Victor Butler just left without a contract offer (1 Viewer)

Players leave visits from the Saints without offers all the time.

It happens every free agency period. Sometimes we end up signing them.

I think the Saints offered what they hoped to get him for, but now will be trying to get Bryant McKinney. Nnamdi might still get signed but I think the likelihood of us getting a top notch LT in the draft is low so they'd rather draft a pass rusher at 15 and get a stop gap LT for this year, and still hope to have enough to get Nnamdi. Remember we still need to have about 4 million dollars to sign our rookies.

Players leave without offers all the time. Some times it works out for the best. Do you guys recall that cb who didn't want to sign with us but rather resign with the Rams. We signed Jabari Greer and won a Super Bowl, and I think he just got cut by the Raiders.

Players leave the signs without offers all the time. Some times it works out for the best. Do you guys recall that cb who didn't want to sign with us but rather resign with the Rams. We signed Jabari Greer and won a Super Bowl, and I think he just got cut by the Raiders.

Ron Bartell.

Players leave the signs without offers all the time. Some times it works out for the best. Do you guys recall that cb who didn't want to sign with us but rather resign with the Rams. We signed Jabari Greer and won a Super Bowl, and I think he just got cut by the Raiders.

Yeah Loomis has, in trades, resignings, free agency, whatever, shown a pretty consistent pattern. They set a price point and then stick to it. Players leave, visit other teams, other GM's "pull the offer", players hold out, whatever. And Loomis sits there, as zen as Buddha under the Bodhi tree.

This doesn't mean we never overspend, and it doesn't mean we always get our man. But we always get the player at exactly the price point we intended, we can infer that. He simply does not get sucked into bidding wars.

tons of OLB prospects in this draft , in every round, not real worried about finding one, He should be more worried about finding a team

Worst case for him he could be is he wants more money only by the time he realizes the best offer out there has already moved on to someone else. Then he ends up with even less.

Butler is looking for the highest bidder. It was rumored that he was seeking @ $5M per year when he went visit the Steelers. My guess he is still seeking $4M now (two weeks later) and Loomis is think much lower. I'm glad we didn't over pay.

Interesting though that we even brought him in then. Ryan is familiar with him and the Saints surely had an idea from his agent as to what he was looking for as far as a contract.

Interesting though that we even brought him in then. Ryan is familiar with him and the Saints surely had an idea from his agent as to what he was looking for as far as a contract.

Sure but why would that prohibit him from visiting? If we have the sense that the market won't bear that sort of contract, even the chance that it won't, why not sell him on the team now so that when his price drops we can lock him up quickly? Now we can assume he knows what the Saints plans and price for him is, and as he visits other teams he can keep us in the back of his mind.

Maybe he left because he didn't think he cold win a starting job. :idunno:

They probably decided it would be best to allocate the remaining cap on Aso and Mckinnie and go after a OLB in The draft.

Sure but why would that prohibit him from visiting? If we have the sense that the market won't bear that sort of contract, even the chance that it won't, why not sell him on the team now so that when his price drops we can lock him up quickly? Now we can assume he knows what the Saints plans and price for him is, and as he visits other teams he can keep us in the back of his mind.

That could be the case. I am not sure he really needs to be sold given the reports (if accurate) and his familiarity with Ryan. However, if he is really looking for $4-$5 million a year, he is way off base.

Alot of jumping to conclusions here... the dude has options, and he's weighing them. Could mean anything that he left w/out a contract. Keenan Lewis is the only one that we know of that signed initially... but he had his mind made up already.

Nobody even knew about Watson until he signed.

Let Butler go and see if Cleveland offers what he wants... if he's gonna be a Saint, then it'll happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom