Vacuums, any suggestions?? (1 Viewer)

Farb

Brave Sir Robbin
Reaction score
The wife informed me that we are getting a new vacuum. Does anyone have one they recommend or better yet, one they don't recommend.
I have decided that I don't mind spending the money for a good one (Dyson sp?) if it will last for a while. I don't want to drop 500 bucks on a unit that will last only for a year or two.

you should get one that sucks.:D

I've been pretty happy with our Tristar. Plenty of suction power and it came with a carpet "dry" shampoo head. A unit that does multiple things will make you happier in the long run. Something with an extension to vacuum the car, maybe do a little dry or semi-dry shampooing, little crevice tools for upholstery, etc.

The wife informed me that we are getting a new vacuum. Does anyone have one they recommend or better yet, one they don't recommend.
I have decided that I don't mind spending the money for a good one (Dyson sp?) if it will last for a while. I don't want to drop 500 bucks on a unit that will last only for a year or two.

We have a Dyson DC-07. My wife loves it. It's relatively quiet and does a great job. Her dad bought it for her, and he got it at Bed, Bath and Beyond, using one of their 20% off coupons.

My wife loves her Dyson Animal.
66611110022527-large-Dyson-Animal-DC07.jpg

I bought a Eureka for about $60 at Target and it works fine. I have a friend whose wife bought a Kirby and now he has a payment booklet that he uses to make monthly payments until all $2000 is paid off. I doubt his carpets are 33 times cleaner than mine.

I bought a Eureka for about $60 at Target and it works fine. I have a friend whose wife bought a Kirby and now he has a payment booklet that he uses to make monthly payments until all $2000 is paid off. I doubt his carpets are 33 times cleaner than mine.

I'm guessing his carpets are > 33% cleaner than your's. We bought a Eureka about 4 years ago and we "thought" our carpets were clean too. That is, until the Dyson showed how much it pwned the Eureka. It was unbelievable how much crud was still in our carpets after all these years of using the Eureka. She had to empty the canister several times during the 1st use of the Dyson; and she normally vacuumed 2-3 times a week, so we were amazed at how much crud was still there.

I'm guessing his carpets are > 33% cleaner than your's. We bought a Eureka about 4 years ago and we "thought" our carpets were clean too. That is, until the Dyson showed how much it pwned the Eureka. It was unbelievable how much crud was still in our carpets after all these years of using the Eureka. She had to empty the canister several times during the 1st use of the Dyson; and she normally vacuumed 2-3 times a week, so we were amazed at how much crud was still there.

See, you said 33% though, I said 33 times, that's 3300%. He paid over 3300% of what I paid.

If you have stairs you should consider an Oreck. They're lightweight and do a heckuva job cleaning carpets plus they have HEPA filters so you don't redeposit dust into the air. We will always replace our Oreck (our current Oreck is 8 years old) with another one.

Plus their Headquarters is in New Orleans.

http://www.oreck.com/oreck-xl-upright/xl_compare.cfm

Agreed about Orecks. They are a bit pricey but they last forever. And you're supporting a local business... well, a business that got it's start here.

From what I have read here and playing on the net, I think we are going this weekend to buy the Dyson. I think they have a warranty for 10 years and will send a replacement if it has to be sent off for repairs.

My only suggestion is that if you go with a bag, make sure that the bag type is one of the normal ones stocked in grocery stores, K-marts, etc.

I have a Eureka "The Boss" that uses RR type bags. Not available for purchase in St. Tammany. Freakin' K-mart sells the vacuum cleaner, but not the bags. Had to go on the internet to get bags.

I've heard really good things about Dyson.
That's on my list when I run out of internet bags.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom