

Statistics don't work the way most of you expect they do. They almost never prove anything. They simply suggest that events are more or less likely to occur. And with the given sample sizes they show nothing at all (at least the way it's been presented in this thread).

Also, every single teams forums has threads where people are convinced the refs are out to get them:

It just isn't though, which is my whole point. Looking at the graph posted ere leaves us with several options when considering the data as is:

1) The officiating is biased against the saints
2) The saints make it easier for opponents to play mistake free football
3) Opponents are more disciplined in preparing for the saints
4) Is down to chance and our sample size is way too small to accurately reflect it

Statistics don't work the way most of you expect they do. They almost never prove anything. They simply suggest that events are more or less likely to occur. And with the given sample sizes they show nothing at all (at least the way it's been presented in this thread).

Also, every single teams forums has threads where people are convinced the refs are out to get them:

There are more options that the 4 you listed. But, if anyone believes 2 or 3, I got some beachfront property on the bayou to sell ya. 4 is a cop out. 1 is plauaible, and I'll explain why. The officials consciously or subconsciously call things tighter in Saints games because they resent being put on the spot because of the no call in the NFCCG. It's not just the Saints though. They are clearly making arbitrary decisions on pi replays. We see it every weekend. You can stick your head in the sand, or acknowledge that maybe there's something to the numbers.

The complete dismissal of what most fans draw as a reasonable conclusion that there's something wrong with the officiating is short sighted and frankly condescending imo.

I think at this point, Saints fans wouldn't believe Goodell if he said water was wet...

Nor would our players. Nor do the players of any other team. Dude has poisoned the well from top to bottom. The next contract negotiation will be brutal.

There are more options that the 4 you listed. But, if anyone believes 2 or 3, I got some beachfront property on the bayou to sell ya. 4 is a cop out. 1 is plauaible, and I'll explain why. The officials consciously or subconsciously call things tighter in Saints games because they resent being put on the spot because of the no call in the NFCCG. It's not just the Saints though. They are clearly making arbitrary decisions on pi replays. We see it every weekend. You can stick your head in the sand, or acknowledge that maybe there's something to the numbers.

The complete dismissal of what most fans draw as a reasonable conclusion that there's something wrong with the officiating is short sighted and frankly condescending imo.

Short sighted, condescending and mathematically correct.

It's rigged. There are more Tim Donaghy's in the NFL than the NBA. There should have be an FBI investigation after last years NFCCG. Roger Godell is not a fan of the Saints and less a fan of Sean Payton. See the interview of Payton with Graham Bensinger. The league (Godell) wanted him out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom