USMNT - The Berhalter Era (5 Viewers)

So we're thinking maybe 3G just pushed the red eject button by telling a tale in a supposedly "off the record" setting? I can see that.

After all of the build up of finding the "right" players, last minute qualifying for the tournament and then having to deal with that situation while over there in the midst of the tournament, finding a way to be done with the situation wouldn't be the last thought I'd have, especially if I think my stock is as high as it's ever going to be and want to do something else.

Agreed, yesterday afternoon the news just kept rolling in, and I dont see a scenario where Berhalter is back.

Im not defending Gio's actions. He has to grow up. But at the same time, at worst he is your 2nd most talented player. Pulisic just has the benefit of 4 years more experience. But you tell a guy who knows he belongs in the 11, who knows he is the most talented guy in the group that his role is going to be limited? Its not the same as telling that to Roldan or Long. I can see how Reyna as a competitor would be thrown off by that.

Then it comes out that guys are questioning his leadership, if he is tactically sound enough (he isnt). He has alienated guys in the pool like John Brooks. He doesnt like any type of confrontation. Then spilling this about Gio to a group he thought was off the record? Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. He knew someone was going to leak that. He either wanted out, or knew he was on his way out.

He has to go at this point though. All that stuff coming out, then you could find yourself choosing between your most talented player and a coach who was put over the knee by Van Gaal and doesnt have the trust of his team? Easy choice.
at the end of the day it doesn't matter if he did or didn't think this story would get leaked - he loses both ways
the irony of it being at a leadership conference is a bit too much (like the studio would send it back to the writers' room for being too on the nose)

i'll admit that as a college then HS teacher I almost always side with the youth vs the teacher, parent, coach - not sure why as mentor we tend to forget what a volatile time this is for kids - we might remember a few emotional ups and downs, but we forget that developing is near daily/weekly physical, emotional upheaval
mentoring/coaching is a constant juggle of managing individual variance and group dynamic
like, i think that's the ostensible difference between SP and Dennis Allen - SP knew that managing individuals is part and parcel with managing the group
Willie Green seems to understand that very well
greggg seems over focused on the group - and that certainly won't get better with our stars growing more noted on higher profile teams

Agreed, yesterday afternoon the news just kept rolling in, and I dont see a scenario where Berhalter is back.

Im not defending Gio's actions. He has to grow up. But at the same time, at worst he is your 2nd most talented player. Pulisic just has the benefit of 4 years more experience. But you tell a guy who knows he belongs in the 11, who knows he is the most talented guy in the group that his role is going to be limited? Its not the same as telling that to Roldan or Long. I can see how Reyna as a competitor would be thrown off by that.

Then it comes out that guys are questioning his leadership, if he is tactically sound enough (he isnt). He has alienated guys in the pool like John Brooks. He doesnt like any type of confrontation. Then spilling this about Gio to a group he thought was off the record? Thats the dumbest thing Ive ever heard. He knew someone was going to leak that. He either wanted out, or knew he was on his way out.

He has to go at this point though. All that stuff coming out, then you could find yourself choosing between your most talented player and a coach who was put over the knee by Van Gaal and doesnt have the trust of his team? Easy choice.

Spot on....the good coaches know who the players are....I want Berhalter gone....

i was hoping to hear from them
it's what i wanted to hear, but still taken with a grain of salt

Welp all I needed to hear. Now I'm left wondering if it was personal or simply Gregg being an arse hat.

Ahhh who cares, he done. Good luck finding a job outside the NASL

Welp all I needed to hear. Now I'm left wondering if it was personal or simply Gregg being an arse hat.

Ahhh who cares, he done. Good luck finding a job outside the NASL
this is my head canon - he told Gio what levels he needed to hit in his recovery
Gio thought he did, greggg wasn't convinced
greggg thought it best to limit minutes*, gio thought he went back on his word and became very salty about it

(why greggg would does this as a proclamation before the WC and not on a match by match basis is the deeper question)

this is my head canon - he told Gio what levels he needed to hit in his recovery
Gio thought he did, greggg wasn't convinced
greggg thought it best to limit minutes*, gio thought he went back on his word and became very salty about it

(why greggg would does this as a proclamation before the WC and not on a match by match basis is the deeper question)

The recovery part just doesnt sit well with me because Gios last match with BvD was 11/12- he played full first 45.

prior to that match he was around 60 up to 82 min - so i cant think that the reasoning was due to fitness/slow roll return from injury.

to paraphrase Paul Allen....This aint Detriot!!! This is the World Cup!!!

The recovery part just doesnt sit well with me because Gios last match with BvD was 11/12- he played full first 45.

prior to that match he was around 60 up to 82 min - so i cant think that the reasoning was due to fitness/slow roll return from injury.

to paraphrase Paul Allen....This aint Detriot!!! This is the World Cup!!!
The ground is rapidly crumbling underneath one of the ‘both sides’

It sounds like you have a 19 year old, who was being told a massive amount of conflicting information, then ultimately told he was going to play a limited role because he didnt meet some recovery standards....when he was playing an equal amount of minutes, maybe more in the month leading up to the WC, in the top tier in Germany than Pulisic was in England.

I just get the feeling he wasnt prepared to be jerked around like that as a dang kid. Feels like "i did everything he asked, and it still wasnt enough". I think he will use this as motivation. I think it may light a fire in him that gets him to the next level. But that aint happening with Berhalter in charge. Theyve got to move on to who's next pretty quickly. Berhalter has overall not made himself a peoples champion in the locker room. He did a good job of weeding out the player pool (and alienating a lot of it along the way). Let someone else more tactically sound take the reigns from here.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have a 19 year old, who was being told a massive amount of conflicting information, then ultimately told he was going to play a limited role because he didnt meet some recovery standards....when he was playing an equal amount of minutes, maybe more in the month leading up to the WC, in the top tier in Germany than Pulisic was in England.

I just get the feeling he wasnt prepared to be jerked around like that as a dang kid. Feels like "i did everything he asked, and it still wasnt enough". I think he will use this as motivation. I think it may light a fire in him that gets him to the next level. But that aint happening with Berhalter in charge. Theyve got to move on to who's next pretty quickly. Berhalter has overall not made himself a peoples champion in the locker room. He did a good job of weeding out the player pool (and alienating a lot of it along the way). Let someone else more tactically sound take the reigns from here.

I get the same feeling....I want a coach who knows who his best players are....and then actually plays them....Berhalter ain't it....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom