usama young vs. the draft (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
i'll add to the offseason/draft talk...i read and hear about how much potential everyone (coaches included) sees in usama young. he didn't play too much this season so he didn't get a lot of exposure or experience but apparently he has good speed and size. i'm not a big jason david fan...with that said, let's say we don't sign one of the big name corners that will be on the market this offseason. how would everyone feel if we started usama in place of david next year and focused on one of our other position needs (LB, DT, etc.)? i realize usama hasn't been tested and all that "potential" is just that thus far, but we didn't take him in the third round last year to not be a player, he's going to make some mistakes obviously but jason david isn't exactly the player everyone hoped he would be.

i definately would like for us to sign a trufant or samuel but assuming that doesn't work out...what y'all think?

good post I'm a big supporter of usama. But we do need another cb. Mckenzie is hurt and it would be beneficial to get another guy in here to push the young guys. Sorry if I don't make since, I'm at the Spanish moon drunk off my ads at the Spanish moon. How much of a dork am I. Watever, go saints!

The trouble is that none of us actually know how good he is, he simply didn't have enough playing time in real games for non-coaches lik us to make any informed opinion about his readiness to start.

He was considered pretty good at Kent State of course and I think he played all 12 games in his final year, but even in a small college he wasn't considered a shut-down cornerback and apparently struggled sometimes to read receivers.

We picked him because of his raw physical tools which are exceptional and hope he can learn enough of the 'mental' side of the game to make the step up in the same way Jahri Evans did, but having watched him on the field for a few downs against the Bears as a nickle back he didn't look all that assured in his reading of the plays and still appeared to need a lot of time.

My concern is that we were a bit overimpressed at his workout warrior status and overlooked the high-level of rawness....Given the way football works nowadays, if Usama takes two more years to make it to the starting lineup and become a useful starter, then there's every chance we'll immediately lose him in free agency, because his contract will be up just as he blossoms.

That's the trouble with raw, long-term potential players :(

The trouble is that none of us actually know how good he is, he simply didn't have enough playing time in real games for non-coaches lik us to make any informed opinion about his readiness to start.

:(

he played way more than all our other draft picks combined.

Usama had some moments this season, and he had some iffy moments as well. I dont think he played enough to gage whether or not he'll be "starting material" for us in 08. That being said, I believe he's the most athletically gifted CB we have and I hope he validates all the praise that Payton and company gave him when they drafted him.

A better question would be: Usama Young versus free agency. The Saints must get a starting cornerback in free agency. McKenzie will probably not be ready for the opening of the season--and may not ever be ready to play again, as much as I hate to say that. The Saints cannot afford to draft a CB and let him struggle as he learns. See signature below.

I've got a feeling that the Saints will not sign a "name" FA CB this signing period... and I see Jason David and either Usama Young or Jason Craft starting the season at the CB spots for us.

Not to whine about the past, but I really think we made a huge error in letting go of David Jones.

With that said, I think if given the starter's role Young would flourish. I think we need another CB, but if we signed either Truf. or Samuals, Young would be a great second corner with David at nickel.

I've got a feeling that the Saints will not sign a "name" FA CB this signing period... and I see Jason David and either Usama Young or Jason Craft starting the season at the CB spots for us.

I've been saying the same thing for a while. Jason David will be given every to start... as will Usama. They may draft 1 or 2 guys, and maybe pick sign an URFA... but I doubt you'll see one of those obscene contracts for a CB.

I think the FO realizes they need to upgrade the front 7 by either spending big and/or using high draft picks.

He was considered pretty good at Kent State of course and I think he played all 12 games in his final year, but even in a small college he wasn't considered a shut-down cornerback and apparently struggled sometimes to read receivers.

We picked him because of his raw physical tools which are exceptional and hope he can learn enough of the 'mental' side of the game to make the step up in the same way Jahri Evans did, but having watched him on the field for a few downs against the Bears as a nickle back he didn't look all that assured in his reading of the plays and still appeared to need a lot of time.

My concern is that we were a bit overimpressed at his workout warrior status and overlooked the high-level of rawness....Given the way football works nowadays, if Usama takes two more years to make it to the starting lineup and become a useful starter, then there's every chance we'll immediately lose him in free agency, because his contract will be up just as he blossoms.

That's the trouble with raw, long-term potential players :(

2nded

I've been saying the same thing for a while. Jason David will be given every to start... as will Usama. They may draft 1 or 2 guys, and maybe pick sign an URFA... but I doubt you'll see one of those obscene contracts for a CB.

I think the FO realizes they need to upgrade the front 7 by either spending big and/or using high draft picks.

For as terrible as Jason David was for most of last season, he did show improvement later in the season... He also showed that he can make some plays. MM will be back, and according to Mike D. he is progressing well. Usama Young is a future starter for us... as soon as next season... and Jason Craft is still serviceable. I don't think we're going to sign a name FA CB, and I don't think we should. I also don't think we should go CB in the 1st round.

Fixing the pass-rush and 2 of the 3 LB positions will make the CBs we have look alot better... trust me. However, if Josh Bullocks is still at FS, we'll still give up some big plays.

I agree with the idea that the Saints probably won't sign a "name" cornerback simply because no cornerback out there is worth the $80 million it will probably take to sign them.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see them dip into the restricted FA market to upgrade the talent, draft a couple more and see people like Fred Thomas and Jason Craft go by the wayside.

I agree with the idea that the Saints probably won't sign a "name" cornerback simply because no cornerback out there is worth the $80 million it will probably take to sign them.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see them dip into the restricted FA market to upgrade the talent, draft a couple more and see people like Fred Thomas and Jason Craft go by the wayside.

Oh yeah, I agree... I think they'll most likely sign a CB or two, but it'll be middle-tier (lesser name) guys like William James or Micheal Lehan. The RFA don't look too promising to me.

Key Restricted Free Agents

Rank Name Current Team Current Status
- Domonique Foxworth Denver 3rd round
- Eric Green Arizona 3rd round
- Stanley Wilson Detroit 3rd round
- Daven Holly Cleveland 7th round
- Joselio Hanson Philadelphia undrafted
- Karl Paymah Denver 3rd round
- Chris Carr Oakland undrafted

Eric Green is AWESOME, but 'zona won't let him go. Foxworth isn't worth a 3rd rounder IMO, and neither is Stanley Wilson.

I personally think we start the 09' season with either Jason David and Usuama Young starting or Usama Young and Jason Craft starting....we probably wont be able to get one the big Free Agent corners (there all being Tagged as we speak) so it gets to the point where you have to rely on coaching to get better and no accumulating veteran talent, so Payton and Co. have to get Young and David ready because we are probably gonna be relying on those two and Craft and some young draft picks and thatsnot a bad thing..i like young players, as they get better then team gets better.

We will address the Corner problem in FA, he may not be Trufant but the player should be able to help, but Usama Young is a player, he is aggresive and fast and plays the run...and you can see all of that in him in the little playing time he got this year, because in everygame he played he made some type of play to show his potential......well not every game.

Yeah, I've liked Eric Green since he came out of VT a few years ago.

Stanley Wilson has an interesting history, given who his dad was (and I believe his dad was on the Saints preseason roster once near the end of his career, but I could be mistaken).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom