USMNT - The Berhalter Era (5 Viewers)

fwiw

DOHA, Qatar -- United States men's national team manager Gregg Berhalter is set to begin discussions on a new contract with the U.S. Soccer Federation, sources have told ESPN.

One source acknowledged it's still very early in the process, and other sources have indicated that Berhalter is interested in exploring European club options.

Welcome to Wrexham season 2?

He wont land a 1st division gig. Especially not having been on any staff for any amount of time in Europe.

But i wish him luck.

Welcome to Wrexham season 2?

He wont land a 1st division gig. Especially not having been on any staff for any amount of time in Europe.

But i wish him luck.
obviously hadn't put much thought into greggg's pov (just kind of assuming he'd want to be back)
but thinking on it, this is potentially the highest his profile will get - this is probably his best time to make a move

Scotland??

obviously hadn't put much thought into greggg's pov (just kind of assuming he'd want to be back)
but thinking on it, this is potentially the highest his profile will get - this is probably his best time to make a move

Scotland??

if they are enamored with american style soccer, sure.

I agree that his "brand" is currently approaching ceiling. What that leads him to, in Europe, is anyone's guess.

If i had to say, it would be a div 2 type team where he would be allowed to make mistakes and grow. Too much "win now" pressure at any division 1 team in any league ( if bottom- pressure to not be relegated )

I would also venture to guess that like many of us, questions abound around his "style" - what type of soccer philosophy ( offense/defense ) does he want to employ?

I mean we saw 4 games and only 1 ( Eng ) was clear- bottle up their mids and play for counter. The other 3 were kinda bland with no real tactical attack.

USMNT boss Gregg Berhalter weighs up Europe move amid new contract talk - sources

DOHA, Qatar -- United States men's national team manager Gregg Berhalter is set to begin discussions on a new contract with the U.S. Soccer Federation, sources have told ESPN.

One source acknowledged it's still very early in the process, and other sources have indicated that Berhalter is interested in exploring European club options.

The US are coming off a World Cup in which it finished second in Group B to reach the round of 16, where they fell 3-1 to the Netherlands. Following the US team's exit, Berhalter said he needed some time to "decompress" before deciding on his future, but the USSF is prepared to begin talks on a new contract. Berhalter's existing deal expires at the end of the year, and the USSF has scheduled a January camp that will be largely composed of domestic players and will conclude with friendlies against Serbia on Jan. 25 and against Colombia three days later.

USMNT boss Gregg Berhalter weighs up Europe move amid new contract talk - sources

The US are coming off a World Cup in which it finished second in Group B to reach the round of 16, where they fell 3-1 to the Netherlands. Following the US team's exit, Berhalter said he needed some time to "decompress" before deciding on his future, but the USSF is prepared to begin talks on a new contract. Berhalter's existing deal expires at the end of the year, and the USSF has scheduled a January camp that will be largely composed of domestic players and will conclude with friendlies against Serbia on Jan. 25 and against Colombia three days later.
What's the board's feeling on him coming back at this point?

What's the board's feeling on him coming back at this point?
If he doesn't present a clear plan to address and solve our goal scoring woes, then idk if I'd resign him

And I don't mean reliance upon playwr development alone. How do we get more goals with current roster?

seldom to coaches get 2+ WC cycles
greggg got us to a good spot, but there's no reason to assume he's the best for getting us to the next level.
our best players have had a few years with decent to good Euro clubs/coaches
most are about to move up a level and will be on strong tactical sides for a bit
we'll need a coach who can weave all of this together in short chunks of time

we'll also need someone who can sshhh the USSF - like if we play Copa, ussf will scream to have some of those matches in Ohio - it's better for the team if those matches stay in S America
ussf will want as much MLS rep on the squad as possible - unless we have some 20yr old goal scoring freak who just hasn't been poached by a euro team yet, we probably shouldn't have another MLS player on the squad

I'd be fine with him moving on....I would rather a coach that recognizes the talent on his own (and off) roster.....I really don't think he can take this team any further, we need a risk taker....

Echoing the other thoughts. I'm happy that we got into the WC and advanced out of group play. That met expectations, which is great after the 2018 debacle.

However, that game against the Dutch was a real eye opener on our lack of creativity. We really had no ideas in the final third. I'm not sure Gregg is the guy to give us those ideas.

If not Berhalter, who do we want?

I am assumingthey have to be unattached or willing to leavetheir current gig.

Do you think we stay domestic? Or is it an international search?

Managers unattached off the top of my head... I always liked Rafa Benítez tactically, but he will be 66 in 2026, has bounced around alot over the previous few years, and he is a bit of a hard-arse who can alienate his players.

If not Berhalter, who do we want?

I am assumingthey have to be unattached or willing to leavetheir current gig.

Do you think we stay domestic? Or is it an international search?

Managers unattached off the top of my head... I always liked Rafa Benítez tactically, but he will be 66 in 2026, has bounced around alot over the previous few years, and he is a bit of a hard-arse who can alienate his players.

I think it has to be someone that can put players in their best positions to take advantage of their strengths and possibly minimize weakness. If we have more weakness than strenghts ( or players with duplicate roles ( see Musah and McKennie ) ) are we ok with them making the decision to jettison one for the other?

I think it comes down to how can we utilize our current players ( and other bench/cusp/up n comers ) to maximize scoring and still remain stout defensively.

we have focused a lot on striker/mid...but if we get that talented CB- the one who can be counted on to keep the other 3 in shape, defend well and distribute well, then that opens up the front 7 to different iterations of players. ( attacking vs defensive minded ) So is Miles Robinson, assuming he returns to form post achilles, that guy? Dest and Jedi seemingly have the wing back spots locked down. Who plays alongside Miles? If not Miles, who?

Lots of questions, but i think the right combination of 1-2 players can really open possibilities in front.

If you think about the teams left ( and National teams that historically have been strong ) there is a common theme among defense. That CB

off the top-
Varane- France
Stones/Maguire- England
Pepe- Portugal
Godin- Uruguay
Thiago Silva- Brazil
Chiellini - Italy
Rudiger - Germany
Ramos- Spain
Van Dyke- Dutch

So i think its imperative we find someone of that stature that can command the back 4 that helps open the front 7 possibilities.

I think it has to be someone that can put players in their best positions to take advantage of their strengths and possibly minimize weakness. If we have more weakness than strenghts ( or players with duplicate roles ( see Musah and McKennie ) ) are we ok with them making the decision to jettison one for the other?

I think it comes down to how can we utilize our current players ( and other bench/cusp/up n comers ) to maximize scoring and still remain stout defensively.

we have focused a lot on striker/mid...but if we get that talented CB- the one who can be counted on to keep the other 3 in shape, defend well and distribute well, then that opens up the front 7 to different iterations of players. ( attacking vs defensive minded ) So is Miles Robinson, assuming he returns to form post achilles, that guy? Dest and Jedi seemingly have the wing back spots locked down. Who plays alongside Miles? If not Miles, who?

Lots of questions, but i think the right combination of 1-2 players can really open possibilities in front.

If you think about the teams left ( and National teams that historically have been strong ) there is a common theme among defense. That CB

off the top-
Varane- France
Stones/Maguire- England
Pepe- Portugal
Godin- Uruguay
Thiago Silva- Brazil
Chiellini - Italy
Rudiger - Germany
Ramos- Spain
Van Dyke- Dutch

So i think its imperative we find someone of that stature that can command the back 4 that helps open the front 7 possibilities.
Musah mckennie is the problem we need to have at every position
As many like for like swaps as we can get
The further I get from the Netherlands match, the more I feel fitness was our major issue - a fully fit team gives Holland the same problems it gave UK

I want us to argue over the starting 10 moreso than players 18-25

Next coach HAS to be someone with knockout round wins - WC would be great, but at least CL or UEFA cups

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom