USMNT - The Berhalter Era (2 Viewers)

I have to imagine it’s for defensive reasons- that we’ll go with 10s and false 9s to add defensive pressure and try to create off counters and channel runs
I get it, but I think this means the main threat on set pieces is Zimmerman

Welp if that's our strategy, then I'll be one prissy match day poster.

If we are content to sit back and absorb looking to counter, it's going to be short WC. The ONLY team I would employ that some of the time is England. Wales and Iran don't have big enough threat up top to force us into defensive shell.

I gotta think we will have different set up and philosophy for each opponent. I'm all for pressing attack vs England. They will make mistakes. Wales, while solid, I don't think can absorb.

End of the day, whomever up top, has got to finish when the chance presents itself.

Really kinda shocked about Steffen.. Could that have been an addition by subtraction case where they didn't want Turner worried about Steffen taking his place?

The biggest shock was the exclusion of Middlesbrough goalkeeper Zack Steffen.

When healthy, Steffen had been locked in a battle with Arsenal's Matt Turner for the starting spot during World Cup qualifying, with Berhalter usually picking Steffen for the bigger matches.

His loan move to Boro from Manchester City was done for him to get more first-team minutes, and he largely achieved that goal, playing in 16 of the club's 20 matches in England's second-tier Championship.

But it wasn't enough to make the roster, with Turner, Luton Town's Ethan Horvath and New York City FC's Sean Johnson preferred.

"In some of the cases it's more about what we have than what we don't have," Berhalter told ESPN during Wednesday's roster reveal show.

"With the three goalkeepers listed on the roster, we feel great, we feel really good about it. We saw a lot of progress with Matt Turner in this last six months, we know Ethan Horvath has been competing at a good level at Luton in the Championship, and Sean Johnson has been a mainstay in this group since day one."

Berhalter added that "the lean is toward" Turner starting in goal, though noted that "he had a slight injury that he has been working on so we will get him into camp and see exactly how he is."

Really kinda shocked about Steffen.. Could that have been an addition by subtraction case where they didn't want Turner worried about Steffen taking his place?
Steffen has been woeful
I’d mostly wanted Steffen over Turner - bc I liked S’s feet over T’s hands
But the last year has been badbad for Steffen

I wish our USMNT gear wasn’t so lame - the branding seems like racquetball league from the 90s.

I can’t find a shirt I want. I do sort of like the training jersey.

1668046047766.png

Steffen has been woeful
I’d mostly wanted Steffen over Turner - bc I liked S’s feet over T’s hands
But the last year has been badbad for Steffen
I agree. I mean, the two major gaffes with his feet in critical games for City can’t be overlooked at all considering our desired style of play.

Like are you still working through your feelings? Did you almost go pro? Did you bet dad’s new car on you winning first?

Let’s just say I don’t want to talk about it.

But what I do want to talk about is possibly meeting up for game 1 (US v Wales, 1pm CST Monday 11/21).

I’m in town for the week, gonna be downtown. Thinking maybe Ryan’s Irish Pub.

Let’s just say I don’t want to talk about it.

But what I do want to talk about is possibly meeting up for game 1 (US v Wales, 1pm CST Monday 11/21).

I’m in town for the week, gonna be downtown. Thinking maybe Ryan’s Irish Pub.
Oh dang
That might could happen

I wish our USMNT gear wasn’t so lame - the branding seems like racquetball league from the 90s.

I can’t find a shirt I want. I do sort of like the training jersey.

1668046047766.png
I went last Sat to Third Coast Soccer. .saw our kits in person. They are worse in person than in pictures. Left with a simple US Crest tee.

I just couldn't pull trigger. I'll wear my practice jersey before the WC kit

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom