USMNT - The Berhalter Era (3 Viewers)

We could say the timing is convenient for GGG, but it’s also the first time away from Qatar that folks could get information about what went on there.

From what I was reading, Reyna was dogging it in the pre-tourney friendly they had over there and in training after finding out he wouldn’t start against Wales. He’s young, but he has to learn how to deal with that kind of situation better.

There are more things starting to "come to light"...

Adams and Gio had to be separated
Ream was handpicked to babysit Gio (and manage his fragile ego .. my interpretation).

Gio reminds me of the guy who has been blessed with mad talent, but if not "involved" in game, he checks out. And I thought early on that Berhalters strategy would call for him to defend heavily. And if he isn't involved, he sure isn't going to go all out to defend. Leaving us unbalanced.

All happening DURING WC. What a shame for him and he should be embarrassed. I'm a bit saddened by this news and hope he grows up for 2026 or he may very well make himself disposable. Ahh man. I hope he gets the proper guidance.

There are more things starting to "come to light"...

Adams and Gio had to be separated
Ream was handpicked to babysit Gio (and manage his fragile ego .. my interpretation).

Gio reminds me of the guy who has been blessed with mad talent, but if not "involved" in game, he checks out. And I thought early on that Berhalters strategy would call for him to defend heavily. And if he isn't involved, he sure isn't going to go all out to defend. Leaving us unbalanced.

All happening DURING WC. What a shame for him and he should be embarrassed. I'm a bit saddened by this news and hope he grows up for 2026 or he may very well make himself disposable. Ahh man. I hope he gets the proper guidance.
I think the rumors are flying out fast and furious- we haven’t even heard Gio’s side (which, unfortunately, will probably come from his dad and Wynalda, so..,grain of salt)

But there’s already starting to be some brakes being pumped

I think the rumors are flying out fast and furious- we haven’t even heard Gio’s side (which, unfortunately, will probably come from his dad and Wynalda, so..,grain of salt)

But there’s already starting to be some brakes being pumped

Maybe so, but i think there is enough smoke to conclude that his attitude is fragile and requires maintenance...which is all part of the process for a 19 year old heralded as the next best thing. Unfortunate that this had to play out DURING a WC run that ultimately detracted from the team and experience. It happens. You hope it doesnt happen, especially with a kid that comes from stock like he does, and i have to wonder where dad was in all of this, but its also quite possible that dad Reyna purposefully excluded himself and simply allowed kid Reyna to " take his lumps" as a teaching moment. ( fwiw- thats exactly how i would have played it- its his life, ill give advice, but at the end of the day, his decisions are his to make - and the consequences/benefits that come from them )

What is clear is he has some maturation to go thru still. I suspect this whole episode will go one of two ways...he either learns and grows from this or stays steadfast in his ways. Guess we will see over the next few years which path he chose.

Maybe so, but i think there is enough smoke to conclude that his attitude is fragile and requires maintenance...which is all part of the process for a 19 year old heralded as the next best thing. Unfortunate that this had to play out DURING a WC run that ultimately detracted from the team and experience. It happens. You hope it doesnt happen, especially with a kid that comes from stock like he does, and i have to wonder where dad was in all of this, but its also quite possible that dad Reyna purposefully excluded himself and simply allowed kid Reyna to " take his lumps" as a teaching moment. ( fwiw- thats exactly how i would have played it- its his life, ill give advice, but at the end of the day, his decisions are his to make - and the consequences/benefits that come from them )

What is clear is he has some maturation to go thru still. I suspect this whole episode will go one of two ways...he either learns and grows from this or stays steadfast in his ways. Guess we will see over the next few years which path he chose.
We’ve head some behind the scenes stuff for CP/Chelsea, Weston/Juve, LOTS of whisperings about Brooks - but I hadn’t heard anything about Gio in Germany
If those stories were out there, I’d have to think they’d get rt.ed now

We’ve head some behind the scenes stuff for CP/Chelsea, Weston/Juve, LOTS of whisperings about Brooks - but I hadn’t heard anything about Gio in Germany
If those stories were out there, I’d have to think they’d get rt.ed now

He isnt heralded as the greatest player on BvD...thats Jude Bellinghams spot.

So there he employs some humility. If Jude leaves, which is becoming almost a certainty, that will leave Gio on an island. Thats when things would start to "come out".

I dont follow Bundesliga simply because its Bayern and everyone else. lol.

Reyna’s statement on things

Attachments

• CF63E7FD-4A7F-4014-9DD6-956FE8A4861D.jpeg
    CF63E7FD-4A7F-4014-9DD6-956FE8A4861D.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 9
Reyna’s statement on things

Confirmation that his lack of effort led to his reduced time.

Confirmation that he acknowledges his short-comings ( allowing emotions to dictate behavior ) and vows to work on them.

good enough for me. Make it happen Gio and you will find a starring role on this squad.

Hold on Mr Pessimism- Gio just said ‘before WC’
We don’t know when before
So if greggg told him he would be limited and THEN Gio started pouting, that seems different

All reports to this point state the lack of effort in training and the final "tune up" match just days prior.

And regardless of those reports, are you saying that if he was told upon his arrival on 11/12 that he was going to see a reduced role, that seems like a legitimate response ? to half arse it ? Knowing full well injuries happen and tactics change from game to game?

I dont care if it was day before Wales or 1 week before Wales...the fact remains his reactions caused a stir within the camp leading into WC play.

Berhalter also probably held on to his grudge a bit longer than he should have, but the point is had he accepted his role with dignity and professionalism, this wouldnt be an issue today.

He didnt. And i get it...checking emotions is a really hard thing to do. Some are better than others at it. But to be a professional, its a requirement or you will only get to a certain point and development is impeded.

I trust that he will get to that point.

Kind of a s show honestly.

Gio takes his share of the blame, but he is throwing shade at Berhalter for not keeping things in house. Trust issues, a 19-20 year old who knows he has the talent to be in the 11, spending too much time scouring the player pool, and a full on tactical arse whooping by Van Gaal - you have to wonder if its best for everyone to get a fresh approach to the next 3.5 years.

But Gio has to grow up pretty quick, regardless of who the coach will be. This wasnt the gold cup or a couple of friendlies. This was the WC. Put your head down, work your butt off and if your number gets called make a statement.

Kind of a s show honestly.

Gio takes his share of the blame, but he is throwing shade at Berhalter for not keeping things in house. Trust issues, a 19-20 year old who knows he has the talent to be in the 11, spending too much time scouring the player pool, and a full on tactical arse whooping by Van Gaal - you have to wonder if its best for everyone to get a fresh approach to the next 3.5 years.

But Gio has to grow up pretty quick, regardless of who the coach will be. This wasnt the gold cup or a couple of friendlies. This was the WC. Put your head down, work your butt off and if your number gets called make a statement.

yep at this point i have to imagine there was some consternation within the USMNT heading into the games. AS much as they probably tried to ignore the noise, it was there.

I was pretty solidly on the Team to Bring Berhalter Back immediately after being ousted from the tournament because his game plans were pretty spot on and he seemed to get the defense to play well above their level but this completely changes that. He's got to go. Speaking openly about this after it had been resolved....throwing Gio under the bus to help his bid to be brought back....nah.....the team can't heal from that. He's got to go.

I was pretty solidly on the Team to Bring Berhalter Back immediately after being ousted from the tournament because his game plans were pretty spot on and he seemed to get the defense to play well above their level but this completely changes that. He's got to go. Speaking openly about this after it had been resolved....throwing Gio under the bus to help his bid to be brought back....nah.....the team can't heal from that. He's got to go.

Agreed, yesterday afternoon the news just kept rolling in, and I dont see a scenario where Berhalter is back.

Im not defending Gio's actions. He has to grow up. But at the same time, at worst he is your 2nd most talented player. Pulisic just has the benefit of 4 years more experience. But you tell a guy who knows he belongs in the 11, who knows he is the most talented guy in the group that his role is going to be limited? Its not the same as telling that to Roldan or Long. I can see how Reyna as a competitor would be thrown off by that.

Then it comes out that guys are questioning his leadership, if he is tactically sound enough (he isnt). He has alienated guys in the pool like John Brooks. He doesnt like any type of confrontation. Then spilling this about Gio to a group he thought was off the record? Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. He knew someone was going to leak that. He either wanted out, or knew he was on his way out.

He has to go at this point though. All that stuff coming out, then you could find yourself choosing between your most talented player and a coach who was put over the knee by Van Gaal and doesnt have the trust of his team? Easy choice.

Agreed, yesterday afternoon the news just kept rolling in, and I dont see a scenario where Berhalter is back.

Im not defending Gio's actions. He has to grow up. But at the same time, at worst he is your 2nd most talented player. Pulisic just has the benefit of 4 years more experience. But you tell a guy who knows he belongs in the 11, who knows he is the most talented guy in the group that his role is going to be limited? Its not the same as telling that to Roldan or Long. I can see how Reyna as a competitor would be thrown off by that.

Then it comes out that guys are questioning his leadership, if he is tactically sound enough (he isnt). He has alienated guys in the pool like John Brooks. He doesnt like any type of confrontation. Then spilling this about Gio to a group he thought was off the record? Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. He knew someone was going to leak that. He either wanted out, or knew he was on his way out.

He has to go at this point though. All that stuff coming out, then you could find yourself choosing between your most talented player and a coach who was put over the knee by Van Gaal and doesnt have the trust of his team? Easy choice.

said it 2 pages back- Berhalter thinks he won the battle, but Gio will win the war.

Its just asinine to think he thought this was the proper route to take. On the heels of reports that he is looking to coach in Europe. He just made himself untouchable.

I just dont understand how Berhalter ALLOWED this to rise to the level it did. It could very well be his ego is just as large, and HE needed to massage it a bit after things began to spiral ( "Cant be me" type shirt )

Ive been watching Good Rivals on Amazon. The ONE theme that kept cropping up when interviewing Chicharito or Marquez was "humble" - US early on was never "humble" about soccer. They expected results, and when they didnt come, there was no "humbleness" and without that, you simply cannot grow/evolve in the sport. They mention the current crop of players have that trait and its why you see the growth.

Gregg doesnt seem to have that trait as a coach in certain aspects ( primarily dealing with players ). Almost as if its his "right" to act in the manner he does.

Maybe this whole episode will provide him with it. For his next gig.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom