Vaccaro - The SS who can cover (1 Viewer)

whodatdb

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Vaccaro - The SS that can cover

The NFL right now barely has any strong safeties that can actually lock down in man to man. Most are either in the box beasts or decent in zone. The way the NFL is now you need a guy who can lock down in man to man. He shut down Tavon Austin so I think that dismisses any speed concerns. You need a SS that can shut down the TE for you all game and especially on those crucial 3rd downs.

You guys complain about Harper not being that good in man but you get mad when when the Saints draft someone who can be a shutdown man safety! This type of SS is very rare and hard to find. In the box safeties and zone cover safeties are pretty common but man coverage safeties that can shut down a TE can help with fixing a defense immensely.

Kenny is a great player, the only reason his INT # is not that high is because he was used in man where you are rarely looking at the QB. On average, man coverage gets you way less picks than zone coverage. This kid is most likely our solution at stopping Tony, Greg Olsen and Dallas Clark. Ill take someone who can shut down TEs and elite slot WRs like Tavon anyday.

Kenny has top notch ball skills; he was recruited as a WR. It's just that you can't really expect that many picks when you have him in man coverage so much.

I expect him to be an All Pro and the best SS in the league in a few years. There are not many SSs like Vaccaro that can actually cover TEs in the NFL right now.

If Vaccarro is covering an NFL slot receiver, we've lost the play from the outset.

I'm hopeful that with his size and athleticism he can do a decent job on tight ends, at least coming out of the three point stance on the LOS. That's a huge and necessary upgrade over Harper. But lets not get silly here. He shouldn't and won't be covering Tavon Austin or Wes Welker or Percy Harvin.

If Vaccarro is covering an NFL slot receiver, we've lost the play from the outset.

I'm hopeful that with his size and athleticism he can do a decent job on tight ends, at least coming out of the three point stance on the LOS. That's a huge and necessary upgrade over Harper. But lets not get silly here. He shouldn't and won't be covering Tavon Austin or Wes Welker or Percy Harvin.
He already covered Austin and shut him down. Even though Austin had a good game, Kenny shut him down whenever they lined up.

He already covered Austin and shut him down. I think he had 1 catch that game and it wasn't on Kenny.

Well it was a bit more than that, like 1o catches, but you are correct, he did a good job on him.

Well it was a bit more than that, like 1o catches, but you are correct, he did a good job on him.
Yea, he had 10. I just checked but I remember them saying that most of the game Kenny was on him and he never really did much at all when he was.

He already covered Austin and shut him down. I think he had 1 catch that game and it wasn't on Kenny.

This is completely and totally untrue. As the waldman article illustrated and Sean Payton alluded to, Vacarro did a fine job on Austin in man coverage, but his overall numbers from that game were very solid. 10 catches, 102 yards, 1 touchdown.

I agree that he is a SS. We still need a FS capable of cover-1. I think expecting Vacarro to be a pro bowler is a bit homerish. I don't see him as the next great SS. I an just hoping that he makes our secondary stronger.

He is as versatile as Jenkins, this will cause problems for offenses that like to pre-snap read things. We could have a lot of movement pre-snap to confuse offenses and yet remain effective defensively. His versatility is what is exciting about the pick.

This is completely and totally untrue. As the waldman article illustrated and Sean Payton alluded to, Vacarro did a fine job on Austin in man coverage, but his overall numbers from that game were very solid. 10 catches, 102 yards, 1 touchdown.

Vaccaro did a great job on Austin when he was on him. Unfortunately, Vaccaro didn't shadow him throughout the game. WVU moved him around and found ways to get him the ball.

What was impressive to me was the fact that WVU saw how effective Vaccaro was on Austin that they had to Change their gameplan in the second half to avoid Vaccaro as much as possible. That says more about Vaccaros effect on Austin than His 10 receptions and etc.

I agree that he is a SS. We still need a FS capable of cover-1. I think expecting Vacarro to be a pro bowler is a bit homerish. I don't see him as the next great SS. I an just hoping that he makes our secondary stronger.
Tell me 3 SS in the NFL right now that can man up with TEs and slot WRs better than Kenny.

Maybe Troy but he is getting old.
Eric Berry was good his rookie year but took a step back last year.

All the other ones are SS who are decent in zone and don't man up with TEs or in the box players who are not good against TEs or slot WRs.

Having Jenkins/Vacarro as our Starting Safeties (if thats how it works out) gives us the flexibility to stay in base sets when teams go to nickel knowing that either one of them can drop down and cover the slot. Since we aren't taking a LB off to add another DB or removing a lineman to add another DB it should help when teams try to run out of their nickel sets and we are still in base. We don't have to remove a big guy/good tackler to get a smaller guy that can cover on the field.

To be fair I like the pick, but not because Vaccaro has the best ball skills. His pass defended (7 in 2012) stats don't scream shutdown. BUT he brings old school football to the table - As in: "let the guy catch the ball then knock the crap out of him" - wash rinse repeat. By the 4th quarter, the receivers are too distracted by the hit to catch the ball anyway. Plus, hes a special teams monster and he hasn't been injured since high school.

I'd compare him to Harper in his prime.- and thats a compliment because harper was real good about 4-5 years ago.

Having Jenkins/Vacarro as our Starting Safeties (if thats how it works out) gives us the flexibility to stay in base sets when teams go to nickel knowing that either one of them can drop down and cover the slot. Since we aren't taking a LB off to add another DB or removing a lineman to add another DB it should help when teams try to run out of their nickel sets and we are still in base. We don't have to remove a big guy/good tackler to get a smaller guy that can cover on the field.

He also allows the nickel DB to blitz more often on nickel packages.

Vacarro and Jenkins will be an excellent safety tandem. Very confident at this position. Like our corners too. Just need to keep working on that push rush and we should have a pretty solid D this season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom