Use Brandin Cooks on special teams (1 Viewer)

LombardiGras

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Cooks is growing frustrated from not getting enough touches.

The Saints punt return situation has been a mess.

2 birds with 1 stone - use Cooks as the punt returner from now on. No one else has inspired confidence, Cooks is our the best option anyway right now. As a receiver he shouldn't have a problem catching the ball securely, and if the blocks are set up he can out run anyone.

So how do we know what Cooks is really feeling? One game no passes? He's been in this offense long enough to know how it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea it seems all this frustration is just people speculating. Has he actually said anything? Because he doesn't seem the type to do that

1) Have you seen Cooks trying to return punts? He's not very good at it.

2) How do you know he's frustrated?

1) Have you seen Cooks trying to return punts? He's not very good at it.
Cooks may not be an all pro returner, but he is our best option at this time. Tommy Lee has made too many costly errors, same for Murphy. If not Cooks, then who?

2) How do you know he's frustrated?
His post after the game was not hard to interpret. What else do you think he could possibly have been expressing with that comment?

Byrd is already back there...fair-catching punts every so often to earn that $54MM paycheck

Byrd has not been used for returning punts, he's only back there in situations where the Saints wanted to fair catch a punt. Although he did fail at that job on one of the punts against the Rams.

His post after the game was not hard to interpret. What else do you think he could possibly have been expressing with that comment?

What exactly (word for word) did he post?

Edit: I found it. He posted, "They tell you it's a business. Well I guess I have to turn into a businessman." It was posted on Monday, his off day. Maybe he was visiting his CPA or financial consultant and making investments. I think its a stretch to say that statement means he is suddenly a selfish, deva wide receiver who does not want to me a team player and instead wants to be a "give me the ball" type player.

Last edited:
Byrd has not been used for returning punts, he's only back there in situations where the Saints wanted to fair catch a punt. Although he did fail at that job on one of the punts against the Rams.

In fairness, the Rams punter kicked it 25 yards further than expected. Being up by several touchdowns, Byrd made the smart play to not chase it down and cause a turnover.

What exactly (word for word) did he post?

Here are Brandin's comments after his big game against the Panthers earlier this year.

“One of the things I feel like in those two games … I probably just wasn’t being used right, in my opinion." “But with that being said, we fixed those things, we kind of watched film and just got it fixed.”

Cooks was unusually clear and vocal about his dissatisfaction in the way he was used in the 2 games leading up to Carolina (held to 5 catches total in those 2 games). Now here are comments after Rams game where he didn't record a catch.

"They tell you it's a business. Well I guess I have to turn into a businessman." (hashtag "shoot your arrows")

If anyone doesn't think this comment is expressing frustration with how he was used, then please tell me what you think the comment is in reference to because I think its pretty clear.

Edit: I found it. He posted, "They tell you it's a business. Well I guess I have to turn into a businessman." It was posted on Monday, his off day. Maybe he was visiting his CPA or financial consultant and making investments. I think its a stretch to say that statement means he is suddenly a selfish, deva wide receiver who does not want to me a team player and instead wants to be a "give me the ball" type player.

Nah. "They tell you it's a business" is referring to the game of football. "guess I have to turn into a businessman" means he will have to adjust his approach to the game of football somehow. The "shoot your arrows" hashtag is even more clearly in reference to him wanting opportunities to score. Your explanation sounds like far more of a reach than mine.

Cooks and Byrd have lined up as punt returners. Not often. I think Cooks was on 2 punt returns this year vs Denver. Byrd's been used a few more times. Saw Snead catching punts in OTAs and training camp. When healthy... we've used Cadet before. I'm sure all these possibilities and more have been explored.

There's probably not a good answer this season. So we'll look in free agency or the draft. Too bad there's not a beer-truck driver available atm... :hihi:

The written word can be easy to misinterpret. Why do you think that SR spent all that money on the sarcasm font?

I thought he was just posting an artsy, inspirational 2 liner. As if to say "I'll do whatever it takes to dominate and prove myself." I regard to his comments pre-Panthers, I took that as him stating that he wasn't held in check by his opposition/matchup bc they are better, but rather that the gameplan didn't suit his best abilities, allowing his opponent to get the upper hand on him specifically. The only frustration he's probably having is that he's a competitor and doesn't want anyone to start saying he got "shut down" when the gameplan was to be a coverage decoy to benefit/feature another matchup.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom