Very disappointed in Saints draft so far (1 Viewer)

Needless to say, with all the talk and hype that has gone into this year's draft I am left unimpressed with what the Saints have done so far. In my opinion there were so many other solid players the Saints could have went with the 28th pick in the fisrst round. And they go Peyton Turner??? The guy's tape is impressive but he seems like a carbon copy on Marcus Davenport. At least they didn't trade up to get him and I hope Turner works out but I have my doubts. Then the 2nd pick...Pete Werner...I'm not saying it was an awful pick but I would've went in another direction. The 3rd pick is actually one I do like out of them all..Paulson Adebo...I think he can prove to be a strong player when it's all said and done. Ian Book??? that's a meh pick for me...why go QB there when you have more pressing needs at WR? We always say in Loomis we trust but so far I may need to be reminded of that more often.
Just curious what you do for a living. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but unless you have a crystal ball that you can see into the future, we have no way of knowing how this draft will turn out next year, two years, four years from now.

You might be a college player analyst and would have much more input and knowledge than the rest of us, but until we see these players play and develop over the next couple of years, there is no reason to be unimpressed with the draft. Even the guys that get paid millions of dollars to analyze these players get it wrong. Sure bet players are often duds and vice versa. Tom Brady was drafted in the 6th round. Mel Kiper had him projected as a 4th rounder.

Let's hope that the Saint's staff knows a ton more than us arm chair QB's know and that our picks all turn out to be studs. Saints have the most wins in the NFL over the last 3 years, so they must be doing something right.

I am torn between the front office having a vision for the players drafter to replace pieces we have lost: Turner for Hendrickson, Werner for Anzalone, Adebo for Jenkins... these are not one to one but appear need based not talent based. As a fan we all want our team to draft the player ranked best available. We certainly don't want to hear our first round draft pick and go who...oh some teams had that guy with a fourth round grade. After all the hype it feels deflating. We don't want to be all excited about an extra third rounder and have it traded away and have that questioned. The overall sense I have had about each of the picks is we could have gotten that player later. We could have traded back and still gotten that guy. That feels to me like losing the draft even if you like the player or see how he could fit with the Saints. I miss last year when I felt like this roster was so stacked I wondered how any second day draft picks could make the team.

So far the Panthers have had the draft I'd hoped the saints would have had. Hope I'm very wrong.

These types of threads are the reason I keep reading Saints report when I want a good laugh. Nothing in life is a sure thing no matter where these kids are drafted. Just because they played great in college doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be the great in the pros and then vice versa. Just because they were from a small college or weren’t spectacular doesn’t mean they won’t be great in the pros thanks to coaching up, weight training, etc. Personally the Saints did just fine IMO.

Last edited:
We have lost late season and playoff games literally due to a few plays where no WR could get separation and MT was being doubled. Or when they did get open, they drop or fumble. The need for a 2nd WR opposite Thomas is not overstated - It’s glaring at the biggest moments in the most important games.

I don't disagree with this. But, we aren't that team anymore. We aren't just a WR away from getting to or winning the SB. So, while I agree that we need another WR opposite Thomas, it's far from the only need and not having that WR this year isn't going to make the difference between being in the Super Bowl or not. It's probably not even going to make the difference in whether we make the playoffs or not.

Don't mind the 1st and 3rd round picks.

The linebacker out of Ohio State seems like a very meh pick. He looks incredibly slow on tape. But then again i'm not a scout.

Needless to say, with all the talk and hype that has gone into this year's draft I am left unimpressed with what the Saints have done so far. In my opinion there were so many other solid players the Saints could have went with the 28th pick in the fisrst round. And they go Peyton Turner??? The guy's tape is impressive but he seems like a carbon copy on Marcus Davenport. At least they didn't trade up to get him and I hope Turner works out but I have my doubts. Then the 2nd pick...Pete Werner...I'm not saying it was an awful pick but I would've went in another direction. The 3rd pick is actually one I do like out of them all..Paulson Adebo...I think he can prove to be a strong player when it's all said and done. Ian Book??? that's a meh pick for me...why go QB there when you have more pressing needs at WR? We always say in Loomis we trust but so far I may need to be reminded of that more often.

Maybe we are learning that Terry Fontenot was the bigger evaluator of talent than we knew.

Seems like the Saints have ignored the WR again. Last year’s and this year’s drafts were loaded with WR talent - why not use a pick in the first few rounds and nab a playmaker? Throwing UDFAs at the position isn’t getting it done.

I was upset when we drafted Deuce. Believe that? I was like all those picks we gave up for Ricky and we're drafting another HB? Deuce became my favorite Saints' player until Drew came along.
If I wasn't so lazy I could go back in time and find some of my posts around the time they signed Brees. I was very *meh* about that signing. I definitely wanted Cullpepper. Drew got his revenge this year as I finally dropped the cash on his jersey after his retirement. LOL

Fortunately the football is Payton and Loomis' job and mine is keeping the beer cold and the grill hot.

Most players don’t pan out...so complaining about every player is actually the smart strategy.

Seems like the Saints have ignored the WR again. Last year’s and this year’s drafts were loaded with WR talent - why not use a pick in the first few rounds and nab a playmaker? Throwing UDFAs at the position isn’t getting it done.
How so? Marquez Callaway was among the Saints best rookies last season, and I saw enough from him to believe that he could realistically become a starting caliber WR very soon.

TQS could really see his game takeoff with a more vertical passing game.

...and then you have to consider that there will be some veteran WRs set free after the draft and around June 1st, and the Saints should be active in that FA phase.

If I wasn't so lazy I could go back in time and find some of my posts around the time they signed Brees. I was very *meh* about that signing. I definitely wanted Cullpepper. Drew got his revenge this year as I finally dropped the cash on his jersey after his retirement. LOL

Fortunately the football is Payton and Loomis' job and mine is keeping the beer cold and the grill hot.
I've learned to just chill and let the chips fall where they may and enjoy how these draft classes play-out down the line and hope for the best.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom