Vanderbilt football will dress a female kicker tomorrow (1 Viewer)

OR, I can express my opinion on the forum about a forum post.

Not if it's with the intent to call out a poster's comments, which is essentially what you did. Calling out posters is not allowed under the TOS.

Anyway, if you have a problem with it, PM. Let's move on.

I get that. And if there weren't a history of misogyny and the like in sports (to include fandom) it wouldn't matter. But there is. Maybe we can move away from jokes about women's attractiveness which, while not meaning to, still demean them in the same way that we've moved away from light-hearted jokes about race which ultimately demean minorities.

How, exactly, does a comment about a person being attractive demean them?

I mean specifically, how?

I get that. And if there weren't a history of misogyny and the like in sports (to include fandom) it wouldn't matter. But there is. Maybe we can move away from jokes about women's attractiveness which, while not meaning to, still demean them in the same way that we've moved away from light-hearted jokes about race which ultimately demean minorities.
I agree.

Back in my college days we had a female kicker at Texas State. At first, nobody accepted her and there were rumors that the team mocked and bullied her. Our school was literally the laughing stock of college football. After a while though, she just became one of the boys because in the end, she was a damn good kicker.

Last edited:
I agree.

Back in my college days we had a female kicker at Texas Southern. At first, nobody excepted her and there were rumors that the team mocked and bullied her. Our school was literally the laughing stock of college football. After a while though, she just became one of the boys because in the end, she was a damn good kicker.
I think you meant that you went to Texas State. ;)

How, exactly, does a comment about a person being attractive demean them?

I mean specifically, how?
If I can wrest my Woke Crown back from the challenger, the idea is not that it’s demeaning but belittling- you’re not putting them down per se, but are limiting their value by having ’lookism’ as the primary tool to determine worth
- like how what a female politician wears is one of the first things judged/commented on, but that’s hardly ever the case for male politicians (outside of tan suits and mom jeans)

giphy.gif

If I can wrest my Woke Crown back from the challenger, the idea is not that it’s demeaning but belittling- you’re not putting them down per se, but are limiting their value by having ’lookism’ as the primary tool to determine worth
- like how what a female politician wears is one of the first things judged/commented on, but that’s hardly ever the case for male politicians (outside of tan suits and mom jeans)
Except that we have no body of work to judge her effectiveness as a kicker so nobody is choosing to value her looks over her abilities as a field goal kicker at this point

I guess I'm not seeing what was offensive to her about the joke. I don't see the demeaning or belittling you're speaking to. I mean, I'm not a female, but, I think if I were, I'd lol too. Maybe a female here can explain it, idk.

I do get the double standards and they do exist, but is this that? I'm not seeing it.

Looks don't define women, but does commenting on a woman's looks mean we are necessarily placing limitations on them? I wouldn't think so. I'm listening though.

Yeah, no. Noticing someone is attractive in no way belittles them nor does it mean you're judging or valuing them one way or the other. There are plenty of hot idiots both male and female and one does not excuse a lack of other qualities.

Sarah Palin is a clown and would be a clown even if she were attractive. Trump is a pile of human excrement and would be even if he looked like Robert Redford from the 80s or Brooke Shields.

Noticing someone is decent looking is not the same as judging them and wokeness needs to wake up if it thinks it is.

I guess I'm not seeing what was offensive to her about the joke. I don't see the demeaning or belittling you're speaking to. I mean, I'm not a female, but, I think if I were, I'd lol too. Maybe a female here can explain it, idk.

I do get the double standards and they do exist, but is this that? I'm not seeing it.

Looks don't define women, but does commenting on a woman's looks mean we are necessarily placing limitations on them? I wouldn't think so. I'm listening though.
To be clear, I am not also taking/seeing offense - I was just explaining the premise

I wonder if she would just kick off. It seems like kicking for points would require a lot of practice between center-holder-kicker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom