Vernon Gholston! (1 Viewer)

Spam, your exactly right about Gholston against LSU.
A ton of LSU fans (which I am one), kept saying how Stewart dominated Gholston or that Gholston was overrated.
Every pass play I saw, Gholston destroyed Stewart. But, Crowton is a smart coach. So he simply threw alot of quick timing type passes to avoid Gholston's side or they simply moved the pocket away from Gholston.

I think VG, K.Rivers, or S.Ellis would be awesome additions to our D.

I liked Gholston also....I think he was one of the more active OSU players against LSU....he certainly had a better game than Malcom Jenkins, who didn't do nothing, other than giving up a TD! Maybe they confuse Jenkins with Gholston....

Gholston would be the ideal speed rusher the Saints so desperately need up-front! The lack of pressure up front directly influences the play of JD, who looks much worse than he might be with a good pass rush! There is no coincidence that JD was adequate at the Colts having D Freeney up front.....yet he stinks as a Saint with W Smith ahead of him!

I would seriously consider drafting Gholston at #10, if we could trade W Smith to a team with a late 1st, or an early 2nd round draft pick......

Jevon Kearse with guns like Willie Whitehead. He almost makes me wish we had a hole at DE. If he's there, I would not cry one bit to see the Saints pick him up.

It's impossible to have to many good RB's, QB's and pass rushers...

Jevon Kearse with guns like Willie Whitehead. He almost makes me wish we had a hole at DE. If he's there, I would not cry one bit to see the Saints pick him up.

It's impossible to have to many good RB's, QB's and pass rushers...

He'd strictly be a situational pass rusher for us, but you're still talking 30 - 40% of the snaps. Maybe more if we get creative and use him as a LB at times (we stand Will Smith in a 2-point stance occasionally as well). But even not as a full-time player he could have a significant impact.

I think, without doubt, one of our weakest points on defense was the ability to get pressure on 3rd and long.

I think moving Charles Grant inside on 3rd with Will Smith and Gholston on the outside would be killer...

I think moving Charles Grant inside on 3rd with Will Smith and Gholston on the outside would be killer...

The SSF should be all over this as well because it would also give us a legitimate 3-4 front with Smith/Gholston as the rush ends and Grant/Thomas or Clancy/Young or whoever as your front-3.

Of course, all of this pre-supposes a certain level of creativity on defense that we may or may not have right now, but the opportunity for this to be an outstanding draft pick is there at least.

But would you spend the 10th overall pick on essentially Mark Anderson?

But would you spend the 10th overall pick on essentially Mark Anderson?

It's a fair point. You can get a situational pass rusher in the later rounds, Mark Anderson is one example, Trent Cole another.

But of course that's like saying you can get a scatback/WR in the later rounds as well. Reggie Bush is, potentially, way way more then just that and so is Gholston. Gholston is going to be a lot better then Mark Anderson and you can do a lot more things with Gholston.

It's a fair point. You can get a situational pass rusher in the later rounds, Mark Anderson is one example, Trent Cole another.

But of course that's like saying you can get a scatback/WR in the later rounds as well. Reggie Bush is, potentially, way way more then just that and so is Gholston. Gholston is going to be a lot better then Mark Anderson and you can do a lot more things with Gholston.

I somewhat agree with you, but for years my stance has been that the Saints lack of pass rush is attributed to not having LBs who are adept at rushing the QB. It's nice to be able to rush with only 4, but you can't consistently get pressure with 4 in the NFL. You need to have DBs who are adept at rushing the passer, as well as LBs. You also need to have a defense that doesn't play on its heels.

And to be honest, I don't rate Gholston that high. I think he's good, but I think he needs to be on a 3-4 team. IMO, the Saints should look to trade up to 8 if Sedrick Ellis gets there. Otherwise, we should be trading the other way and loading up on picks. Our defense lacks not only starting quality players, but also back-ups. I think it's crucial for us to find a 3rd DE. I think it's crucial we find young LBs and DBs. That's alot to fill and years from now, I think we'll really reap benefits if we can add day one players to our defense.

I totally agree with what you and MLU have said. Let's remember when we drafted W.Smith, many didn't understand why we wasted a 1st rounder when we had Howard and Grant.
I think you could use those 3 very nicely together.
I also believe that we must get more pressure without having to blitz.

My first choice in the draft would be
Ellis/Dorsey if they make it to 10
Next Rivers
Next Gholston
Any of those 4 and I'd be very happy.

I fail to understand the great impression of this guy. I think against he had like 2 tackles 1 for a loss. That is all he could do against our weakest link on the offensive line. May be a great physical specimen, but personally would rather have a football player.

I fail to understand the great impression of this guy. I think against he had like 2 tackles 1 for a loss. That is all he could do against our weakest link on the offensive line. May be a great physical specimen, but personally would rather have a football player.

If the QB is throwing the ball quickly after a 3-step drop and the RB goes to the left most every run, what do you expect him to do? LSU stayed away from him.

If the QB is throwing the ball quickly after a 3-step drop and the RB goes to the left most every run, what do you expect him to do? LSU stayed away from him.

if lsu could do it what do u think proteams would do? no doubt hes a great talent but i would much rather go after terrell suggs in FA. a young vet who could really get after the passer and be a service in the running game. vernons best fit would be in the 3/4 and i think i know were hes going. new england fans start ordering your jerseys.

if lsu could do it what do u think proteams would do?

That's what NFL teams do all the time. They gameplan away from certain players. The difference is in the NFL there are usually other good players to step up. The Ghoulston situation is the same problem we had with McKenzie this year. He was so good, but teams just went to the other CB, who happened to get toasted. Can you blame McKenzie? Give LSU credit for using a good gameplan. I still don't see how LSU going away from him diminishes his talent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom