Use them all ( QBs ) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
5 years ago Drew was being questioned about his Arm Strength , He responded I can do everything now that I did when I was 25. He laughed it off , and life went on.

Just recently when asked a very similar question his answer was much different. Much more defensive. Much more personal. His explanation was that its not his job to throw deep , but to get the ball to his guys.

Very different answers. Very telling as well.

I dug a bit a found that Drew was as recently as last month working with QB guru Tom House working on one particular part of his game... The Deep ball.

Other publications had stories on Drew tinkering with technique to " Take 10 Years off of his arm ".

Its seems to me , he is definatley aware of his football mortality and has done all he can do compensate for his lack of arm strength. Its just not enough anymore.

I have to remind myself that this man was never supposed to play another down in the NFL again after his shoulder was destroyed in San Diego.

Staying Elite forever for any QB is hard enough , then you factor in that Drews Shoulder probably had a shorter expiration date on it , I understand.

But what does this mean for our immediate season ? To continue to write this year off ?

No , we should adjust in my opinion.

Give Taysom more snaps with playaction , Sprinkle a few Jameis Winston wrinkles in to kick start drives and generate explosive plays , confuse defenses. Then when we get into Redzone passing situations , Let Drew own the offense.

Deep throws don't matter there , Ball placement and accuracy are all that counts.

Decipher who's in based on down and distance. This helps us get this offense rolling and also will help us gain more of an understanding on which QB should be the guy once Drew is done.

Sean Payton has been creative with every offensive position there is. The answer to saving this season may just be doing the same with his QB room.

I don't think Jameis will get any playing time unless Drew and Taysom are injured. If he's around next year, and Drew retires, he'll have a chance to compete for the #1 in preseason but it's Taysoms to lose. As for now, I'd love to see Taysom run an entire series ever so often. Drew is not benchable at this point......there's bigger fish to fry than his arm strength.

While these are valid points, I want to point out 3 things:
1. I believe CSP will find ways to make this work.
2. You didn't have to dig very hard to find information on Drew working to improve arm strength. For the first 2 weeks of the season, it's all I ever heard about when the Saints were mentioned.
3. It's "definitely" -- not "definatley". Sorry, but it made my skin crawl when I saw it. ;)

I don't think Jameis will get any playing time unless Drew and Taysom are injured. If he's around next year, and Drew retires, he'll have a chance to compete for the #1 in preseason but it's Taysoms to lose. As for now, I'd love to see Taysom run an entire series ever so often. Drew is not benchable at this point......there's bigger fish to fry than his arm strength.
I think last year if Brees had been hurt for much longer, we would've played Taysom at QB. So it would need only be Brees getting hurt again for a short period of time. Like during a game, I'm nearly certain we'd slide in Winston, not Hill. And if Brees is seriously out, we'd shift our offense and become a Hill team.

The arm strength wasn't even the worry. The real worry was him missing passes badly. He seemed more like himself last game. I hope that's just rust being knocked off. We'll see vs Detroit.

I do agree with Madake63 about seeing Taysom run a whole series of downs instead on coming in for one play at QB and run a high tempo offense to keep the defense on their heels. IMO if Payton truly believes Taysom is the QB of the future then why is not getting more playing time at QB? Watching someone in practice is completely different than in game time. And Taysom is also going up against our horrible secondary in practice so they probably do make him look great.

I truly believe that Winston has a better shot as the future QB of the Saints than Taysom does or we’d be seeing more of him playing QB and letting Drew rest some during the game.

Just hit me. I wonder if Brees is in the middle of a throwing motion transition that is impacting his accuracy. In golf, when we take a series of lessons to make changes to our game, we almost always get worse before better. Maybe Brees is still trying to incorporate what he learned this summer to increase the long ball?

I truly believe that Winston has a better shot as the future QB of the Saints than Taysom does or we’d be seeing more of him playing QB and letting Drew rest some during the game.
Payton is not going to plug Winston in long term until Taysom comes up short. I would not bet against #7.

Hill takes the snap who hands if off to Winston who laterals it to a Zack Baun who-we-forgot-existed-but-he-was-instead-hiding-in-the-logo who passes it to Brees, who spin moves and gains one yard

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom