Various 2008 Pre-season CFB Rankings (1 Viewer)

jott

Reaction score
The ESPN and Rivals links go beyond the top 5, but I am just listing the top 5 here.

ESPN:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3186264

1. Georgia
2. Oklahoma
3. Florida
4. Missouri
5. USC

Rivals:

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=759223

1. USC
2. Georgia
3. OSU
4. Oklahoma
5. Missouri

Lee Courso:

1. Florida
2. USC
3. Oklahoma
4. OSU
5. Georgia

Kirk Herbstreit:

1. USC
2. Georgia
3. Florida
4. Missouri
5. Oklahoma

Take it for what it's worth (an early guess), but the lists are interesting. I was able to dig up Rival's ranking from last year and compared it to the final top 5 from this year--they had LSU #3, Georgia #12, USC #1, Missouri Unranked, and OSU #6.

Meh.

A lot depends, especially for OSU, on how many of their juniors declare for the draft.

At the end of the day, take care of your business on the field and you'll be where you want to be.

How can anyone seriously, after the past few years, rank Oklahoma or tOSU anywhere near the top 5?

I mean, even if they have the best recruiting class ever, you still don't put them in the top 5 until they prove they can win a BCS game.

Get fooled once, ok, fooled twice, it happens, get fooled every dang year, your a freakin *******.

How can anyone seriously, after the past few years, rank Oklahoma or tOSU anywhere near the top 5?

Because watching Bob Stoops' annual BCS bowl choke job is one of the more entertaining New Years' traditions :9:

Cant wait to watch usc fail to live up to their #1 ranking again. Its one of my favorite things about college football.

Because they have great regular season records? Since when should bowl games decide where one should be ranked? if that's the case LSU should be consensus #1 next year.

I'm really not too worried about the rankings next year. I'm happy with LSU being at or around #8 by the time next season comes around.

Just looking at the top 5, you have USC vs. OSU next year so one of them will lose. Mizz plays the soft schedule next year so maybe they luck up and finish strong but I can't see them having the season they had this year.

I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that none of these teams finish top 5 next year. Even UGA, all the hype of how strong they finished and they are going to have an average year next year despite the hype machine. Maybe Florida finishes top 5...maybe.

Easy. Look at their schedules and see how weak they are. They are much more likely to win all of their games than say UF, UGA or LSU, but much more likely to lose to UF, UGA or LSU ion a head-to-head matchup.

BTW, LSU will lose to UF and UGA and finish in the top five before being favored to win it all the next season.

Easy. Look at their schedules and see how weak they are. They are much more likely to win all of their games than say UF, UGA or LSU, but much more likely to lose to UF, UGA or LSU ion a head-to-head matchup.

BTW, LSU will lose to UF and UGA and finish in the top five before being favored to win it all the next season.
We have UGA at home. Miles only lost 2 games at TS so far I believe..

Because they have great regular season records? Since when should bowl games decide where one should be ranked? if that's the case LSU should be consensus #1 next year.

Because the rankings ultimately infleunce what bowl games they go to.

And I do think LSU should be number 1 next year. I've always though the previous winner should remain number 1 until beaten.

And I do think LSU should be number 1 next year. I've always though the previous winner should remain number 1 until beaten.

I agree. Since being ranked high at the start of the season gives a team such a huge advantage in the event of a logjam at the top (ask Auburn), I always thought the defending champ should get the benefit of that advantage in the next season.

I agree. Since being ranked high at the start of the season gives a team such a huge advantage in the event of a logjam at the top (ask Auburn), I always thought the defending champ should get the benefit of that advantage in the next season.

eh, I don't think that works for college. Teams are just too different from year to year with graduating players and losing them to the draft.

That said, I think LSU will be fairly underrated next season. The logic is that losing your starting QB and players like Dorsey and Doucet puts you in rebuilding mode, but I think LSU has done a really good job of working in the guys who are going to replace those players this year so that the learning curve is smaller next season. Add to the fact that many of the up-and-coming replacements are actually more talented physically than their current counterparts and I think LSU has another 2 loss season next year and ends up in a BCS bowl.

2009 will be their year though to shoot for another championship....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom