USMNT - The Berhalter Era (2 Viewers)

Biggest question is what was seen as a gain/good for her son by going on the offensive? How does this improve his reputation or standing?
From here pov she’s going on defense
Both sides had gotten to detente in Qatar
Then greggg comes back and kicks the hornets nest (in essence negating when he said he accepted Gio’s apology)

Seemingly if greggg doesn’t say anything, mom doesn’t either

From here pov she’s going on defense
Both sides had gotten to detente in Qatar
Then greggg comes back and kicks the hornets nest (in essence negating when he said he accepted Gio’s apology)

Seemingly if greggg doesn’t say anything, mom doesn’t either
Yeah, but how does going behind the scenes with damaging information defend her son? Other than possibly trying to get Berhalter fired. And he was possibly not coming back in the first place. IDK, misplaced protectiveness it seems like while also torching multiple decades long friendships.

Yeah, but how does going behind the scenes with damaging information defend her son? Other than possibly trying to get Berhalter fired. And he was possibly not coming back in the first place. IDK, misplaced protectiveness it seems like while also torching multiple decades long friendships.

fwiw, she said she only said it in passing to Ernie Stewart as a way of asking why Triple G didn't treat her son the way he was treated. It was Ernie who passed it on to the rest of the federation who opened up the inquest.

Not advocating (more like devils advocating)

Her point seems to be ‘Gio acted up, you called him out, Gio apologized and everything was chill’
Then greggg went and blabbed at the leadership conference
That was what prompted her response- that greggg kept poking at it

Danielle Reyna said in a statement on Wednesday: "I thought it was especially unfair that Gio, who had apologized for acting immaturely about his playing time, was still being dragged through the mud when Gregg had asked for and received forgiveness for doing something so much worse at the same age."

None of this means the Reynas are right, but it reemphasizes how completely stupid greggg was blabbing about this

so this leadership conference - I just read a piece on ESPN about.

it was a private affair. Meaning that what was talked about there was meant to be private.

So if I had to imagine, as a speaker/presenter, at a leadership conference, yes I think what just transpired at the WC a month prior was absolutely fair game to discuss. How it was handled, all of it. Now, a better part of discretion would have been to go easy, and we don't exactly know what all was said. But somehow word got back to Danielle Reyna and she had a Will Smith moment of "keep my sons name out yo mouf".

At that very moment she had a decision to make. Either let it die out peacefully ( since it was a private event ) or slap him. She chose the latter.

I want to be clear too- I don't give 2 sheets about Gregg or Reynas here. Its US Soccer I care for.

Now we have an even larger problem. In the midst of a coaching search, we now have what is perceived as a mom/dad of star player who has a BACK CHANNEL to 2 TOP persons in US Soccer, ultimately responsible for the employment of said coach. WHO is going to see this and think "yeah this is ok"? Any decision about Gio could be met with a phone call or other correspondence bypassing coach and going directly to the powers of US Soccer??? cmon man. This is absolutely terrible for US Soccer in the short term. We have PARENTS of a player, with connections to top US SOCCER OFFICIALS, publicly telling us "yeah we called em" ....its a terrible look for them and US soccer in my opinion.

And its going to be a hurdle to cross when hiring next coach.

Very very poor judgement by Danielle Reyna all for the sake of what ? clearing her sons name off social media??? oof. Hope he doesn't get sour at BvD or she will have to dedicate the rest of her days to that maelstrom.

fwiw, she said she only said it in passing to Ernie Stewart as a way of asking why Triple G didn't treat her son the way he was treated. It was Ernie who passed it on to the rest of the federation who opened up the inques
In passing or not, you can’t expect mentioning something to someone’s superior to not have ramifications. In fact, I’d wager that the intent was specifically to cause Gregg problems.

In passing or not, you can’t expect mentioning something to someone’s superior to not have ramifications. In fact, I’d wager that the intent was specifically to cause Gregg problems.
I agree, but you also have to understand the dynamics of the relationship. In her mind, Earnie, Claudio, Triple G, and all of their spouses are all close friends. She wasn't having the conversation with a superior in her mind....I'm guessing.

I agree, but you also have to understand the dynamics of the relationship. In her mind, Earnie, Claudio, Triple G, and all of their spouses are all close friends. She wasn't having the conversation with a superior in her mind....I'm guessing.
Maybe so. I can see where it would be a sort of throw away conversation between friends who (I assume) all knew the situation. Guessing Stewart just felt obligated to have it looked into further.

Here’s where I am - and admittedly it’s not an unbiased position
This is close enough to a he said/she said dynamic to start weighing real world scenarios
Replacing greggg with equal or better value
The same is not true for Gio

And I know people are enjoying the men of soccer dad/mom stuff, but intl clubs have to deal with personnel issues/outside pressure all of the time
USMNT is going to have to manage this stuff as the players get higher and higher profiles

Here’s where I am - and admittedly it’s not an unbiased position
This is close enough to a he said/she said dynamic to start weighing real world scenarios
Replacing greggg with equal or better value
The same is not true for Gio

And I know people are enjoying the men of soccer dad/mom stuff, but intl clubs have to deal with personnel issues/outside pressure all of the time
USMNT is going to have to manage this stuff as the players get higher and higher profiles
agreed.

International clubs don't appoint prior players who have histories with current player families. And if they do, they don't get involved.

US Soccer, in current form, is a small segment of sports population. So this whole episode of Reyna calling his "friends" just comes off wrong.

At the end of the day, this isn't cool in any sense. Especially when you are actively looking to replace the head coach.

more and more seems to be leaking out from ESPN FC.

still wonder why Gio acted how he did when told of his minimal involvement?

This type of sheet happens at the youth level all the way up. unreal.

Because the players know who the players are....As a former youth travel manager/coach I would almost always side with the coach over crazy parents....but this situation is different....if he had done something that egregious then kick him off or suspend him from the team....but minimizing his role when he is clearly one of the best (and youngest) players on the squad has something is fishy in Denmark written all over it.....Berhalter has to go.....IMO....we need to do better finding a coach for the USMNT....

Because the players know who the players are....As a former youth travel manager/coach I would almost always side with the coach over crazy parents....but this situation is different....if he had done something that egregious then kick him off or suspend him from the team....but minimizing his role when he is clearly one of the best (and youngest) players on the squad has something is fishy in Denmark written all over it.....Berhalter has to go.....IMO....we need to do better finding a coach for the USMNT....

none of the above is a license for either Reyna to contact US Soccer executives

And in doing so, they laid bare the fact that if THEY dont care for the current managers decision on Gio, they have no problem going above/around to get satisfaction

thats not cool.

And in doing so, they laid bare the fact that if THEY dont care for the current managers decision on Gio, they have no problem going above/around to get satisfaction

thats not cool.

Right. I dont think anyone, from USSF brass to Berhalter To mama and papa Reyna to Gio handled this properly. You have 4 factions who all handled this flat out wrong. You cant look at this and say, this person or that person was right. It was a s show from the opening bell of this drama.

But the 2 biggest problems both happened after the WC. Berhalter not drawing on the other 3 decades of potential leadership situations and going straight to recency with Gio (and believing it would be private) and Mama Reyna going scorched earth - which in a series of mistakes by everyone invovled, was the real coup de grace of the whole thing.

But my wife is watching me watch youtube videos of all this drama. Usually not interested. She asks me to give her the general idea, which took me forever. I rambled on for 15 minutes just doing a rough outline of all of this.

Her question after all of that was, why did the coach tell one of his best players he wasnt going to play much in the biggest event in soccer? All I could do was throw my hands up. I have no idea.

And that is still my biggest question that has no answer. Absolutely no answer. Everything else from there is reactionary. Gio didnt, from the accounts Ive read, sandbag training until after being told that.

thats not cool.

I totally agree....but Berhalter's actions weren't cool either....I want the best players on the pitch....Berhalter doesn't even know how to do that....

I think if you realize the entire situation Berhalter is as much at fault as Reyna's parents....Neither Reyna nor Reyna's parents are going to have any sway with the next coach so if they continue with this behavior he will be off the team anyways (I don't think they will, this seems to be personal)....but any soccer coach in his right mind doesn't bench one of the most talented young players on the team.....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom