Vernon Gholston (2 Viewers)

We cant afford to take him at this point, we have holes in our defense and none of them are at DE. Sure he looks like hes going to be a beast but if we want to win now, get a LB, CB, or DT wayyy before DE.

After seeing what a dominent front 4 can do in the superbowl, I think that thinking is out the window.

If he is there you pick him. Part of the Giants success is their rotation of 3 great DE's. They all stay fresh and rush the pass well the entire game. LB's are nice, but there isn't one worth the 10th pick (maybe Rivers) anyway. We can get LB's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Then sign Corey Williams in FA to play DT.

I am not sure if we could put him at LBer in our 4 - 3 becuase I am not sure how he covers. I just have no clue how he would match up with a WR in the slot, or a RB out of the backfield, a TE etc. If he can cover, he could shed some weight and be able to stand up for us in our 4 - 3. All that said he is gone before 10, no doubt.

Gholston was used not only as a pure pass rusher at Ohio State. I know his power and speed are enough to make him an attractive prospect, but also he also was sent back to cover and made a great job for a defensive end.

More than Dwight Freeney, I think that he will be a player on the style of Terrell Suggs and Roosevelt Colvin. A guy who can play the strongside linebacker position in first and second downs and used as a speed pass rusher in obvious pass situations.

I don't think he will be there, but I would be very happy if we get him. He can be an every down player along with Grant and Smith, but if we get him I think will make us to shift Fujita to either the weakside or the middle, instead of making Charles Grant a full-time defensive tackle.

I'd be thrilled if we came away with Gholsten at #10... THRILLED!

CB and Kentawn Ballmer are the things that scare me at #10.

We need to stay focused, we dont need a expensive backup (Grant and Smith our the starters) and we are in a position to get the best player available at a need position (Linebacker and Defensive Tackle) Gholston would be a great pick up for any team, but for us, unless we are letting Smith go next year I dont see why we need to draft this guy, and if thats the reason, then all we are doing is making a revoving door at that DE spot, were not stock piling talent all over the defense, just at the DE spot.

Another thing, I don't think that there is a way that the Patriots would pass on Gholston. He fits his scheme perfectly as a rush outside linebacker. I even think that if the pats could choose between Dorsey, Ellis or Gholston, they would pick Gholston.

I think this would be a no brainer. If Gholston is there at 10 you have to take him. He could be the New Orleans Saints version of Justin Tuck. The G-men even move Tuck inside sometimes to help with the rush. Gholston is already listed at 258lbs coming out of college I am sure by the combine he will be in the 260lbs range. Tuck is listed at 274lbs so I don't see why Gholston couldn't be that sort of weapon for us and it WOULD greatly improve are D by getting pressure from various angles. Having said that I don't see how in the world he would fall to us I think if he does fall out of the top 5 he won't get past the Pats.

Last edited:
thinking about it, I think there's less chance of gholston sliding to 10 then Ellis...reason being that a smaller DT is usable by less teams then a DE/OLB type player

New York, New England, Cincy...all could use Gholston, whereas only Cincy realistically have a spot for Ellis

I'd much rather Ellis anyway, but I'm bracing myself for him not being there:(

We need to stay focused, we dont need a expensive backup (Grant and Smith our the starters) and we are in a position to get the best player available at a need position (Linebacker and Defensive Tackle) Gholston would be a great pick up for any team, but for us, unless we are letting Smith go next year I dont see why we need to draft this guy, and if thats the reason, then all we are doing is making a revoving door at that DE spot, were not stock piling talent all over the defense, just at the DE spot.

While I really hope the BPA on the board at #10 is a DT or LB, it's likely they won't be. Dorsey and Ellis will be gone and I don't think Rivers is better than Gholston (Although I could be wrong) and no other LB is close to being worth the #10 pick.

So, if Gholston is the BPA I say we take him. First, you can never have too many pass rushers and at this point I'm not sure that we have any pass rushers. If this guy can get to the QB, it quickly makes you a better team. Second, DE is a place where it is easy to get plenty of use out of three players. It would allow you to slide Grant inside on 3rd down and allow you to rotate players at DE to keep them fresh into the 4th quarter. Third, Ogeron apparently really likes to rotate his D-Linemen to keep them fresh and he likes the smaller, faster guys like Gholston.

That being said, I don't see Grant moving to DT. We talked about doing this when Will Smith was drafted and we already had Daren Howard. At the time, Grant said he did not want to move to DT. I can't imagine he has changed his mind since then.

I think that our options of what to do with the 10th pick should look like this:

1. Gholston
2. Dorsey
3. Ellis
4. Mckelvin

If we can't get any of these guys we should try very hard to either trade up for one of them or trade down for a guy like Cromartie

Another thing, I don't think that there is a way that the Patriots would pass on Gholston. He fits his scheme perfectly as a rush outside linebacker. I even think that if the pats could choose between Dorsey, Ellis or Gholston, they would pick Gholston.
Picture Mike Vrabel. Now picture a faster, more athletic Vernon Gholston in that same role. :covri:

Nothing in his college career seems to suggest this - he's shown growth, been consistent and has very promising skills. He's not a one year wonder or a workout warrior with no game film to back it up (the two most likely bust categories, imo), so I'm curious as to why you'd peg him as being a bust?

I'm not even sure I'd be happy with the Saints drafting him and I've got no vested interest in Ohio St. players, so I'm not trying to pick at you - just curious.

It concerns me when all the experts fall in love with a guy. In the right system, like the Giants, he will do well. But, he seems more of a situational player than an every down player. He's not a Peppers impact guy in my opinion. The Saints do not need to draft him. The Saints need a starter at DT, CB, or LB out of that pick.

While I really hope the BPA on the board at #10 is a DT or LB, it's likely they won't be. Dorsey and Ellis will be gone and I don't think Rivers is better than Gholston (Although I could be wrong) and no other LB is close to being worth the #10 pick.

So, if Gholston is the BPA I say we take him. First, you can never have too many pass rushers and at this point I'm not sure that we have any pass rushers. If this guy can get to the QB, it quickly makes you a better team. Second, DE is a place where it is easy to get plenty of use out of three players. It would allow you to slide Grant inside on 3rd down and allow you to rotate players at DE to keep them fresh into the 4th quarter. Third, Ogeron apparently really likes to rotate his D-Linemen to keep them fresh and he likes the smaller, faster guys like Gholston.

That being said, I don't see Grant moving to DT. We talked about doing this when Will Smith was drafted and we already had Daren Howard. At the time, Grant said he did not want to move to DT. I can't imagine he has changed his mind since then.

Rivers may not be better than Gholston, but Rivers is a tremendous talent at a "need" position for us, so it would be the best pick up, thats like saying we should take Darren McFadden if he slids to us, this draft if full of "if he slids" but we still have to maintain a plan, we have specific needs on this defense and a speed edge rusher is one of them, but you can get a one dimensional (wiith room to improve) in the later rounds, a guy from a small school (or big) that didnt quite measure out whether it be height or weight, but has good speed and can be a 3rd down rusher.....(taking a breath) in the later rounds, if thats a need, but as far as the first pick for us, it has to be LB, DT, CB, because those are the trouble spots...we cant fall into that "oh I didnt think he would be there, lets take him and say he was the BPA" cause thats how you keep missing your "need" players and picking up a less talented player to fill that spot in the later rounds.

Picture Mike Vrabel. Now picture a faster, more athletic Vernon Gholston in that same role. :covri:

Not only that, if they want they can move Adalius Thomas inside to replace Bruschi or Seau!

I remember that Grant hated to play inside......and Howard too! Haslet used Howard mostly inside when all 3 DEs were in action. But in all fairness Grant is just too slow to play the edge and speed rush the passer. On the other hand Grant would be a force inside in either stopping the run, or rushing the passer from the 3 tech position. When Haslet used all 3 DEs, it was almost exclusively on passing downs, but Grant would be very much used as Justin Tuck is used by the Giants....run & pass situations....on almost every down. There, Grant would still be fast enough to cause major problems against a G, unlike as a DE, when he seldom gets any penetration!

I remember that Grant hated to play inside......and Howard too! Haslet used Howard mostly inside when all 3 DEs were in action. But in all fairness Grant is just too slow to play the edge and speed rush the passer. On the other hand Grant would be a force inside in either stopping the run, or rushing the passer from the 3 tech position. When Haslet used all 3 DEs, it was almost exclusively on passing downs, but Grant would be very much used as Justin Tuck is used by the Giants....run & pass situations....on almost every down. There, Grant would still be fast enough to cause major problems against a G, unlike as a DE, when he seldom gets any penetration!

I agee Grant would probably excel at that position, but I'm not sure Grant is willing to do it. And if he isn't willing to do it, there isn't much we can do about it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom