Using the NO-RTA (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Hi everyone, after much thinking I'll probably opt for a mixed solution (RTA at day, cabs at night) to move around New Orleans in my upcoming vacation. Does anyone frequently use the RTA system comprised of buses and streetcars? Is it a viable option and moreover are the transportation vehicles usually on time (I already downloaded the timetables of the lines I'll probably use the most: 55/57/62/64/94)? Thank you in advance for your opinions and eventual suggestions.

:za_thanx:

New Orleans = pathetic public transportation systems

You will be fine with the street car. Make sure the cabbies put the meter on, if they dont, dont pay. If you take the bus, good luck.

Goats is right. The New Orleans Public Transportation system, excluding the street cars, is pretty bad. The street cars are nice and will get you from anywhere along St. Charles to the edge of the French Quarter and up along Canal Street. So, if you are looking to go in those areas, it would work for you. However, the street cars stop running at night (12:00 P.M. the last time I checked) so you would have to cab it to get back unless it's an early night. As far as cabs, it's a viable option, but don't count on hailing a cab from the street. There aren't enough cabs just rolling around looking for passengers to do that in New Orleans. The best approach is to have the bartender or maitre de at whatever bar/restaurant you are at call a cab for you. Each place or person often has a realtionship with a particular cab company so they will show up. If you just personally call, they often times don't show. You could try the cab stands by the hotels, but those drivers are usually waiting for airport fares and can get nasty if you are only going a few miles.

Hi everyone, after much thinking I'll probably opt for a mixed solution (RTA at day, cabs at night) to move around New Orleans in my upcoming vacation. Does anyone frequently use the RTA system comprised of buses and streetcars? Is it a viable option and moreover are the transportation vehicles usually on time (I already downloaded the timetables of the lines I'll probably use the most: 55/57/62/64/94)? Thank you in advance for your opinions and eventual suggestions.

:za_thanx:

WAIT!!! You mean NO has bus lines that service the city and can allow visitors to get to NO East for volunteering opportunities...:no:

New Orleans = pathetic public transportation systems. You will be fine with the street car. Make sure the cabbies put the meter on, if they dont, dont pay. If you take the bus, good luck.

Thank you for the info, especially for the note about cabbies. But what do you mean about having luck with the buses? Are they late or what?

Goats is right. The New Orleans Public Transportation system, excluding the street cars, is pretty bad. The street cars are nice and will get you from anywhere along St. Charles to the edge of the French Quarter and up along Canal Street. So, if you are looking to go in those areas, it would work for you. However, the street cars stop running at night (12:00 P.M. the last time I checked) so you would have to cab it to get back unless it's an early night. As far as cabs, it's a viable option, but don't count on hailing a cab from the street. There aren't enough cabs just rolling around looking for passengers to do that in New Orleans. The best approach is to have the bartender or maitre de at whatever bar/restaurant you are at call a cab for you. Each place or person often has a realtionship with a particular cab company so they will show up. If you just personally call, they often times don't show. You could try the cab stands by the hotels, but those drivers are usually waiting for airport fares and can get nasty if you are only going a few miles.

Thank you, too.

WAIT!!! You mean NO has bus lines that service the city and can allow visitors to get to NO East for volunteering opportunities...:no:

I don't know, I've only spotted the lines that pass near the hotel where I'll stay. Maybe they serve for the above mentioned purpose as well.

:)

20 years later I still go to therapy to deal with my experiences while riding the RTA across town to and from school everyday.

20 years later I still go to therapy to deal with my experiences while riding the RTA across town to and from school everyday.

So you were a bus driver, right? Is it really that bad the transportation system in New Orleans? You know, I work in Milan and besides the metro lines I have a vast knowledge (ranging from the frequent 10/20 minutes delays to completely MIA runs) of the pitiful Italian public transportation system.

So you were a bus driver, right? Is it really that bad the transportation system in New Orleans? You know, I work in Milan and besides the metro lines I have a vast knowledge (ranging from the frequent 10/20 minutes delays to completely MIA runs) of the pitiful Italian public transportation system.

NO buses are actually kind of italian-like timetable-wise (southern italy)
and depending on where you're going the lines can get a little sketchy

all that being said, it can get you from here to there and is probably a fine alternative if you're not on a tight schedule

I've used RTA numerous times on vacation in the N.O. and have never had any major problems with service, though I do tend to be a patient person who doesn't mind if a bus is 10-15 minutes late as long as I'm not pressed for time (which I'm usually not on vacations).

I do think rental car is much more preferable option if you can afford it, especially if you don't have to pay a daily fee to park at your hotel.

I'm very used to public transpo here in NYC and have relied on the RTA numerous times. Compared to other cities(other than NYC), the RTA isn't as bad as y'all say. If you are there when the bus is coming, you can to your destination pretty quickly. If you don't know when it's coming or how long it's been since the last bus, then you could be in for a marathon wait.

Tchoupitoula(s) bus to Tips Uptown is a breeze.

The streetcars are not efficient in terms of time, but they get you around. And incorrectly stated in earlier posts, the st charles streetcar line and the canal-cemeteries line run 24-hours (albeit at at a frequency of about 1 every 50 minutes). Of course, this is mostly useless to me since I live off of the Canal-carrolton city park line. I look forward to the day I can get a streetcar home from the quarter in the middle of the night.

EDIT: the canal-cemeteries line won't be 24 hrs until Jan 2.

I'm very used to public transpo here in NYC and have relied on the RTA numerous times. Compared to other cities(other than NYC), the RTA isn't as bad as y'all say. If you are there when the bus is coming, you can to your destination pretty quickly. If you don't know when it's coming or how long it's been since the last bus, then you could be in for a marathon wait.

Tchoupitoula(s) bus to Tips Uptown is a breeze.

^ this ^ because people who have lived in big cities tend to be more used to walking a block or two, and waiting a few minutes (horrors!) if it saves us the hassle of overpaying for a cab, or (if driving), finding a place to park the vehicle once we get to where we are going :)

i use the Magazine bus and the Esplanade bus regularly. When i lived Uptown, i used the Claiborne bus, and that was fine too.

The Freret Jet runs frequently enough, because i always seem to be either right behind it or a few cars ahead of it. The other lines, i can't speak to... except that i am on Elysian Fields Ave pretty frequently, and it doesn't seem like i see half as many Elysian Fields buses as i used to see.

The streetcars are reliable because the visitors ride them. If more visitors rode the RTA, that might generate some city interest in the buses, too. You'll do fine, Invictus... try the bus; if that doesn't work, call a cab.

My one gripe about RTA is that the transfer is NOT good for a return trip on the same line, if within two hours. In DC and NYC and Boston, that's how it works.

You musta had a few bad experiences. I never really have a problem finding a taxi in NOLA (finding a cab on NYE to go across the IC may be a different story; I don't know).

I don't know any people that actually use the buses. They're there, though. You should use them and let us know how they work :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom