USMNT - The Berhalter Era (4 Viewers)

You mean like his baseball seasons now. It’s just crazy how some parents act at these games sometimes.

well he’s been playing FPPS but he wants a more competitive league now. His coach thinks he could handle it too

Don't be like those parents... :)

Basically, for an 8 year old, it's fairly simple. Just follow their lead on how much they want to get involved. At this point you're just nurturing their love of the game, of sport, and competition (but in a healthy way).

What to look for in a coach - they should be able to engage with that age group in an appropriate way. They also should be focused on just making the game fun. Developmentally, kids that age should be working on ball control skills. How to dribble, control the ball, etc... You want them to be very confident and competent on the ball. Don't worry about making them pass at this point (if they want to that's great, but don't be one of those people on the sideline yelling for 8 year olds to pass as soon as they get the ball). Their field presence will grow as they mature, and if they develop good ball skills now, they'll be able to make better passes and decisions later.

Oh, and be careful of the coaches who yell instructions from the sidelines. The game is the best teacher, you want them to learn from their mistakes and think on their own, not wait for the coach to tell them what to do all the time.

Come on Clint that camo blazer is ridiculous

Clint will always be one of my favorites, dude is a straight up character....

That just means it’s a great rivalry!

I’m fine with Mexico soccer, I don’t think they did anything over the line, it was expected to get chippy down the stretch. This game should feel like that.

But the fans clocking players in the head with bottles is just disgusting.

I had a problem with the ref, he was allowing dangerous play all over the field, TBH, the Mexican team should have been down 2 men (the kicking our goalie in the stomach well after he secured the ball, and the cleats up tackle that missed when the Mex player was on a yellow, gave him “a good talking too”....that ref sucked, it could have turned into an all out brawl....

One of the guest analysts on SFC this morning that was really interesting. He said US fans shouldn’t get too involved in critiquing the late-game sloppy play in the back or other lapses along gjr. He said we have to remember the time and place of this game - early June after the players have just come off of a compacted (Covid) club schedule, many of them playing well into mid and even late May. Very limited practice time and still integrating new faces.

He said the far more important thing is the result. The resolve. The ability to counter-punch in the first half. Counter-punch in the second half. The belief that they could win never faltered and this kind of experience pays big dividends for a young team proceeding toward WC qualifying.

I totally agree with this, and I think we have to be patient, they still have a whole lot to work out, and I do think we are 2 defenders away from having a complete team that could compete with the best national teams. But the spirit, the youth, the passion, the tenacity....if you are a US soccer fan, last night was a great moment....

I’m new to soccer and only getting into it because the son plays and he’s a big fan of Messi. He’s going to a camp this summer but any of tips besides just supporting him?

Support him and be positive. Sometimes kids let u know if they are really serious and committed...my older son, after practice would practice juggling the ball and foot moves for hours....and if he is not that serious about it then it should just be fun....

Clint will always be one of my favorites, dude is a straight up character....

I had a problem with the ref, he was allowing dangerous play all over the field, TBH, the Mexican team should have been down 2 men (the kicking our goalie in the stomach well after he secured the ball, and the cleats up tackle that missed when the Mex player was on a yellow, gave him “a good talking too”....that ref sucked, it could have turned into an all out brawl....

I totally agree with this, and I think we have to be patient, they still have a whole lot to work out, and I do think we are 2 defenders away from having a complete team that could compete with the best national teams. But the spirit, the youth, the passion, the tenacity....if you are a US soccer fan, last night was a great moment....

Support him and be positive. Sometimes kids let u know if they are really serious and committed...my older son, after practice would practice juggling the ball and foot moves for hours....and if he is not that serious about it then it should just be fun....

it was same player- Herrera lol

And he ( or was it Guardado ) grabbed McKennie by the neck ( again - they did few years back too )

Apparently they have some odd affinity with choking ;) - and i find it REALLY odd, maybe even coincidental, that their kit color was.....

black and red. :hihi:

we were awarded a PK - red card was for Tata interfering /touching the ref as he viewed VAR.
I thought the PK was for the foul on Pulisic inside the box. The red on Tata meant he had to leave the field, and an assistant took over managing.

Oh, and be careful of the coaches who yell instructions from the sidelines. The game is the best teacher, you want them to learn from their mistakes and think on their own, not wait for the coach to tell them what to do all the time.

Or the parents. "Ruunnnnnnnnnnn!!!" "Don't let him beat you!!!!" "Aw c'mon ref!" I liked the parents who would throw their hands up and heads back in disgust because the ball appeared to come to a player and they didn't do anything with it. Um, you don't have the greatest angle from the sideline; maybe the ball was 10' away from the player.

I thought the PK was for the foul on Pulisic inside the box. The red on Tata meant he had to leave the field, and an assistant took over managing.

no the red was for Tata - he did leave field and asst took over for final minutes

it was same player- Herrera lol

And he ( or was it Guardado ) grabbed McKennie by the neck ( again - they did few years back too )

Apparently they have some odd affinity with choking ;) - and i find it REALLY odd, maybe even coincidental, that their kit color was.....

black and red. :hihi:

Ah, didn’t realize that...makes it even worse, seriously I don’t want to see that ref do another game. It just had the feeling that things could go very bad, very fast....and the ref, at least IMO, was doing absolutely nothing to stop it, in fact, he seemed to be feeding it....

Or the parents. "Ruunnnnnnnnnnn!!!" "Don't let him beat you!!!!" "Aw c'mon ref!" I liked the parents who would throw their hands up and heads back in disgust because the ball appeared to come to a player and they didn't do anything with it. Um, you don't have the greatest angle from the sideline; maybe the ball was 10' away from the player.

My older son played travel soccer at a very high level from ages 12-18, mostly with the same club. I managed his team for a few years and a few of the things we did was to try and talk to the parents of kids trying out to get a sense of, well, if they were crazy or not.

We also had a number of parents that acted as ”parent police” and would intervene if one of our parents was “mis-behaving”....Granted we were very lucky, we mostly had a good core of parents but I don’t think it hurt that some felt more part of the actual team because of their role....for us at least, it worked extraordinarily well....we did turn down a number of very talented players because their folks were nuts....Ah, youth soccer, I miss it so.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom