Vehicle Recommendation Time (1 Viewer)

Brock Meaux

I'm Batman
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm entering the market for a new vehicle so I thought I'd turn to you guys. I currently drive a 2008 Nissan Titan. Love it, but the gas mileage is a killer and I commute 50+ miles a day for work. I recently took a trip to St. Louis in a friend's Honda CRV. Not the most spacious vehicle, but it was fairly eye opening to be able to tank up for half of what it takes me now and get more total miles per tank of gas. I'm looking at a Crossover-type vehicle, and I think I've got it down to the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder and the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe/Santa Fe Sport. All 3 get pretty good MPG. It seems that the Pathfinders have ample amount of room (I'm a big guy), but are a few thousand more, while the Hyundais are more on the smaller side, but offer better gas mileage (30 highway in the Sport) and come with more technology standard, which I like. I've yet to ride or test drive any of them, so I thought I'd ask you guys if you had any experience with them, or if you had recommendations for something I haven't even considered.

I am a big Nissan fan so I am biased. I also keep my vehicles until they die so I would lean on towrds the Nissan as they have proven to be a reliable brand for me. The 2013 Pathfinder is a car based suv unlike the one I owned a few years ago. The ride should be improved. The Nissan V6 is a proven award winning engine. Wife's Altima has about 220,000 on the 3.5V6 and it still purrs like a kitten and burns no oil.

My advice is to not let a few silly bells and whistles make your decision unless it is a bell or whistle that is important to you. If you will only keep it 4 years, then select whatever one you enjoy more.

I have a Jeep Compass. I get pretty good mileage and the space is fine for me. Still getting use to it after driving a Toyota Tundra. I would consider it a crossover although they have it listed as an SUV because they have a 4x4 model. Interior isn't spectacular but the handling is the best i have ever had and is what sold me. Gets mixed reviews but it seems most of the bad ones are for the pre 2011 models.

the only two nissans i've owned are the two we have currently. 2012 altima (which i'm 50/50 on whether or not i like) and a 2011 juke. the cvt in the altima blows. the cvt in the juke is excellent. hopefully the other suvs nissan produces shift more like the juke than the altima.

I have an '11 CRV, and really like it. It doesn't have a ton of miles on it yet, but the gas mileage is pretty good. I get about 28 in town and over 30 when I do some highway driving. It rides pretty good, the leather seats seemed to ride better when we were test driving, so that's what we got. First time I've had leather seats and I really like them. It is a little smaller than my last vehicle, but we just loaded it up with luggage, coolers, fishing poles and 4 adults and went on vacation for a week with no space problems. Put about 2000 miles on it that week.

My husband has an '08 Accord, he drives a lot more than I do, he has about 90,000 miles on it without any repairs so far (knock on wood).

For explorer is worth a look.
They have everything from performance to efficiency.

Jeep Grand Cherokee

The gas mileage won't be as good as the other two you mentioned, but it's still a lot better than the Titan and it's an awesome Suv. Plus it's bigger than the other two so you'll fit more comfortably.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I'd look into those Hyundais a bit before buying as what I've read was that their listed mpgs are no where near what the actual is.

In my opinion, if you like your Titan then you would probably be more comfortable with the Nissan. Besides, you may be able to get a discount because of brand loyalty.

Also, look at total cost of ownership for the vehicles you are interested in. it may help make the choice easier.

the only two nissans i've owned are the two we have currently. 2012 altima (which i'm 50/50 on whether or not i like) and a 2011 juke. the cvt in the altima blows. the cvt in the juke is excellent. hopefully the other suvs nissan produces shift more like the juke than the altima.

What do you not like about the Altima cvt? I too have a 2012 2.5 Altima which is my first cvt and I like it. I previously had the 3.5V6.

I bought my wife's Toyota in 1998. It now has 250,000 miles and is still going. I've had three Toyotas. I'm bringing this up because they're good cars that have good mileage and last a long time. But that doesn't mean we haven't put in around $3000 in maintenance through the years. Not bad, but...

I bought my Honda Accord in 1999. It also has over 200,000 miles and is still going. The big difference: the Honda has never needed anything more than standard maintenance. Absolutely nothing. It still runs like the day I drove it off the lot.

I've not driven Nissans or Hyundais. I heard good things about them but I hear good things about Toyotas too. And it's true, they are all good cars. I can't speak for the Nissans or Hyundais but I can say for a fact that, as good as the Toyotas are (and they are really, really good), they are not even in the same universe as a Honda.

I will never own another care that isn't a Honda.

What do you not like about the Altima cvt? I too have a 2012 2.5 Altima which is my first cvt and I like it. I previously had the 3.5V6.

well, it is only my second automatic so i still try to drive it like a manual. there are times where it doesn't feel as if it is in the right gear. with the juke, it is a lot more fluent in shifting. i try to use the variable shifter thing, but it just isn't the same. otherwise, i love the car.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom