USB issue (1 Viewer)

HouDat

Banned
Reaction score
Recently switched out a bad mobo (new mobo has same chipsets), and now I'm seeing a few bugs. Most are minor, save for this one:

When I plug in a USB storage device (flash memory, external HD, etc.) I hear the little acknowledgement sound (which indicates that the system recognizes that a USB device has been plugged in to one of the USB ports), and the hardware goes through the little "Found New Hardware" install routine. Once I get the bubble which tells me the device is now "ready to use", I go in to My Computer, and the drives are visible, but the device names are not. Most importantly, neither are any of my files.

Anyone ever see this happen?

FWIW, these devices work fine when plugged into my laptop computer.

Last edited:
Are you sure you have all the usb wires plugged onto the mobo correctly?
Did you install the usb drivers that came with the mobo, or did Windows just find them?
Did you install any new items like PCI cards when you changed out the board?

Wires are plugged; no new PCI cards from the old setup (perhaps some addresss changes, though). When I have time this afternoon, I'm going to uninstall all USB devices and re-install. (Amazing how we tend to forget to try the simple things, when a little tipsy...)

We'll see how that works.

on my MB you have to install the drivers for the MOBO right after windows before anything else is installed

OK, my project for this weekend is to correct this problem.

When I click on the drive in Windows, I get "F:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

Again, I've confirmed that both of these USB devices are fully functional, having successfully used them on my laptop.

The devices do show up both in My Computer (though the files do not) and in the Disk Management utility in XP.

I've completely removed all USB devices from my system, rebooted, and allowed XP to re-install them. No dice.

Other notes:

-USB camera (Sony) gives similar results: XP recognizes and installs software, but I'm unable to see my photos

-USB mouse works fine; USB printer works fine
---
Question: Is there a finite number of USB devices a system will support?

FWIW, my basic setup:

-Chaintech K8T800 MO w/ 1 MB PC3200 DDR RAM
-Athlon XP3400 processor

Doublecheck that driver I put in the link. The Chaintech site lists the MOBO as the SK8T800. Is that the same thing?

Yeah, my old board was K8T, the new one is SK8T. Same chipset. I've applied the Chaintech drivers which accompanied the board, but I'll run these, just in case.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom