utterly whelmed by A-rod's 'retirement' (1 Viewer)

I don't follow baseball but I have heard a lot of people talking about what happened with the Yankees, but it doesn't make sense to me. What happened again? Was he cut? Why?

They have moved on to a youth movement and restocking their farm system is the short answer.

It's perfect for what he is saying. He isn't overwhelmed and he isn't underwhelmed. He's just whelmed. LOLOL. Basically, he is just apathetic about all things A-Rod Retirement related.

^this. really don't think it's that difficult

Leonard Cohen has a great line in "Death of a Ladies Man":
So the great affair is over but whoever would have guessed
it would leave us all so vacant and so deeply unimpressed

i've always like that dichotomy - like being profoundly meh

personally, i liked a-rod. his personality, not so much. as a player, talent like his does not come often. one of the best shortstops of this past era and it wasn't even the position he played the last 12 years. he had a little bit of peytonitis during the post season at times, but like peyton, dynamic in the regular season. i would not be surprised to see a team snatch him for next season, if anything for publicity, especially if its a team rebuilding without a shot next year. he wants those 4 homeruns.

my hatred for the yankees will carry on!

He wants those four homeruns and somebody would be happy to have him come and hit them for their club. Will probably sell a few game tickets.

I share the sentiment that he does nothing for me - it isn't negative but there's just nothing there. But in the context of his baseball resume and the kind of talent he had coming up, I think it ultimately bears somewhat negatively on his personality and career that he is not more well thought-of . . . but that said, that's his prerogative. I think people often have unfair expectations on sports icons. In the end, it's really just their job. They're just people.

I don't follow baseball but I have heard a lot of people talking about what happened with the Yankees, but it doesn't make sense to me. What happened again? Was he cut? Why?

He was under contract till end of 2017. He has been hitting 200 this season and was told that he was not going to get any more at bats this season or next. As was written earlier - the Yankees are moving young and A-Rod ain't cutting it at all. The Yankees did not want any more bad blood between them and A-Rod so they offered him a job as an advisor if he would retire from the Yankees.

A-Rod still gets his contact money for this year and next.

Didn't even know he wasn't already retired.

Well actually that doesn't quite make sense. I mean if you take a look at the meaning of English words and all.

So utterly means like totally and absolutely, then whelmed means that you're engulfed or submerged in something. Put the two together and then you have the exact opposite of what the OP explained. "Underwhelmed" is what he meant.
I saw this and immediately remembered this thread convo.

We’ve now seen the first showcase of next-gen gameplay—at least some of it—from Microsoft and the Xbox Series X, and “whelmed” seems to be the word of the day. It’s all over social media at the moment, and it illustrates the general reaction to Microsoft’s livestream. It was fine, it had some good stuff, it wasn’t underwhelming, it wasn’t overwhelming. It was whelming.

I've watched a couple of his shows. Interesting. He seems like a sharp guy who understands business pretty well. Seems like he's doing alright for himself.

Yeah, I'm pretty ambivalent.

Its funny, going by his accomplishments (amomg them 3 MVPs, led the league in homers 5 times) and career bWAR of 117 which is 16th all-time just ahead of Lou Gehrig, it should feel a bit different, but it doesn't.

Maybe if he had been clean throughout his career, and a better ambassador to the game, it would probably view him a bit differently.

The other problem is he faded away, being essentially cut by the Yanks, and ddin't get the send off of players like Jeter, Rivera, Ortiz, Ripken, etc.

Edit: Hadn't realized he hadn't played since 2016, and is 44. I think thats the major issue. Might have been different had he retired in 2015/2016.

A bit like Bonds, but he was more despised because he was the centerpiece around the steroids investigation, whereas people don't put Rodriguez in the same boat, though probably not much difference between the two in that department.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom