Very odd server issue (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I have a server running 2003 Standard R2. It also has the domain controller, AD, and DNS. I have roughly 30 computers in AD.

My problem:
We use a website, Skyrouter.com, to track our helicopters in while they are flying. This website uses Silverlight and it worked fine up until Tuesday. When you visit the site, everything loads, but it appears to not connect to the database which shows our tracking info. Here is the weird part. It works perfectly fine if you take the computer off the domain. You put it on the domain and it doesn't load the info.

I have not changed any settings within the past week on the server, router, etc. What could be causing the website to not load right only on domain computers?

Just a guess but it would seem to be a domain security policy causing your issue.

Anything in the event logs on the server?

Has to be group policy settings. Probably firewall, just guessing.

Does it load if you are logged in as a domain admin?

I haven't changed group policy, which puzzles me. Nor have I changed any settings in my ASA for it to suddenly stop loading. No one has admin access besides me.

I am the domain admin and it doesn't load. If I log in locally, it won't load. It isn't until I remove the computer from the domain entirely that it will work.

I'm going to start uninstalling updates 1 by 1.

What made you decide to try it by disconnecting from the domain? Just curious.

Try turning off the windows firewall on a computer joined to the domain to see if that fixes any thing. (shot in the dark)</br></br> I assume they host the database?

it shouldn't be a database issue. As I understand it, the problem is with the client computer loading the website. That means the web server is connecting to the database and serving up the information to the client.

The client can't load the website - to me it sounds like some sort of permissions issue within IE.

Have you tried firefox or chrome (though they may not be options if the critical technology is silverlight) ?

It loads the site. Just doesn't load the data in the site.

If I take the computer off the domain and through it in a workgroup, it works.

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 11
i concur with checking the domain security policy then. this change could have been made months ago, but some policy changes won't affect the server until they have been restarted. any recent updates requiring a reboot?

i'd start by opening the gpe (or ad users/computers since it is a 2003 level) and checking the security settings

The odd thing about it being a group policy issue is that I thought policy settings don't "reset" when you leave a domain - they should just stay as they are until they are changed via local security policy.

No?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom