Vice (hbo) (1 Viewer)

coldseat

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody else see the previews for this? It looks pretty good and I'm looking forward to checking it out once it starts. They say it will be out in the spring of this year, though I don't know of an exact date.

<iframe src="http://www.hbo.com/data/content/global/videos/embed/data/1301475.html?height=288&width=512" height="288" width="512" style="overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" seamless="seamless" frameborder="0" type="text/html"></iframe><div><a title="What is VICE? Featurette" href="http://www.hbo.com/video/video.html/?autoplay=true&vid=1301475&filter=vice&view=null">What is VICE? Featurette</a></div>

Though one of the executive producers worry me (Bill Maher) because of his personal views, I'm hoping this news/documentary style/show, will be very informing and interesting. I can deal with slant, just don't be ridiculous about it. I would just like to learn more about things going on around the world and be drawn into the story/entertained and to provoke thought all at the same time.

I've been a huge Vice fan for a long time. They have some outstanding material. For those of you that may not have ever heard of them, they cover a lot of stories and places that traditional media can't or won't show you. They get smuggled into places (North Korea, Gaza Strip, Libya and Egypt when everything was hitting the fan) and do documentaries from inside of the countries. One of my favorites is the North Korean one. It gives you an inside look into the bat **** craziness.

The VICE Guide to North Korea | VICE United States

Another one to look up (if you're pressed for time) is their Chernobyl one. Only about 8 minutes, but it's pretty entertaining and informative.

I've been a huge Vice fan for a long time. They have some outstanding material. For those of you that may not have ever heard of them, they cover a lot of stories and places that traditional media can't or won't show you. They get smuggled into places (North Korea, Gaza Strip, Libya and Egypt when everything was hitting the fan) and do documentaries from inside of the countries. One of my favorites is the North Korean one. It gives you an inside look into the bat **** craziness.

The VICE Guide to North Korea | VICE United States

Another one to look up (if you're pressed for time) is their Chernobyl one. Only about 8 minutes, but it's pretty entertaining and informative.

My favorite is The Vice Guide to Liberia. That place is completely ****ed too.

Also, the HBO show premieres this Friday (5th).

My favorite is The Vice Guide to Liberia. That place is completely ****ed too.

Also, the HBO show premieres this Friday (5th).

Ah I forgot about Liberia! +1 That was an outstanding one.

cant wait for it.

I had heard that the Rodman visit to NK was part of Vice getting into NK.

Also, for anyone who enjoys VICE stuff, check out Shane Smith's (founder of VICE) appearances on Joe Rogan's podcast. That man has some mindblowing stories.

Premieres tonight.

The first episode on Friday night was strong. If this is any indication of the series to come, I will be tuning in regularly with anticipation.

I had two very strong visceral reactions to both the piece on the Philippians election and the one on the Taliban Child Suicide Bombers. First was a strong appreciation for our election process here in the states. It's very easy to become cynical living here because of the fact that money is pumped into our elections by special interest, business and the banking industry all engineered to manipulate the election, but when you compare it to the violence that is used for manipulation in other parts of the world. I'd chose ours every time. I know it's not unique to the US (non-violent elections that is), but I much prefer it to what is happening there in the Philippians.

The second reaction I had was a profound sadness for the children in both stories. They have no future, no hope, no chance. They're just a means to an end by the adults who use them. It left me wondering about their parents. Are these children abducted? Are the parents part of the movement and give their children willingly? Do they send their children to these madrassa and camps unaware of what is happening there? Are these children orphans? IDK, it's all just very sad and seems helpless.

BTW, there are some very strong images on this show.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom