USMNT - The Berhalter Era (5 Viewers)

Yeah, I would have thought so too, but I don't watch nearly enough soccer to say it convincingly. :hihi:
It’s both cynical and smart by Jamaica (they didn’t have many options)
They’re desperate for pts and knew they couldn’t match player for player
So foul aggressively at the beginning to see where the ref’s line is
And it worked for a half
There’s some chicken/egg whether the ref wasn’t buying the act anymore or Jamaica’s formation shift was what opened space that Pepi, et al exploited, but something had to give

It’s both cynical and smart by Jamaica (they didn’t have many options)
They’re desperate for pts and knew they couldn’t match player for player
So foul aggressively at the beginning to see where the ref’s line is
And it worked for a half
There’s some chicken/egg whether the ref wasn’t buying the act anymore or Jamaica’s formation shift was what opened space that Pepi, et al exploited, but something had to give

I think Jamaica was a bit lax in getting into shape at the start of the second. I dont think it was a true formation shift, as it was just kinda lazy.

For the fact we had no score in the first, we still had bulk of the possession. It was clear if we figured it out and finished chances, the goal(s) would come. I really think after the first goal, Jam heads went down- they couldnt maintain possession and most times they would knock forward, it was quicly intercepted and back came the US in attack. The second goal took their will.

Add to the fact that there are rumblings of Whitmore about to lose his job. So it could be compounded by the players are simply no longer responding to him.

Fully agree on the "lets foul to see what Ref will allow tonite" part- But we also got much quicker in the second when closed down by a defender. Dest set a tone in the second with his constant running/dribbling taking the first defender on.

Weah is a gazelle with great skill. Looks to be light on his feet- plays very strong ( upper body ) yet can run like a deer. I hope to see him get a starting nod soon to see what trouble he can cause over 60-70 min.

I think Jamaica was a bit lax in getting into shape at the start of the second. I dont think it was a true formation shift, as it was just kinda lazy.

For the fact we had no score in the first, we still had bulk of the possession. It was clear if we figured it out and finished chances, the goal(s) would come. I really think after the first goal, Jam heads went down- they couldnt maintain possession and most times they would knock forward, it was quicly intercepted and back came the US in attack. The second goal took their will.

Add to the fact that there are rumblings of Whitmore about to lose his job. So it could be compounded by the players are simply no longer responding to him.

Fully agree on the "lets foul to see what Ref will allow tonite" part- But we also got much quicker in the second when closed down by a defender. Dest set a tone in the second with his constant running/dribbling taking the first defender on.

Weah is a gazelle with great skill. Looks to be light on his feet- plays very strong ( upper body ) yet can run like a deer. I hope to see him get a starting nod soon to see what trouble he can cause over 60-70 min.
Very CONCACAFFY officiating tonight..

And what's with CONCACAF not providing for VAR at all sites? Taylor Twellman was all over that last night.

Agree on Weah. That touch and pace to get past the defender in the box and then subsequent cross to Zardes was nice. If he can just stay healthy.

you're probably right about the 'lazy' thing
my guess is they just hoped for a lucky goal in the 1st - start of the 2nd, they knew they would not be able to deal with US fitness and bench - i am nervous that Berhalter seems to really lean on fitness/bench. it's notable that neither of our goals came from breaking down the low block. but we did see moments where Musah and Weah in particular working through the block (esp musah going straight up the gut - dest at times as well) - and that's probably what frustrates me about aronson - he seems to get frustrated when the bus gets parked and he knows he's not going to body through the defense so he just takes wacky shots from 45' even when opportunities seem 2 touches away

It's a CONCACAF thing. Apparently all locations aren't able to provide the technical resources to support it. So if you can't have it everywhere, you can't have it anywhere.
what's with you answering your own questions?
yeah, seemingly if a country does not have a strong domestic league, they're not really going to be able to swing VAR
i would suggest VAR be part of TV rights contracts - how hard would it be for ESPN or Fox to provide the equipment for VAR?

you're probably right about the 'lazy' thing
my guess is they just hoped for a lucky goal in the 1st - start of the 2nd, they knew they would not be able to deal with US fitness and bench - i am nervous that Berhalter seems to really lean on fitness/bench. it's notable that neither of our goals came from breaking down the low block. but we did see moments where Musah and Weah in particular working through the block (esp musah going straight up the gut - dest at times as well) - and that's probably what frustrates me about aronson - he seems to get frustrated when the bus gets parked and he knows he's not going to body through the defense so he just takes wacky shots from 45' even when opportunities seem 2 touches away
more like 25 yds but whose counting ;)

However, if he puts just one or two on goal and makes the keeper make a save or two- Keeper starts yelling at his defenders to close down the space on him- thus opening up the defense. So it plays a role- but you MUST make the keeper work or they will simply allow you to continue wasteful shots.

more like 25 yds but whose counting ;)

However, if he puts just one or two on goal and makes the keeper make a save or two- Keeper starts yelling at his defenders to close down the space on him- thus opening up the defense. So it plays a role- but you MUST make the keeper work or they will simply allow you to continue wasteful shots.
yes they keeper can possible strain his neck watching the ball whizz 15 feet over the net :p

i mean, yeah, i get his skills and import, but he's also like the offensive equivalent of McKennie - luckily weston did not have his customary 1 or 2 defensive brain farts - and on balance both are very important, it's just those occasional moments that get me irked

Arriola was relentless as usual,

We watch a lot of DC United games and Arriola's work rate is 2nd to none. Not the most skilled player on the pitch but he gives all out effort all the time.

I missed this game but will tune into the others....Cheers

what's with you answering your own questions?
yeah, seemingly if a country does not have a strong domestic league, they're not really going to be able to swing VAR
i would suggest VAR be part of TV rights contracts - how hard would it be for ESPN or Fox to provide the equipment for VAR?

So i watched a bit of the El Salvador/Panama match-( in El Salvador ) That place reminded me of Pan Am stadium after 2 full 90 matches and a downpour. It was abysmal playing field. So i imagine some of these stadiums in Concacaf simply dont have the infrastructure to handle VAR

So i watched a bit of the El Salvador/Panama match-( in El Salvador ) That place reminded me of Pan Am stadium after 2 full 90 matches and a downpour. It was abysmal playing field. So i imagine some of these stadiums in Concacaf simply dont have the infrastructure to handle VAR
yeah, i realized as i was typing it than i'm clearly not sure what actual infrastructure VAR requires- but it can't be tthhhaattt far from what regular broadcast cameras need, can it?

Looking ahead to Sunday. Not seeing this game being telecast on conventional channels, so, prepare in advance to find a bootleg stream.

it's funny (not funny) listening to my favorite soccer podcast and they recently had a ***** session about how much better the soccer coverage is in the States vs europe - we can fairly easily get matches from the top 3-4 leagues and europe has to jump through hoops just to see 1 league
and yet here we are struggling to watch the matches of our national team trying to qualify
DUMB

yeah, i realized as i was typing it than i'm clearly not sure what actual infrastructure VAR requires- but it can't be tthhhaattt far from what regular broadcast cameras need, can it?

well id have to say seeing that stadium last night, that im sure massive retrofitting/updating would need to be done. Having wires run up the stadium to feed the CCTV i dont think is a good idea.

That field was a disaster-

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom