Using Paypal (1 Viewer)

Cajun Chat

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've used paypal for purchases of mostly sports tickets online for the last 3-4 years.

I've never given them my bank information. It concerns me that someone can have access to my bank account information.

Thoughts?

Ive used paypal on ebay, and before that, half.com for about 7 years. Ive had 0 problems. Maybe I got lucky? :idunno:

I use it all of the time just make sure no one can guess your password and that you don't give it to anybody that you don't want to have it... or anyone at all actually.

I use it too, I also have a paypal debit Mastercard, it hsa 1% cash back on everything, it takes from your paypal first then from whatever other account you have it set to.

I had the same concerns regarding letting them have access to my accounts, after reading horror stories about people being locked out of funds due to Paypal holding it due to some issue with a transaction on eBay. What I did was open another account and only keep a few hundred dollars in there and linking that one to Paypal, so if there is some dispute they won't lock funds in my primary account. Then I link up my Visa that is a debit card for my primary account, and if I want to make a big purchase I can pay with the Visa and the money comes directly out of my primary account.

Works for me, never had an issue and been using Paypal since Y2K.

Furor, so I have an account with paypal now.

You said I should open another account and give them all my bank information? Or is there another way I can lift the $500 limit on taking money out of my account?

oh, with paypal the really biggest thing i know of .. People will email you with things looking like it came from paypal, saying you need to sign in and update your information or something, NEVER SIGN IN FROM THAT E-MAIL , most are fraudulent to get your id information so they can use it.
if paypal is sending you a message, they do it with the online messages feature in paypal/ebay.

and really i suggest if you get those type of emails.. delete the email . clear cache/cookies, and then sign into your paypal to make sure it's not really an issue.

Furor, so I have an account with paypal now.

You said I should open another account and give them all my bank information? Or is there another way I can lift the $500 limit on taking money out of my account?

What I did was open another bank account so that my Paypal account wouldn't be linked to my main bank account.

I understand. Thanks.

oh, with paypal the really biggest thing i know of .. People will email you with things looking like it came from paypal, saying you need to sign in and update your information or something, NEVER SIGN IN FROM THAT E-MAIL , most are fraudulent to get your id information so they can use it.
if paypal is sending you a message, they do it with the online messages feature in paypal/ebay.

and really i suggest if you get those type of emails.. delete the email . clear cache/cookies, and then sign into your paypal to make sure it's not really an issue.

Best advice of the day. I work as a computer security consultant and I encounter problems like that all the time. And the same goes for any mail you receive from banks and credit cards

I've been using it since June 2005 and I've never had a dispute against me, but any dispute I've made I won (truthfully) and was given my money back.

jrd did you give them your bank information so you don't have a limit on what you can get from your account?

I set up a free checking account at Capital One with no over draft. I had to put 50$ in to open it, but dropped it to 1$. If I want to buy something online, I use the debit card associated with that account and transfer the amount needed from my other account. This way, the account is useless to anyone that might get access to it as there is no money in it.

Paypal also has a security key that you can get for $5. It's a small key fob that has an LCD screen with a random 6 digit number. Everytime you do a transaction on paypal, it asks for that number.

I think that makes it pretty tough for anyone to do something with my account.

jrd did you give them your bank information so you don't have a limit on what you can get from your account?

Yes

I also am verified so there is no limit that I can transfer to my account

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom