Very disappointed in Saints draft so far (3 Viewers)

I am torn between the front office having a vision for the players drafter to replace pieces we have lost: Turner for Hendrickson, Werner for Anzalone, Adebo for Jenkins... these are not one to one but appear need based not talent based. As a fan we all want our team to draft the player ranked best available. We certainly don't want to hear our first round draft pick and go who...oh some teams had that guy with a fourth round grade. After all the hype it feels deflating. We don't want to be all excited about an extra third rounder and have it traded away and have that questioned. The overall sense I have had about each of the picks is we could have gotten that player later. We could have traded back and still gotten that guy. That feels to me like losing the draft even if you like the player or see how he could fit with the Saints. I miss last year when I felt like this roster was so stacked I wondered how any second day draft picks could make the team.
Had we held pat in 3rdwe could have gotten Merntz and LB Browning from Ohio State. Adelpo better be worth it. Book was a waste of a pick. He is not a potential starter. UDFA can carry a clip board. We needed a WR bad

I love draft day. It's when everyone gets to act like they're smarter than the guys that get paid mucho dinero to do it.
There was a time when I was very involved and opinionated in our drafts because the Saints braintrust continued to make poor decisions on draft day and in free agency...but that was pre-Payton/Loomis. Between these two and now Ireland...their track record has been proven in imo so now I just sit back and enjoy not stressing about any of it.

Here is what I know:
1. Sean Payton and Jeff Ireland know more than I'll ever know about what their team needs and picking players.
2. Teams spend millions of dollars analyzing first round draft picks and more times than not the player doesn't turn out as to what they expect and many become a bust. It's somewhat of a crapshoot.
3. 2nd-7th round picks and UDFA's make teams every year and go on to have long careers. Sometimes you just can't measure a guys heart and how much that drives him to prove people wrong.
4. You really can't analyze a draft until 2-3 years later.
Well said...As a quick reaction to the last 3 days I, like many, are a bit disappointed that the Saints did not pick players that I had read extensively about by the draft pundits. I do, clearly realize, that the Saints know a hell of a lot more about the players that the vast majority of fans and that good drafting teams look for that 3 year development window before grading an individual class. I trust the Saints braintrust, knowing that drafting is an art not so much an exact science, and that all teams never hit a 100% of their selections. Motivation, injuries, ability to absorb an NFL playbook, all factor in each year to the net benefits of an individual draft class.

Over the last 3 or 4 years the Saints have had the best record overall in the NFL, playoff disappointments aside, and that has to be considered when evaluating the talent this team has amassed over that time period. To me winning is the true indicator at how teams assemble talent (draft, FA, trades, etc).

I'm never disappointed--or thrilled--with a draft until about 3 years later.

Yet there are some that think after a rookie year where he played out of position that Ruiz will never, ever be a good/great C.....Yep, it usually takes a few years to know what you really have in a player, certainly there are exceptions...

Let me help you out here:

You don't know sheet. Aside from a tiny handful of posters on this site who are actually professionals or semi-professionals, nobody on this site knows half as much as they think. The people in NFL scouting departments have literally forgotten more about player evaluation than any of us have ever known. They get paid good money to go sit and watch specific teams and specific players for years and years. Someone sitting in their house watching highlight reels doesn't have anything on them.

And guess what? They still get it wrong as often as they get it right. The draft is, always has been, and always will be a gamble. There are far more players who were world beaters in college who became nobodies in the NFL than the other way around. Not every "slam dunk" first pick of the draft QB has panned out.

A lot of Saints fans were P'Oed off when they missed out on Mario Williams and got Reggie Bush instead. Neither of them had all that great of careers anyway. Good? Sure. Would they go #1 and #2 in a 2006 redraft? I'd say probably not. Every pick, even and especially in the first round, is a roll of the dice.

I pretty much agree with this sentiment....

I agree 100% with your assessment. I don't trust in Loomis for anything except money management. Players evaluations suck for the Saints. You can disagree but I don't care. People think they do deep evaluations then Payton admits in a interview that there are certain college programs that they have a lot of confidence in. Whatever

I agree, I wouldn't trust Loomis to evaluate and draft players and I'm almost certain the Saints don't. I think it is obvious since Jeff Ireland was allowed to hire his own scouting staff in 2016, he does the bulk of the player evaluation and I think they don't draft a defender unless he is on board...I do think SP has input on the offensive side....and this is just a theory but I think it is a reasonable one, given how much we have improved drafting defensive players since 2016....

Remember that UDFA out of Hofstra that we picked up years ago?

We have a habit of finding diamonds in the late rounds and UDFA's. Let's see what he can do.

I remember that guy Colston we got late in the 7th, there was another guy from Hofstra we got as a UDFA?

I tend to agree with this. I’m just a little concerned about the possibility of losing Thomas for an extended period of time and being stuck with Trequan Smith being our number 1 with Winston or Hill at QB! That’s actually somewhat terrifying...but a rookie receiver (outside of Chase) probably wouldn’t really help in that situation either.
Calloway will step in.

I believe Adebo will be the answer to Question 2-4, with a veteran starting week one. I believe Turner will be a rotation player as early as week one. I believe Werner will fight it out with Baun for Payton’s **** list in any given week. I believe we will have forgotten that the players drafted on the third day were ever with the team by week one.

Usually players drafted on the third day, don't make the team or are sent to the PS and hardly ever see the field....

But I have a really good feeling (albeit just a hunch) on our last 2 picks....we will see...

Well said...As a quick reaction to the last 3 days I, like many, are a bit disappointed that the Saints did not pick players that I had read extensively about by the draft pundits. I do, clearly realize, that the Saints know a hell of a lot more about the players that the vast majority of fans and that good drafting teams look for that 3 year development window before grading an individual class. I trust the Saints braintrust, knowing that drafting is an art not so much an exact science, and that all teams never hit a 100% of their selections. Motivation, injuries, ability to absorb an NFL playbook, all factor in each year to the net benefits of an individual draft class.

Over the last 3 or 4 years the Saints have had the best record overall in the NFL, playoff disappointments aside, and that has to be considered when evaluating the talent this team has amassed over that time period. To me winning is the true indicator at how teams assemble talent (draft, FA, trades, etc).
Say it louder for the folks in the back...

This thread need to be bumped at the end of the season. I think these players might surprise a lot of you.

This thread need to be bumped at the end of the season. I think these players might surprise a lot of you.
Speaking as the thread starter I'm all for it. I want to be wrong but I just feel like the Saints made a few missteps with this draft.

I know he’s solid, but im not the biggest fan of the Werner pick. & though i like Ian Book, i think we drafted him a too early. Other that, im totally cool w/our draft.

I absolutely LOVE the Adebo pick! I believe he’ll ascend in the same way Chauncey ascended on defense. Payton Turner is literally Cam Jordan, in my opinion. From what ive seen of this EDGE class, i think our dude Turner is the best power rusher of the lot. Tons of film showing speed to power, & this from a guy who’s new/raw at the position. It’s easy for me to see why we liked him so much. Turner totally has looked like a guy who’s leveling up his game. Like Cam did coming out of Cal, Turner projects as a better pro.

Needless to say, with all the talk and hype that has gone into this year's draft I am left unimpressed with what the Saints have done so far. In my opinion there were so many other solid players the Saints could have went with the 28th pick in the fisrst round. And they go Peyton Turner??? The guy's tape is impressive but he seems like a carbon copy on Marcus Davenport. At least they didn't trade up to get him and I hope Turner works out but I have my doubts. Then the 2nd pick...Pete Werner...I'm not saying it was an awful pick but I would've went in another direction. The 3rd pick is actually one I do like out of them all..Paulson Adebo...I think he can prove to be a strong player when it's all said and done. Ian Book??? that's a meh pick for me...why go QB there when you have more pressing needs at WR? We always say in Loomis we trust but so far I may need to be reminded of that more often.
Every year no matter what half of the board loves the picks we make or the moves we make to get these players, and half doesn't. Not everyone will be happy, I would say they had a few targets they 100% wanted and then they just waited to see what came our way.

I hope 3 of these players pan out to be starters, at best thats what we can hope for.

I know he’s solid, but im not the biggest fan of the Werner pick. & though i like Ian Book, i think we drafted him a too early. Other that, im totally cool w/our draft.

I absolutely LOVE the Adebo pick! I believe he’ll ascend in the same way Chauncey ascended on defense. Payton Turner is literally Cam Jordan, in my opinion. From what ive seen of this EDGE class, i think our dude Turner is the best power rusher of the lot. Tons of film showing speed to power, & this from a guy who’s new/raw at the position. It’s easy for me to see why we liked him so much. Turner totally has looked like a guy who’s leveling up his game. Like Cam did coming out of Cal, Turner projects as a better pro.
Agreed about Turner. He’s gonna have several folks here running for the delete button

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom