USA Today Ranks Dennis Allen Worst Head Coach in the League (2 Viewers)

When Sean Payton left the Saints they were and still are, in cap hell. And 80% the reason of his success, Drew Brees, is gone as well. But the majority of Saints fans expect the next guy up to pick up where Sean left off, when he had Drew Brees. It didn’t matter what coach replaced Sean, without an elite QB he was going to fail. So it’s pointless to spew hate on your own team, because it only gives the National media an invitation to pile on. This is why DA is last in every list.
We didn't need an "elite QB," we needed better coaching...lol. The starter coming into 2022 was top 10 in nearly every QB stat/metric before getting hurt. We got better in the offseason and yet performed worse. That has nothing to do with QB and everything to do with who is calling plays.

This might be true, but doubtful. SP ran Denver’s offense last season, with R.Wilson at the helm. How was there offense?
Improved in every area from the season before with a QB that was never a good fit for an offense that requires those types of reads and timing. The Broncos were literally last in the league in scoring in 2022.

I remember when everybody wanted Russ here and I was telling people that there is absolutely nothing on film that shows him succeeding here and folks thought I was talking crazy..lol.

We didn't need an "elite QB," we needed better coaching...lol. The starter coming into 2022 was top 10 in nearly every QB stat/metric before getting hurt. We got better in the offseason and yet performed worse. That has nothing to do with QB and everything to do with who is calling plays.

Improved in every area from the season before with a QB that was never a good fit for an offense that requires those types of reads and timing. The Broncos were literally last in the league in scoring in 2022.

I remember when everybody wanted Russ here and I was telling people that there is absolutely nothing on film that shows him succeeding here and folks thought I was talking crazy..lol.
Don’t miss the point, that when DA took over, the expectations did not reset. They stayed at SP’s level. We were thinking, we have a great D, all we need is a decent offense.
But I do agree, but at the time, we didn’t know, that we did need better coaching (scheme). Now we know that we needed an entire new offense. They are making these changes while not tearing it all down which is good and bad. It’s good that we’re not forced to watch a 3 win team. But the bad of it, is that we’re still expecting great things from an average cast. The Saints FO knows what they are doing, they are flipping the roster and coaching staff and are still maintaining the majority of fans. Three straight years of 3-14 would irreparably devastate this fan base.

Lookit, DA is the coach for at least the next 2 years. Mickey wants him to succeed and it's probably made Mickey finally assess that the roster he currently has is not near as good as it needs to be - which Mickey I think now owns.

So off their brand, I think they're now doing some common sense things. In large part, it is to take pressure off DA, who has not really shown he has the persona of a head coach.

Other GM's would likely not attach themselves to a coach who on other teams would be in a Year 3 show me year. But with the lifetime-contract Saints, Loomis wants Allen to grow into the role, and shed the things that make us go

giphy.webp
You’re pretty much spot on. They want DA to succeed. But not for any other reason except to become great again. The guy is a DC. He knows nothing of offense. We addressed this problem. However, it may take longer than one offseason to be at the speed San Fran is running. So, this year would have to be a disaster for DA to get fired. If they lose early, like we expect, but come on strong at the end, winning 5 of 6 or something like that, but yet finishing 9-8. He continues on. Because the excuse will be and rightfully so, that this offensive scheme requires a few years before it can put fear in the hearts of the defense.

It’s not about whether DA is the worst coach in the league, because he’s not.
The key issue is that he’s a proven bad coach. Who cares where his ranking is?
Regardless of the OC change, the team will ultimately underperform. Tinkering with the coaching staff won’t make up for DA’s tendencies. His problems as a head coach are always the same:
He has no vision or identity for this team.
He’s not a leader. He doesn’t hold players accountable. He has no attention to detail. He doesn’t have his teams fully prepared for game day.
He always seems like he’s in over his head. And lastly, he’s a position coach pretending to be a head coach. He’s unqualified and it shows.

My point is that based on an objective analysis of SP coaching post Brees he is much closer to the bottom tier coaches than mid or top tier. We can come up with excuses for each coach why they haven’t succeeded but look at playoff appearances, playoff wins, and Super Bowl appearances and wins. Next look at win totals. San Fran could’ve packed it in when they lost their starting qb, then their backup, but they didn’t because they had a coach with a plan. SP without Brees hasn’t shown much. Regardless, he’s not our coach any longer. I do not disagree with DA’s ranking. He has to win some games and get in the playoffs before he crawls out of the coaching cellar.

My point is that based on an objective analysis of SP coaching post Brees he is much closer to the bottom tier coaches than mid or top tier. We can come up with excuses for each coach why they haven’t succeeded but look at playoff appearances, playoff wins, and Super Bowl appearances and wins. Next look at win totals. San Fran could’ve packed it in when they lost their starting qb, then their backup, but they didn’t because they had a coach with a plan. SP without Brees hasn’t shown much. Regardless, he’s not our coach any longer. I do not disagree with DA’s ranking. He has to win some games and get in the playoffs before he crawls out of the coaching cellar.
Payton's best coaching year was the Covid year where he had to start four different QBs and still got the team over .500. It wasn't his most successful year, but it was by far his best coaching performance. The team overachieved under those circumstances. Tell me one time that DA had the team overachieving under bad circumstances as opposed to to underachieving under ideal circumstances, like having the easiest strength of schedule in the league.

Don’t miss the point, that when DA took over, the expectations did not reset. They stayed at SP’s level. We were thinking, we have a great D, all we need is a decent offense.
But I do agree, but at the time, we didn’t know, that we did need better coaching (scheme).
73217-99e649ea19672361ebd25c544da9a37e.jpg

All jokes aside, it was evident Week 1 2022 that offensive playcalling was an issue. We had a QB that threw 5 TDs in his first start as a Saint be held to less than 60 yards going into the 4th the first game the next season, with a better team in place. Yeah.....coaching and coaching alone.

Now we know that we needed an entire new offense. They are making these changes while not tearing it all down which is good and bad. It’s good that we’re not forced to watch a 3 win team. But the bad of it, is that we’re still expecting great things from an average cast. The Saints FO knows what they are doing, they are flipping the roster and coaching staff and are still maintaining the majority of fans. Three straight years of 3-14 would irreparably devastate this fan base.
I agree that Pete had to go because what separates them is Payton knowing how to build his offense for and around a player. Pete just seemingly called plays and that wasn't going to work. It was exacerbated by spending $100 million on a QB that wasn't a good fit from the jump..lol. I can't want to see what this Kubiak move produces.

Going back to 2018, CSP is 17-4 between Teddy B, Taysom, and Jameis. In 2021, Jameis was top 10 across most stats/metrics with one of the worse offensive squads we've seen in a bit, and after he was hurt, went through 3 different QB and we were a tie breaker away from the playoffs. Coach Sean Payton was a top 5 coach that season and should have been a candidate for coach of the year. If you don't recognize what was done his last year here, we gotta have a serious football discussion..lol.

Payton's best coaching year was the Covid year where he had to start four different QBs and still got the team over .500. It wasn't his most successful year, but it was by far his best coaching performance. The team overachieved under those circumstances. Tell me one time that DA had the team overachieving under bad circumstances as opposed to to underachieving under ideal circumstances, like having the easiest strength of schedule in the league.
I don’t think DA is a better coach than SP, I just disagree with SP at 16, I think based on his record post Brees, he should be in the 22-27 range. But I don’t know why I even care where a pundit ranks SP, he could be number one in their eyes and it makes zero difference.

It's June 9. We've made it through the winter and spring of the offseason. Time to look forward again. Camp starts in the following month.

Heres
I don’t think DA is a better coach than SP, I just disagree with SP at 16, I think based on his record post Brees, he should be in the 22-27 range. But I don’t know why I even care where a pundit ranks SP, he could be number one in their eyes and it makes zero difference.
I think there’s no question that Payton is a great coach. A HOF coach.
But Payton is falling into the same category as other great coaches. A not so successful second run.
You can go through history and find other HOFers fail when they try for a second act.

That doesn't make him the worst

It's not fandom. That just doesn't make any sense. If the offense improves, the team scores more points. If the teams scores more points, then they are more likely to win. If they win, they improve.

So, exactly how does the offense improving not improve the team and with W/L record?

It's gotten to the point that in the minds of many fans that the Saints are bad just because Allen exists. But is has no factual basis that I can see. If the offense gets better and more consistent, then something else has to happen that causes the team not to do better. What is that? Just the fact that Allen is on the sideline? How exactly does that make the team worse?

And I know that it sounds like I'm pulling for Allen. That's not exactly it. I'm just trying to understand why people think that just because the guy exist and he's the Saints coach makes the team "bad". There's all of this talk about a "bad" team with a winning record last year. I think I see that many fans now think that any team that isn't dominant or overpowering in the NFL is by definition a "bad" team. Where did this stance come from?

SFIAH
I think it does. Against past years cupcake schedule 9 wins was the expected floor. We achieved just that.

Us winning 9 games wasn't due to his head coaching prowess...it was due to the talent on the roster.

Imo coaching is THE X factor across the NFL, these are all multi million dollar athletes at the top of their craft...how all of thar talent is put together and schemed is what puts one franchise over another.

We're handicapped until we jettison DA.

73217-99e649ea19672361ebd25c544da9a37e.jpg

All jokes aside, it was evident Week 1 2022 that offensive playcalling was an issue. We had a QB that threw 5 TDs in his first start as a Saint be held to less than 60 yards going into the 4th the first game the next season, with a better team in place. Yeah.....coaching and coaching alone.

I agree that Pete had to go because what separates them is Payton knowing how to build his offense for and around a player. Pete just seemingly called plays and that wasn't going to work. It was exacerbated by spending $100 million on a QB that wasn't a good fit from the jump..lol. I can't want to see what this Kubiak move produces.
Yea it certainly seemed like we should’ve changed the scheme immediately then add the QB, whoever that might be. Had they done it that way, we may be looking forward to seeing Jake Haener in his second and saved 150M.

I think it does. Against past years cupcake schedule 9 wins was the expected floor. We achieved just that.

Us winning 9 games wasn't due to his head coaching prowess...it was due to the talent on the roster.

Imo coaching is THE X factor across the NFL, these are all multi million dollar athletes at the top of their craft...how all of thar talent is put together and schemed is what puts one franchise over another.

We're handicapped until we jettison DA.
OK fine. But how is DA the worst coach in the NFL by that measure? Are you really saying that with the same talent, each of the 31 other coaches in the NFL would be the X factor for the Saints that they would do better than DA?

I mean folks here treat DA like he went your mother's house and punched her in the face. I just don't get what this guy did to garner such animosity.

I guess it's just that he's not Payton. Who in the NFL would you guys be satisfied with? And don't give me some up and coming coordinator that has never been a head coach before. That's just like rolling dice. Who should have Loomis have picked 2 years ago? Or last year? What evidence that pick would have done better than DA given our situation?

10 were hired in 2022:

Tampa Bay Bucs, Todd Bowles​

Jacksonville Jaguars, Doug Pederson​

Chicago Bears, Matt Eberflus​

New Orleans Saints, Dennis Allen​

Las Vegas Raiders, Josh McDaniels​

Houston Texans, Lovie Smith​

Minnesota Vikings, Kevin O’Connell​

Denver Broncos, Nathaniel Hackett​

New York Giants, Brian Daboll​

Miami Dolphins, Mike McDaniel​

So, just to be clear, you would have hired any of the other 9 guys over Allen at the time? Now clearly some of these guys are better (O'Connell, McDaniel, Pederson, Bowles is iffy, Daboll maybe but he has a train wreck) But all 9? Even the ones that were fired after 1 year and Hackett being completely incompetent?

BTW the only name that pops in my head over the last 2 years that's clearly better than the rest is Demeco Ryans. But who in the NFL is a sure fire head coach of that caliber that's going to be available soon?

SFIAH

Last edited:
OK fine. But how is DA the worst coach in the NFL by that measure? Are you really saying that with the same talent, each of the 31 other coaches in the NFL would be the X factor for the Saints that they would do better than DA?

I mean folks here treat DA like he went your mother's house and punched her in the face. I just don't get what this guy did to garner such animosity.

I guess it's just that he's not Payton. Who in the NFL would you guys be satisfied with? And don't give me some up and coming coordinator that has never been a head coach before. That's just like rolling dice. Who should have Loomis have picked 2 years ago? Or last year? What evidence that pick would have done better than DA given our situation?

10 were hired in 2022:

Tampa Bay Bucs, Todd Bowles​

Jacksonville Jaguars, Doug Pederson​

Chicago Bears, Matt Eberflus​

New Orleans Saints, Dennis Allen​

Las Vegas Raiders, Josh McDaniels​

Houston Texans, Lovie Smith​

Minnesota Vikings, Kevin O’Connell​

Denver Broncos, Nathaniel Hackett​

New York Giants, Brian Daboll​

Miami Dolphins, Mike McDaniel​

So, just to be clear, you would have hired any of the other 9 guys over Allen at the time? Now clearly some of these guys are better (O'Connell, McDaniel, Pederson, Bowles is iffy, Daboll maybe but he has a train wreck) But all 9? Even the ones that were fired after 1 year and Hackett being completely incompetent?

BTW the only name that pops in my head over the last 2 years that's clearly better than the rest is Demeco Ryans. But who in the NFL is a sure fire head coach of that caliber that's going to be available soon?

SFIAH
Sad part is I supported the DA hire back when xCSP quit...but now I understand that we were wrong about DA & part of moving forward is identifying the fault and moving on...not lying to yourself about the current situation and prolonging the inevitable.

Loomis could've saved 7M a year and hired me and I would've gotten us to 7-10 and 9-8.

The sell on DA was maintaining culture: just "putting the seasoned turkey in the oven"...continuity is blown, 2 years have been wasted, we lost the NFCS to Bowles and Baker freaking Mayfield...TB wasn't even trying for real and they ran a back to back on us.

Like I said, he's coaching this roster to its floor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom