USC Running Back Stafon Johnson Injured (1 Viewer)

good God that is horrible. Hopefully he makes a full recovery.

“I’ve seen players have the bar slip and fall onto their chest, but never in my 25 years of coaching have I heard of someone dropping a bar on their throat,” said strength and conditioning coach Chris Carlisle, who was standing 10 feet away when the accident happened. “We’re fortunate he was being spotted.”

How did this happen while being spotted? I lift weights and for the most part I spot people with both hands on the barbell just so something freaky like this doesn't happen.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-t25usc-johnsonhurt&prov=ap&type=lgns

I'm thinking he was probably lifting a weight that was relatively easy for him and the spotter was doing a half *** job. The bar somehow came out of his grip and landed on him. Again, just a guess.

I'm thinking he was probably lifting a weight that was relatively easy for him and the spotter was doing a half *** job. The bar somehow came out of his grip and landed on him. Again, just a guess.

ESPN reporting that he was benching 275, easy weight for a guy like that.

One of the assistant strength coaches was spotting. From that report, I would bet you are correct.

Post-surgery update

from the official USC blog:

Stafon Johnson is in critical but stable condition after a more than seven-hour surgery that ended late Monday night, according to a press release from California Hospital in downtown L.A., where the operation occurred.

The lengthy specialized surgery was required because of a threatened airway and "severe" injuries to Johnson's larynx, or voice box. The hospital says that his prognosis is "good."

Dr. Gudata Hinika, the trauma medical director at California Hospital, said in the release that it is unlikely Johnson will be able to return to the football field this season, but doctors are expecting a full recovery.

http://www.usctrojans.com/blog/2009/09/johnson-out-of-surgery-in-critical-but-stable-condition.html

I think it's a bit over-speculative to blame the spotter. 275 is not a great deal of weight for someone like Johnson. It could have easily been one of the first reps of a set, when a spotter isn't really necessary, and the bar could have just slipped. No human is going to be able to react fast enough and/or stop the bar from falling at that point.

When I heard about this last night, my prayers immediately went out for him. Good lord, that sounds so terrible.

It sounds odd to say when somebody just had a weight bar crash into their throat but it seems like that was one lucky dude. Doctors expect a full recovery.

I hope he is okay and makes a full recovery. I actually dropped the same weight (275lbs) on me while benching down at Keesler. I had forgot my gloves that day and my hands were slippery. I exploded up and when I reached the top the bar just slipped out and bounced off my chest. There is no way my spotters could have reacted and caught it in time. It actually scared me more than it hurt, but I was lucky as it landed on my chest there is no way I can image what that amount of weight would feel like landing on my neck.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom