Vernon Gholston (1 Viewer)

Rivers may not be better than Gholston, but Rivers is a tremendous talent at a "need" position for us, so it would be the best pick up, thats like saying we should take Darren McFadden if he slids to us, this draft if full of "if he slids" but we still have to maintain a plan, we have specific needs on this defense and a speed edge rusher is one of them, but you can get a one dimensional (wiith room to improve) in the later rounds, a guy from a small school (or big) that didnt quite measure out whether it be height or weight, but has good speed and can be a 3rd down rusher.....(taking a breath) in the later rounds, if thats a need, but as far as the first pick for us, it has to be LB, DT, CB, because those are the trouble spots...we cant fall into that "oh I didnt think he would be there, lets take him and say he was the BPA" cause thats how you keep missing your "need" players and picking up a less talented player to fill that spot in the later rounds.

But you might get much better production and impact from Gholston and a playmaker is what we need on defense. No matter what position he plays. Grant and Smith were both very disappointing last year. So, unless they step it up, we are far from set a DE. Despite the money we have spent on the position, DE is really still a position of need.

In addition, he would make the rest of the defensive line better because it would allow them to stay fresher. You can get a LB from a small school or who doesn't quite grade out high enough too. The problem is that in the first rouind, you have to take the best player, regarless of position. We've had this discussion many times before, so I won't go over it again, but I still strongly back taking BPA. Sometimes you might take a slightly lesser rated player over a slightly higher rated palyer if the lesser is at a need position, but only if they are very close.

That being said, I wouldn't really have a problem with taking Rivers at 10. But, I have to leave it up to the coaching staff to decide if they would take Gholston over Rivers. If they think he would be a better fit or make the defense better, then at this point, I just have to trust them until they are proven wrong.

I agee Grant would probably excel at that position, but I'm not sure Grant is willing to do it. And if he isn't willing to do it, there isn't much we can do about it.

I'm pretty sure at the beginning Tuck hated to play inside too.....untill the results had shown what a force he was inside! After that, he warmed up to the idea......

Grant should be talked to, and tried at the position......and let the results speak for themselves....you never know, he might like it just as Tuck did if he excells inside...

I wonder if Grant would be open to moving inside, since he's already got his contract with guaranteed money. Since DEs make more than DTs, maybe his objection to moving inside in the past was based on the notion he'd miss his big payday. Since he has his money, I wonder if he'd be open to DT now.

Vernon Gholston- 6'4, 258 lbs,

Brian Urlacher- 6'4, 258 lbs, 4.59 40-yard dash

Anyone think Gholston is athletic enough to play LB in a 4-3?

It concerns me when all the experts fall in love with a guy. In the right system, like the Giants, he will do well. But, he seems more of a situational player than an every down player. He's not a Peppers impact guy in my opinion. The Saints do not need to draft him. The Saints need a starter at DT, CB, or LB out of that pick.
Fair enough, and I especially agree with that last sentence.

"After seeing what a dominent front 4 can do in the superbowl, I think that thinking is out the window.

If he is there you pick him. Part of the Giants success is their rotation of 3 great DE's. They all stay fresh and rush the pass well the entire game. LB's are nice, but there isn't one worth the 10th pick (maybe Rivers) anyway. We can get LB's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Then sign Corey Williams in FA to play DT."

AGREE 100% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vernon Gholston- 6'4, 258 lbs,
Brian Urlacher- 6'4, 258 lbs, 4.59 40-yard dash
Anyone think Gholston is athletic enough to play LB in a 4-3?

Yes, I already have discussed about it on page 1 of this thread:

"Gholston was used not only as a pure pass rusher at Ohio State. I know his power and speed are enough to make him an attractive prospect, but also he also was sent back to cover and made a great job for a defensive end.
More than Dwight Freeney, I think that he will be a player on the style of Terrell Suggs and Roosevelt Colvin. A guy who can play the strongside linebacker position in first and second downs and used as a speed pass rusher in obvious pass situations.
I don't think he will be there, but I would be very happy if we get him. He can be an every down player along with Grant and Smith, but if we get him I think will make us to shift Fujita to either the weakside or the middle, instead of making Charles Grant a full-time defensive tackle."

I don't think there is any chance he will be there for the saints to pick. He fits exactly a need and profile the patriots want on defense. But in the weird case that he would be available, it will be an interesting dilemma for the saints on picking between Gholston or Rivers.

Gholston may play on the SAM position on run downs and as a pure pass rusher on passing situations, but still, he would need to put a lot of study hours to make the transition. Rivers is to me fits the bill as the model weakside linebacker. He would still need better help at the MIKE and and with the line to really excell.

Drafing Gholston would mean moving Fujita to a different position, and would improve our pass rush dramatically while drafting Rivers would keep the scheme the same, but certainly we would get a better production in tackles by the linebackers.

So what is more important for our scheme? More passing pressure or more effectiveness in tackes, allowing us to stop the run better. We have to remember that Gibbs' scheme has not being aggressive as we may expect.

Yes, I already have discussed about it on page 1 of this thread:

"Gholston was used not only as a pure pass rusher at Ohio State. I know his power and speed are enough to make him an attractive prospect, but also he also was sent back to cover and made a great job for a defensive end.
More than Dwight Freeney, I think that he will be a player on the style of Terrell Suggs and Roosevelt Colvin. A guy who can play the strongside linebacker position in first and second downs and used as a speed pass rusher in obvious pass situations.
I don't think he will be there, but I would be very happy if we get him. He can be an every down player along with Grant and Smith, but if we get him I think will make us to shift Fujita to either the weakside or the middle, instead of making Charles Grant a full-time defensive tackle."

I don't think there is any chance he will be there for the saints to pick. He fits exactly a need and profile the patriots want on defense. But in the weird case that he would be available, it will be an interesting dilemma for the saints on picking between Gholston or Rivers.

Gholston may play on the SAM position on run downs and as a pure pass rusher on passing situations, but still, he would need to put a lot of study hours to make the transition. Rivers is to me fits the bill as the model weakside linebacker. He would still need better help at the MIKE and and with the line to really excell.

Drafing Gholston would mean moving Fujita to a different position, and would improve our pass rush dramatically while drafting Rivers would keep the scheme the same, but certainly we would get a better production in tackles by the linebackers.

So what is more important for our scheme? More passing pressure or more effectiveness in tackes, allowing us to stop the run better. We have to remember that Gibbs' scheme has not being aggressive as we may expect.

i'm thinking gibbs "aggressiveness" depends totally on whom he has to work with.......
remember when Jason David was out, he was calling much more aggressive..

Gholston was not a beast against LSU and most Saints fans think LSU sucks .

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom