Versatility is a big bonus for prospects (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
draft.gif

Pat Kirwan / NFL.com

When I was with the Jets, our owner Leon Hess had a saying that he picked up from the first coach he ever hired, the legendary Weeb Ewbank. "The more you can do ..." It was a mantra he always preached to his players, coaches, and the team staff, right down to the secretaries. It materialized in my own career in the early 1990's when I was actively participating in Pete Carroll's defensive game plans while maintaining my responsibilities in the personnel department as assistant general manager to Dick Steinberg.

For the players in today's NFL, Weeb's mantra is as true as ever. Despite the trend toward teams using the spread offense more, defensive coaches want to maintain an advantage by staying in their base schemes. That means they need linebackers who can drop into coverage and make plays on the ball, stay with the tight end, shed and tackle against the run, AND get to the quarterback. Defensive linemen with the speed to rush off the edge and size to move inside on passing downs are at a premium. Safeties who can cover and corners who can support the run are always valuable. Full Story – NFL.com
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story;jses...0d5d80758232&template=with-video&confirm=true

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom