N/S USFL RETURNS IN 2022 (1 Viewer)

I remember the USFL and loved the Breakers. Dupree remains one of the best athletes I’ve ever seen. When he would turn the corner and start downfield his speed was amazing. A few years after the USFL was over I saw Dupree at a gas station in Hattiesburg and he had more Jerry curl in his hair then anyone I had ever seen before and was slightly overweight. Then I saw him pop up on Facebook and he was driving a garbage truck.
There is a good 30-30 documentary on Dupree and his story

I remember seeing something about that but I never did. I need to go try to find it. Thanks for reminding me about it.
The XFL one is really good, too. The USFL players/coaches absorbing into the NFL changed the game and the XFL changed the NFL with a lot of technology and the televised experience.

In order for it to succeed - REALLY succeed - they need to have some kind of agreement/affiliation with the NFL. Sort of like NFL Europe back in the day, just cheaper. A place where practice squad and developmental players can get reps. Where young coaches can get experience. And that can benefit from some financial backing and media partnership. Plus, not having to worry about what happened with USFL 1.0 with some owners getting greedy and trying to become direct competition.
I agree,but don't see it happening. The NFL has the best farm system in place already,and it doesn't cost them a dime. It's called college football.

Below is a very good article why the USFL failed the first time. I believe they could have suceeded,but their fate was sealed when the owners decided to go to a fall schedule opposite the NFL.

I agree,but don't see it happening. The NFL has the best farm system in place already,and it doesn't cost them a dime. It's called college football.

Below is a very good article why the USFL failed the first time. I believe they could have suceeded,but their fate was sealed when the owners decided to go to a fall schedule opposite the NFL.
The big difference is that they don’t have the Generals owner involved.
It has a great chance with FOX behind it.

An excellent documentary by ESPN

An excellent documentary by ESPN

I will watch this when I have time, thanks. I find it very interesting. I may just remember it differently because I was so young, but it felt like the USFL was a bigger deal than all of the secondary leagues that have come after. But as I remember that was also their problem - they tried to do it all with money too early. Yes they got some big names but they couldn’t back those contracts it took to get them. And the NFL has a lot of powerful friends.

I will watch this when I have time, thanks. I find it very interesting. I may just remember it differently because I was so young, but it felt like the USFL was a bigger deal than all of the secondary leagues that have come after. But as I remember that was also their problem - they tried to do it all with money too early. Yes they got some big names but they couldn’t back those contracts it took to get them. And the NFL has a lot of powerful friends.
It had a deal with ABC from Day 1. That’s why it got so much press so quickly.

More Bobby highlights. He was the Drew Brees of the USFL

Actually, he threw vertical more often than the older Brees did. Bobby also had better receivers in the college (Duper) and in the USFL (Carter) than he ever had with the Saints.

I'm still a Breakers homer even after all these years, so here's a full-game version (albeit a bit fuzzy) of when the Breakers took on the Panthers in 1984.....

Why don't this USFL, the XFL, and whatever the other one was just merge into something bigger, pool their money, and have a better chance of surviving?

Alternate History...

Instead of Steve Walsh trade, the Saints get Anthony Carter and, at least, win a playoff game.
Great article, thanks for posting. Hebert's hold out did change the league. Jim Finks was set to succeed Pete Rozelle as commissioner. He had the support of the old guard . Newer owners led by Jerry Jones blocked it,and Tagliabue eventually got the job. Hebert's actions changed the future of the league,and for the better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom