Vernon Gholston (1 Viewer)

Slaw

VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This guy is listed at 6-4 258 but will probably have put on some more weight by the time the combine gets here. I think he's the best player in the draft as far as rushing the quarterback is concerned.

If he falls to the 10th pick I dont think there is any way we can pass on him. Yes, I am aware that we have two highly paid defensive ends, but looking at our sack totals you would never guess it

I could care less what the coaches decide to do with him as long as he is on the field, whether it be sliding Grant to DT, switching to the 3-4 defense, or using him as a situational pass rusher.

If we add Gholston, he alone GREATLY improves our defense. He will cause more sacks, interceptions, and incomplete passes which is what our team desperately needs.

Any other opinions on this?

He won't be there at 10. If he is, then he'd be a great pick.

I don't know how feasible it is, but I'm starting to think Grant should start at DT to generate a more consistent pass rush. If we could draft Gholston and keep Smith, Gholston and Grant on the field for a nice percentage of defensive plans, it could help our defense immensely.

Last edited:
Gholston is a beast, no doubt about it. If we got him..then move Grant inside..I think he's big enough to take the double team.

That's what I'm thinking. And Gholston is nowhere near undersized, as I have heard some say. He is around the same size or bigger than guys like Simeon Rice, Jevon Kearse, Demarcus Ware, Dwight Freeney, and Terrell Suggs who have all been very successful.

Edit: He is also bigger than Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora so there should be no question that he is a DE in the 4-3

Last edited:
I'd let him play as our WLB. He's a Demarcus Ware kind of guy, but i guess we can still use him in a 4-3 defense.

How does this look?

Smith
Corey Williams (FA)
Edit: Grant
Vernon Gholston (1st)
Demorrio Williams (FA)
Curtis Lofton (2nd)
Fujita
Marcus Trufant (FA)
Bullocks/Kaesviharn
Harper
Mckenzie

Last edited:
start kaesviharn and were a playoff team with that defense

If he's the best player, they have to take him. You can never have enough pass rushers. But you certainly can have too few.

My only concern would be that he would get #10 pick money along with Grant's contract and the likelyhood of Will Smith getting a huge extension.

The majority of the teams in the top 10 play the 3-4 and personally I think Vernon Gholston would be better as a 4-3 defensive end. The combine is usually the time when scouts and coaches ask players like Gholston if they would be happy with playing in the 3-4 as an OLB.

We cant afford to take him at this point, we have holes in our defense and none of them are at DE. Sure he looks like hes going to be a beast but if we want to win now, get a LB, CB, or DT wayyy before DE.

I think Gholston is the most interesting prospect in the draft. He looks to me like Shawn Merriman did comming out. He is gonna have a monster combine/pro day. I think you may very well be right about him being the best -player in the draft. I just don;t see him falling to 10, I think he can solitify himself as the number 1 pick with a good workout. He has the build to play DE in a 4 - 3, and he has the speed to play LB in a 3 - 4. I am not sure if we could put him at LBer in our 4 - 3 becuase I am not sure how he covers. I just have no clue how he would match up with a WR in the slot, or a RB out of the backfield, a TE etc. If he can cover, he could shed some weight and be able to stand up for us in our 4 - 3.

All that said he is gone before 10, no doubt.

I think he's going to be one of the busts in the draft.

I think he's going to be one of the busts in the draft.
Nothing in his college career seems to suggest this - he's shown growth, been consistent and has very promising skills. He's not a one year wonder or a workout warrior with no game film to back it up (the two most likely bust categories, imo), so I'm curious as to why you'd peg him as being a bust?

I'm not even sure I'd be happy with the Saints drafting him and I've got no vested interest in Ohio St. players, so I'm not trying to pick at you - just curious.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom