USA Today: Two other Trump advisers also spoke with Russian envoy during GOP convention (1 Viewer)

Saintaholic

<><><><><><><><><><><>
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Exclusive: Two other Trump advisers also spoke with Russian envoy during GOP convention

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is not the only member of President Trump’s campaign who spoke to Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak at a diplomacy conference connected to the Republican National Convention in July. At least two more members of the Trump campaign’s national security officials also spoke with Kislyak at the event, and several more Trump national security advisers were in attendance.

It's unknown what the Trump campaign officials who spoke with the ambassador – J.D. Gordon and Carter Page – discussed with him. Those who took part in the events in Cleveland said it is not unusual for presidential campaign teams to interact with diplomats.

However, the newly-revealed communications further contradict months of repeated denials by Trump officials that his campaign had contact with officials representing the Russian government.

The Justice Department’s acknowledgement Wednesday that Sessions spoke with Kislyak twice in 2016 has led to calls for him to recuse himself from investigations into the Trump team’s contact with Russia. By Thursday afternoon, Sessions said he would recuse himself.
Exclusive: Two other Trump advisers also spoke with Russian envoy during GOP convention

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
I don't think it's surprising that if the Russian Ambassador was at the GOP convention (or at a connected event at any rate) that EVERYONE probably talked to him.

The problem is the denials.

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think it's surprising that if the Russian Ambassador was at the GOP convention (or at a connected event at any rate) that EVERYONE probably talked to him.

The problem is the denials.
Honestly, it strikes me as kind of odd. I say that with the caveat that I've never been involved with politics at that level, so perhaps it's not. But what reason would so many campaign advisers/surrogates have for talking with the Russian diplomats and agents? At that point, he was just beginning his campaign against Hillary. What would be the purpose and whats to be gained? Did democrats have similar conversations with Russian diplomats and agents during their convention? I doubt it.

I understand about contacts after he was elected. That kind of makes more since, since at that point, they're preparing to govern. But even there, the whole deal with Flynn was totally an attempt to undermine the Obama administrations response to the hacking and interference and that's not kosher.

All of this just stinks and the denials don't make it any better.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Honestly, it strikes me as kind of odd. I say that with the caveat that I've never been involved with politics at that level, so perhaps it's not. But what reason would so many campaign advisers/surrogates have for talking with the Russian diplomats and agents? At that point, he was just beginning his campaign against Hillary. What would be the purpose and whats to be gained? Did democrats have similar conversations with Russian diplomats and agents during their convention? I doubt it.

I understand about contacts after he was elected. That kind of makes more since, since at that point, they're preparing to govern. But even there, the whole deal with Flynn was totally an attempt to undermine the Obama administrations response to the hacking and interference and that's not kosher.

All of this just stinks and the denials don't make it any better.
My point (which I didn't state very well) is IF the Russian was at the GOP convention event, it's highly likely that most people had a word or two with him.

My two follow up points (which I also should have mentioned) is that I have no idea why the Russian ambassador would be at the GOP convention. He is already in the country, obviously, so I can think of legit reasons for him to be there, but it seems odd. I also have no idea if it's typical.

And like you point out, once you conflate that with all the other Trump team contact with Russia, it becomes MUCH more suspicious. And of course that they would deny it instead of just saying "oh yeah, the ambassador was at the convention event and a bunch of us said hello" makes it even more suspicious.

So I think we agree, I was just lazy and incomplete in my thought.

Reaction score
I think they are all starting to realize that their meetings and communications weren't as secret as they thought, so they are trying to do damage control by admitting "yeah we met with them but it was no big deal."

I think the next surprise for them will be the release of information revealing the topics of the meetings and the communications. It's a big mistake to underestimate US intelligence gathering capabilities.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom