USA vs Belgium..... (1 Viewer)

Look out. Here comes the inevitable "I told you so" post.

The US team just isn't worth their ranking. I saw part of the game and constantly said to myself that I could do better than that defense. Spectators at best.

To be honest, I really thought Klins would really change this team around. Physically. Mentally. Energetically. All I hear from players is that they don't care for his style. They don't play the physical intl style. They don't have the intl mentality. The energy level overall is far and few between. They play like a team that doesn't know who each other is.

I had always held the notion that it was because we had players that didnt play overseas enough. that they didnt get a "taste" of that physical, demanding, and mentally challenging higher level of pro soccer.

but that can no longer be said. So what breeds this lackadaisical play? Youth/college? style?

Ive ALWAYS said US "style" is unto itself. You could never really "pin it down"...one week this, next week that. We lacked "identity". ( well, unless u consider being perennial "underdog" an identity ) Still do. Midfiled general? dont have one. Attacking backs? Nope. True pure "striker/goal poacher"? HA.

Our players almost act as if the "style" is the problem. Like they dont even give it a chance. WE DONT HAVE STYLE. We have players that operate on their own. Or not at 100% . How many times have you seen a USMNT player give the ball away and then just WATCH the play unfold? Head down, shoulders down after a play. walking back half speed?

I really think that its no longer viewed as a "privilege" to play for the USMNT...almost a right. And if a player feels "slighted" by being left off, instead of proving his worth, he just says "to heck with it" and focuses on club play.

Take Donovan. All the questions are being shot at Klinsmann. But it was Donovan who said he was contemplating retirement. Now all of a sudden, he wants to play again, and it almost seems like the media wants to hand him his no 10 and start him. Is he fit? is his heart 100% into it? Will he play the style that Klinsmann wants?

Either ur in 100% or not. If not, sit out. You arent needed.

Our players almost act as if the "style" is the problem. Like they dont even give it a chance. WE DONT HAVE STYLE. We have players that operate on their own. Or not at 100% . How many times have you seen a USMNT player give the ball away and then just WATCH the play unfold? Head down, shoulders down after a play. walking back half speed?

I really think that its no longer viewed as a "privilege" to play for the USMNT...almost a right. And if a player feels "slighted" by being left off, instead of proving his worth, he just says "to heck with it" and focuses on club play. .

i'll go so far as to say that it might be a cultural re-shift that we're into
america has always had a tension between "rugged" individualism and group identity - but for the past 15 years or so we've been in an 'every man for himself' phase (we're due to come out of it soon, but...)

now with entrenched team sports it doesn't matter as much there are enough coaches/training philosophies to develop enough quality athletes to field fill out teams
here soccer is still way too scattered - kids on my high school's team are playing in up to 3 other teams/leagues (chicago fire team, playground team, etc), and it doesn't seem like they're assimilating what they're doing; there's certainly not any sort of over-riding "team" concept that they're getting
it's doubtful that usmnt has the resources to any sort of satellite academies, so we'll probably keep getting these MLS youth squads (which is probably good for MLS long term but doesn't fix the national team's problems)

oh well

i'll go so far as to say that it might be a cultural re-shift that we're into
america has always had a tension between "rugged" individualism and group identity - but for the past 15 years or so we've been in an 'every man for himself' phase (we're due to come out of it soon, but...)

now with entrenched team sports it doesn't matter as much there are enough coaches/training philosophies to develop enough quality athletes to field fill out teams
here soccer is still way too scattered - kids on my high school's team are playing in up to 3 other teams/leagues (chicago fire team, playground team, etc), and it doesn't seem like they're assimilating what they're doing; there's certainly not any sort of over-riding "team" concept that they're getting
it's doubtful that usmnt has the resources to any sort of satellite academies, so we'll probably keep getting these MLS youth squads (which is probably good for MLS long term but doesn't fix the national team's problems)

oh well

I can see the logistical argument behind not being able to have a "one concept" in youth squads. Someone will always buck the trend for sheer wins.
but at some point, if the US truly wishes to be a great soccer nation, its going to have to happen.

Start plucking these kids early on and develop them. Tennis does it. Other sports as well.

I do know this. We arent cohesive. We arent playing for a reason. I remember 1992. What a moment for US Soccer. But I also remember not 12 months after that, the waning momentum of the 1992 WC. In just 12 short months, back to status quo. There are players out there right now with the skill set to rival the Ronaldo/Messi/Ibrahimovic etc.. We just do a horrible job of spotting and developing that player.

So be it...or as you said "oh well".

I can see the logistical argument behind not being able to have a "one concept" in youth squads. Someone will always buck the trend for sheer wins.
but at some point, if the US truly wishes to be a great soccer nation, its going to have to happen.

and i guess what i'm saying is that it seems more likely we'll continue growing as a collection of soccer city/states (connected to the MLS teams) than as a soccer nation

The lack of energy on the field last night was very concerning. I can partially overlook the lack of communication between the players - after all, they probably don't know what position they are playing in til right before the game! - but it seemed that many players were strangely passive. I like Zusi, but he seemed nervous - observe that he mishandled several passes - and Brad Davis got few opportunities to do much crossing. Those times he did we looked somewhat dangerous, and Altidore looked predatory on those crosses. Those were the wide players, and they didn't seem to get the ball too much. Part of that may be because Jones and Kljestan simply didn't push forward enough to engage the Belgian defense and give the wide guys some space. It looked like there were precious few runs into the Belgians to make space. I saw Beasley do it a few times, and Cameron just a couple, but when we turned the ball over on those opportunities it simply put too much pressure on Gonzalez and Goodson, neither of whom are particularly fleet.

So, part of the issue seems to be misplaying players: Cameron as a RB just doesn't seem to work, for example, and Kljestan as a midfield general ain't it either (as good as he is for his club team he cannot translate that to US production, probably because Klinsi uses him out wide or as a holding midfielder). That is all on Klinsmann. He simply MUST do a better and more informed job of putting them in position to succeed. Sometimes I think he is nothing more than a tinkerer who wants to look like a genius and will keep trying combinations til it happens. And it ain't happened yet.

Don't forget that Belgium is a very good team.

no need for a new thread, yeah? (maybe rename USMNT Friendlies)

obvious expectations are for US to get rolled, but we're also due for one of those confounding wins (especially against Jurgen's old team)
for funsies i'll call it US 4-2

You know we can't win in this game. We win its because they are missing a bunch of key parts. We lose its just Germany. Although this squad did crush Ecuador

We are looking much better, but still incredibly fortunate for that gifted 2nd goal. It would be nice to see some incisive passing from the US ... that is still in short supply.

And as I type this, it becomes a one goal game. Now we look lethargic again.

Much better. Altidore showed strength, patience, and vision on that assist. He is a much better player from his time in the Eredivisie. We still need more secondary runs, too much knocking it up the pitch with no one in the hole behind the forwards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom